Guessing Game: What's next?

By DragonWhimsy, in Battles of Westeros

With Lords of the River out now and Tribes of the Vale on it's way to stores it's likely that in the near future we will get an announcement on what is next for BoW. So it's time to go on record with your guesses!

There is to be no cheating with "maybe this faction and maybe that faction" you have to give a definitive guess to one faction. You may name factions after that if you think they will follow after. Please feel free to leave your reasoning as well.

Let the games begin!

I've been rereading the series both because of the HBO release and because I've been playing a lot of BoW. My guess is based off of what I've been reading. Here's a few important points for the reasoning of my own guess:

--Book spoilers follow! --

-FFG's has been following the books in chronological order where it comes to the overall flow of the war even when creating original battles.

-After the Tullys and Clansmen none of the Houses following Stark and Lannister really seem to doing anything major enough on their own to require being added as a neutral faction (during the mid-end of the second book where we are currently). Frey isn't even on Lannister's side and the only major action Bolton has been involved in was either already covered or in the case of the taking of Harrenhal was only a minor skirmish. In other words it's not their time yet.

-In general I'm getting the feeling that the Tullys and Clansmen are fan favorites but any further releases before coming out with one of the other major factions would be considered "stringing players along".

-Renly Baratheon never really takes part in the war and will likely never be covered as a faction for BoW.

-Stannis sits at Storm's End for much of the second book.

-Before Stannis stirs House Greyjoy has already taken the north.

-House Greyjoy fights House Stark. House Stark is most likely the most popular house.

And so my guess is... House Greyjoy . Dun! Dun! Dun! Not the faction I think most would have guessed. But there it is!

Following that release my guess is that it will be House Baratheon under Stannis. Furthermore I guess that each faction will get two releases to bring them up to the variety that Stark and Lannister enjoy. Next year will be dominated by House Greyjoy and Baratheon giving us TWO new major factions and NO new neutral factions.

It is also my guess that these expansions will depart from what we are used to and will mix in this year's expansions miniatures for scenarios as well as the core set. For example it makes sense to have Rodrik Cassel in the north and the Clansmen engage Stannis' forces.

And there you have it. My guess for year two of Battles of Westeros!

I must agree. Baratheon and Greyjoy are the other factions of the War of the 5 Kings. Nothing else would make sense given that TWot5K is the context of the game at this point.

Although the game contains characters that never fought in the war (Eddard).

IraShaine1972 said:

I must agree. Baratheon and Greyjoy are the other factions of the War of the 5 Kings. Nothing else would make sense given that TWot5K is the context of the game at this point.

Although the game contains characters that never fought in the war (Eddard).

For the very reason you cite above, I think although the chronological release makes a lot of sense, fans of the books and the HBO series would not have their noses put out of joint too much if they widened the scope and created some 'hypothetical' situations as well. It's possible they could rework some of the forces under Renly Baratheon - after all, he had an unusual mixture of allies during his approach towards King's Landing, and seeing them getting an opportunity to fight the Lannisters would be quite fun, if nothing else.

I agree with the idea that House Greyjoy seems a good next release, with reavers and iron born stomping around the battlefield - but how about more 'historical' battles too for the diehard fans of the books, like the Battle of the Trident between Robert Baratheon / Ned Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen? In fact, even Daenerys' force, released in advance of her likely return to Westeros would be great - but maybe that's heresy?

Or, has anyone considered the Night's Watch, and the Wildlings? This would allow for some changes in the terrain and basic board too.

I think your reasoning for Greyjoy is sound- they also have the advantage they could in theory fight the Lannisters just as easily, lending to a good crop of hypothetical scenarios.

However, I think a case can be made for House Baratheon being next:

1) Viewers of the HBO series will be more familiar with House Baratheon due to seeing Robert, etc.

2) While the Ironmen invade the north, there are few major battles (iirc)- on the other hand, the Battle of Kings Landing is one of the largest in the war- enough to generate a whole book of scenarios.

3) Involving that battle also leaves open the door for Tyrell to be involved more easily.

All in all though I think it will be either Baratheon and then Greyjoy or Greyjoy then Baratheon....

However, with Dance of Dragons coming out this summer (in theory) I think there is a chance that FFG will go 'off schedule' and release a Targ-centered set.

-Will

Whatever its going to be, it should be soon. Since they first announced the game they have not gone this long without announcing something new for it. Also, they have not gone more than 3 months without releasing something new and the announcement of everything comes 2-4 months before the release. The last release was getting close to a month ago and the last announcement was 3 months ago. The way I see it there are three possibilities:

1. They are going to slow down the release schedule (least favorite option). I'm pretty sure this is selling well enough to keep making expansion at the rate they are, but that is just an educated guess.
  2. They are real close to announcing the next expansion.
  3. This one is taking a bit longer because its a core game release. (favorite option)

Actually I believe Tribes of the Vale only came out last week so it might be a little while longer before the next expansion is announced.

Though I still think it'll be Greyjoy that's next I was thinking on it more and came up with what I wish the next expansion would be and it's the one I think would boost the game the most as well. Aided by the fact I just finished rereading A Clash of Kings and the Battle of Blackwater Bay within.

The Battle of Blackwater Bay expansion would be the same price as the core set and would include:

-The complete House Baratheon army including a full five commanders and as much variety in forces as Stark or Lannister have with the core set and their specific Warden expansion.

-1 doublesided mapboard (side A is Blackwater Bay (also suitable for all future naval battles), side B is the walls of King's Landing (which would be suitable for any future siege scenarios as well).

-The following miniatures in the light tan neutral color: (catapults, bolt throwers, ships).

-1 campaign book. This book would be softbound and be about the size of the Battlelore rulebook. It would include both a Stark/Lannister campaign and a Lannister/Baratheon campaign (if the Greyjoy expansion were already out it could include a Stark/Greyjoy campaign as well) and would make use of the neutral machines above and the new mapsheet wherever needed. Scenarios would probably allow you to choose your own forces so as to allow you to include forces from any expansion applicable. The campaign rules would "borrow" ideas from the Memoir '44 campaign with a FFG twist.

Rather than a new core set that stood on it's own it would be the ultimate expansion to the game and take it to the next level. It would release just in time for Gen Con to make the largest splash possible.

It'll never happen. But that's my dream product that I think would draw the most notice from gamers and take the game from awesome to epically awesome in a single release. It gets some war machines involved so battles become more than just infantry and cavalry and provides us with the campaign book so many seem to want but never seem to sell well enough as their own seperate product (notice there is no second campaign book for Memoir '44, nor did the seperate Decent adventure book get a second volume... apparently board gamers don't like to buy books alone).

My Track Record with BoW releases hasn't been all that great (the Vale Expansion was a complete surprise) but I'm saying the Traitors,Fey/Bolton.It's partly wishful thinking but it would finish off Stark/Lannister & how much longer can we be expected to go without Roose?

It's really hard to predict as I'm sure FFG wants to put out what would give them the biggest bang for a release,that would be a Greyjoy/Baratheon big box,that would open the way for Wildlings/Black Watch Expansion.It is hard to see how Greyjoy,Baratheon,Wildlings & Black Watch could be put out as small box Expansions.

So it's obviously going to be Tyrell! In any case my plastic is ready.

OD

I know tribes just released, but since they announced the game the only time they didn't have an release announced was for 2-3 weeks back in December and it seems Tribes was release toward the end of April, putting us at that same 2-3 weeks.

Also, I'm an eternal optimist, so my my point of view the next expansion is going to be announce today or at latest on Monday.

@old dwarf: I'm still betting Fey/Bolton will wait till we move more into the 3rd or 4th book. And Fey wouldn't finish off Lannister... Tyrell counts for Lannister even more. Though I admit seeing Highgarden as a full faction would be cool as they're one of my favorites. But if Tully got put in as a neutral house I'd bet Tyrell will as well.

*is keeping my fingers crossed for a full Tyrell faction anyway*

@tehhuntre: The sooner the better. I have so many scenarios to play still I don't need it to be released anytime soon but it's always reassuring to know whats next. I'm guessing it'll come out in August though so it can be at Gen Con and if that's the case I'd definetly expect the announcement sooner rather than later.

I think a Bartheon/Greyjoy big box set would work as it would allow the Greyjoy rebellion to play out. This would be my choice for the next big thing.

The Wildling/Night's Watch makes sense, too.

I also think a Tyrell/Martell big box set makes sense in the future as well as historically there is some animosity between those two houses.

Ok, may be it will be Greyjoy. And it will be realy cool for me and favorably for ffg, as I know, there is many fanats of this guys. In the continuing of new terrain: what new token, places and other things might be added in the game?

• DragonWhimsy said:
    -1 doublesided mapboard (side A is Blackwater Bay (also suitable for all future naval battles), side B is the walls of King's Landing (which would be suitable for any future siege scenarios as well).
  • Yeahh, nice. I doubt what we will ever see a naval battles, but fights on seaside looks fresh and funny.
  • May be we will see dynamic landing on the coast from boats. In this case we have not start disposition and form our "squad" around commanders on the fly.
  • Iron payment(sorry, do not found... is it right term?). You will get some moral or token for the each destroyed construction or unit.
  • May be we will taken some dragons anytime... and may be we will taken some magic horn soon

Other ideas?

For me, FFG should release big box with Night Watch vs Wildings or Others, but... also idea with Baratheon/Greyjoy is very good idea happy.gif

Ok, here are my two cents for the next expansion:

In an ideal world, we get a next big expansion consisting of another map thus one can introduce epic style games. Additionally two more big houses (Baratheon and Greyjoy?). This box can work as a core set all on it's own. We would also find tiles to build up a town with walls and towers. Perhaps even an inner wall (or enough tiles to make even two or three inner walls) and a keep. Thus, sieges would be possible.

However: This big box set is most likely too expansive (I don't know how good BoW is doing so far saleswise. Hope the HBO series helps...).

Thus, here is my wishlist for a small box: House Baratheon with city tiles and siege engines.

I heartily agree with all that has been said above. Greyjoy and Baratheon look best for completely new factions. The idea of some completely new types of units is very appealing. Greyjoys sailing up rivers in their longships looks lovely. If I remember the books correctly, the big assault by the Wildings that nearly took the Wall, was stopped by the timely arrival of the Stannis army. The only person to react to the pleadings of the Night Watch for help. Therefore, the Wildings also look good, while adding a bit more 'fantasy' to the show. If and when the new book(s) finally bring the Dothraki to Westeros to fight whatever/whoever is left, makes a mouthwatering prospect. Still a little way off from that though. Cheers!

I'm going with House Greyjoy . There is military conflict between houses Greyjoy and Stark...maybe even enough to base some BoW expansion(s) on. I wouldn't know who to add as supporting factions, though.

Ultimately, I would really like to see all the major houses to be available for BoW, just like in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game . There's nothing like writing your own history by pitting Stannis Baratheon against his brother Renly or one of them against House Stark. House Targaryen is one of the four playable powers in A Game of Thrones: The Card Game so I'd like to see something there, too.

Warning: Spoilers for all books!

A year after the last post we know what the next addition is…

But what will come next?

Personally, I'd love to see a House Bolton ally expansion.

They are the one faction that fought against Lannisters, against Starks and are going up against Baratheon, so there are all sorts of "canon" battles to fight: Just imagine: The big battle at the end of game of thrones, the battle at Winterfell, the "battle" at the twins, a preview of the battle on the ice in WoW.

And with Roose Bolton and Ramsay Snow we have two great choices for commanders. Maybe they could do Steelshanks Walton as a third.

I think a House Tyrell expansion would be the next logical choice. They could make them ally force like the Tully's or Clansmen, and would give a second ally to the Lannisters, or they could side with the Baratheons as well.

This has been mentioned, but I think a Battle at the Wall: WIding vs Night's Watch would be awsome. It could be a stand alone set.

If FFG follows the core house box and then espansion/allies box probably we will see Tyrell (although they changed sides, they were Renly allies, before is death), probably that's why we didn´t see a Loras Tyrell miniature in this last box.

I think as well that FFG is saving the Tyrells for a separate box, probably an ally expansion. Maybe with Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly?

Not wanting to be pedantic, but technically Tyrell are one of the great houses…however, saying that I do think they would presently fit better as an ally to either Baratheon or Lannister, as suggested above happy.gif Although the way things are going in the books, they may see some bigger fisticuff action soon.

And whilst Greyjoy make sense as the next great house release, given that they have fought pretty much everyone, I would much prefer to see a Nightswatch Vs. Wildlings new core set release. They are two very distinct sides - especially the Wildlings - with the opportunity for some really creative units and characters. Plus, the battle at the wall would make for a great advanced scenario happy.gif

Oh, and I second the Boltons as an ally force. Imagine the fun you could have taunting your opponent after capturing one of his commanders, knowing full well that they're likely to end up at the end of a flaying knife…or killing the sadistic Bastard of House Bolton, if you prefer!

No sure what that fat oaf mace would be doing in an expansion, it should be redwyne, or Loras' brother.

sirvolkar said:

Oh, and I second the Boltons as an ally force. Imagine the fun you could have taunting your opponent after capturing one of his commanders, knowing full well that they're likely to end up at the end of a flaying knife…or killing the sadistic Bastard of House Bolton, if you prefer!

It would be fun to have the Boltons as a "Stark" ally helping Robb, and set up a battle where if moral gets too low, have them switch sides.

My guess is that they will eventually make a Tyrell expansion. Otherwise, they would have had Loras instead of Andrew Estermont. I agree that a Greyjoy expansion would come next. I just don't know how FFG would represent them on the BOW board. With the Baratheon Expansion, they sort of explored the use of ships traveling on river hexes, but there needs to be a way to combat ship units from non-water hexes.