A campaign system using BoW and aGoT/SoS expansion?

By Mickymonty, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

I don't know if anyone has already considered this on either site - but how good would a marriage of these two games be(that is, Battles of Westeros and A Game of Thrones)? You would use Game of Thrones as a campaign map, jockeying for position with your units, and then, dependent on the amount of forces fielded, play a Battles of Westeros set-up to resolve the outcome.

I imagine you would need some means of working out the lay-out of the terrain thatwould be equitable, and a suitable set-up to enable the game to be played out as a straightforward skirmish battle, an ambush perhaps or some other situation that would suit with the location and predominant terrain. The Storm of Swords expansion for A Game of thrones would be even better suited because of its focus on the area around the Riverlands, and its specific focus (or at least closer focus) on Lannister and Stark.

The significant problem is that BoW does not provide models for Baratheon, Greyjoy, Tyrell, Frey, Martell, Arryn etc... - and so this is not something that you could do immediately - but the use of these two systems together would seem like a grand project!

What do aGoT players think?

I have never played Battles of Westeros but I am, as of late, considering to buy it.

Nonetheless, I would say: Technically doable .

Since all conflicts within any one region are only between any two factions, you don't need more than 2 players worth of miniatures. What you do need, however, is the cards that go with each house; those you may have to manufacture yourself.

All in all the game would become very lengthy...to a degree where a single game would last an entire weekend or more. Not many people would jump for joy at that prospect, I'm sure.

On the other hand, some of the mechanics in A Game of Thrones and Battles of Westeros seem to be covering the same ground. Using the battle cards of AGoT, the command tokens, and the regions you battle in, you may not need a lot of the lengthy mechanics of BoW; the cards and tokens used in AGoT would determine a lot of the settings used in BoW and then you just take it from there: what units to use, what commander's abilities etc.

Since I'm into longer campaign style games I'd say it's worth a shot for someone who doesn't mind games that can take 12+ hours to play over the course of several days...better if you have a bonus room, man cave, basement, or attic to play so you don't have to pack ip up at the end of each session. ;)

RedMike said:

I don't know if anyone has already considered this on either site - but how good would a marriage of these two games be(that is, Battles of Westeros and A Game of Thrones)? You would use Game of Thrones as a campaign map, jockeying for position with your units, and then, dependent on the amount of forces fielded, play a Battles of Westeros set-up to resolve the outcome.

I imagine you would need some means of working out the lay-out of the terrain thatwould be equitable, and a suitable set-up to enable the game to be played out as a straightforward skirmish battle, an ambush perhaps or some other situation that would suit with the location and predominant terrain. The Storm of Swords expansion for A Game of thrones would be even better suited because of its focus on the area around the Riverlands, and its specific focus (or at least closer focus) on Lannister and Stark.

The significant problem is that BoW does not provide models for Baratheon, Greyjoy, Tyrell, Frey, Martell, Arryn etc... - and so this is not something that you could do immediately - but the use of these two systems together would seem like a grand project!

What do aGoT players think?

This sounds a bit like the Total War series of computer games. I would be all for this, but working it out might be tough, especially for newer players of either/both games.