Black Crusade Interview

By bmaynard, in Black Crusade

I just finished listening to episode 56 of the World's End Radio podcast.

They've got an interview with Ross Watson and Sam Stewart on development for Black Crusade. Starts about an hour ten into it. Some interesting stuff in there like shared purpose and a team goal.

Thanks for the heads up mate. I really enjoyed the interview and it did have some insights I didn't pick up on before.

Can you post a link?

This obviously goes with the recent post on the page as well, but am I the only one who is perhaps a bit 'meh' on the Apotheosis thing? I'm not a huge fan of designed 'end points' in games, it can seem great in theory, but almost seems like a very real hurdle in the way of sustained, long term campaigns in Black Crusade.

I'm also a bit sad, as I was hoping Daemon Prince level play was going to be supported, not the 'win' condition!

Also, mutations, while they seem to work well for Fantasy, they always seemed a lot less common amongst the BIG champions of Chaos in 40k, most of the big name Traitor Marines don't seem to have them (Barring of course Plague Marines), and some of the really powerful ones in the books seemed to have full on control of how they end up looking (See for instance the leaders in the last Grey Knights trilogy book - though it seems at least some of them are probably Daemon Princes, maybe?)

To me it's a shame that some of them, especially the more 'icky' ones are probably going to be likely, I really hope it is possible to play a Chaos Follower who is trying to embrace it in such a way that they don't get mutations like mad but can still be powerful.

Dulahan said:

This obviously goes with the recent post on the page as well, but am I the only one who is perhaps a bit 'meh' on the Apotheosis thing? I'm not a huge fan of designed 'end points' in games, it can seem great in theory, but almost seems like a very real hurdle in the way of sustained, long term campaigns in Black Crusade.

I suppose the better moment to resolve an apotheosis is at the end of a campaign. Anyway it seems very long and difficult to attain such level of corruption. I don't think there will be many cases you will have to resolve.

But if a player reach such limit, I think you have two options for not ending abruptly this character:

1) Introduce a plot that smoothly plays the "ascension" or "descend" of the character. Make it part of the campaign history.

2) Ignore the whole mechanic and continue playing. Maybe invent rules for higher-than-100 corruption characters.

Or they plan to make a demon lord expansion in the future like Ascension for Dark Heresy.

That's actually a very good point. This is intended to be a new line of the franchise. There will be lots of new books down the road - a "player's handbook" like all others received is pretty much guaranteed, but it won't stop there.

Dulahan said:

I'm also a bit sad, as I was hoping Daemon Prince level play was going to be supported, not the 'win' condition!

Also, mutations, while they seem to work well for Fantasy, they always seemed a lot less common amongst the BIG champions of Chaos in 40k, most of the big name Traitor Marines don't seem to have them (Barring of course Plague Marines), and some of the really powerful ones in the books seemed to have full on control of how they end up looking (See for instance the leaders in the last Grey Knights trilogy book - though it seems at least some of them are probably Daemon Princes, maybe?)

To me it's a shame that some of them, especially the more 'icky' ones are probably going to be likely, I really hope it is possible to play a Chaos Follower who is trying to embrace it in such a way that they don't get mutations like mad but can still be powerful.

In a game like this I see a good reason why there would be such a limit. I think in the end there has to be some way to curb power scales. Otherwise would there be no reason why someone shouldn't embrace corruption as fast as he can? z

But I do suspect there will be rules for playing a deamon prince. I'm just overall not to thrilled with the concept of mutations.

Ops double post.