New ability need feedback

By Drglord, in Descent Home Brews

Borgans ability gave me an idea for a new ability. The ability will be that if you are not in the LOS of a monster you may move to any other square that no monster has LOS. Or enemy figure if you like instead of monster. I was thinking of either paying MP to do that or fatigue. It doesn't sound powerful since you will probably end up away from the action and you can't escape from a battle but it creates interesting plays.

On a hero? That seems like it has the potential to break a number of specific quests; for example, consider using it to teleport the princess around the map in base game quest 4.

Okay you teleport her so what? There is nothing to be gain. Most likely you will end up alone in a place with spawn possibilities near by and unless i am missing something what will you gain by teleporting around with her? Since you can't escape the dungeon.

The rest of the heroes meet up with you via glyph (which the princess can't take). You generally need to backtrack several times over the course of the quest, and it's a very big map, this will likely save the party several complete rounds over the course of the game.

That quest was a breeze anyway as i recall my players just opened the door of the dragon without bothering with other rooms and killed the Dragon in one round. That is the eternal problem the original quests had. As soon as you reach the final room the final combat is a joke. Anyway if you think the only problem is a single quest out of 50 or 60 out there then i really see no problem. Thanks for the feedback though but this for me at least doesn't make the ability broken or something. I had intend to use it like shadow walk in the D&D.

Drglord said:

Borgans ability gave me an idea for a new ability. The ability will be that if you are not in the LOS of a monster you may move to any other square that no monster has LOS. Or enemy figure if you like instead of monster. I was thinking of either paying MP to do that or fatigue. It doesn't sound powerful since you will probably end up away from the action and you can't escape from a battle but it creates interesting plays.

It sounds like it could be a fun ability to play with. I've certainly heard of more broken things that turned out not so bad in play testing. It might give the party some unexpected advantages on certain quests, but more often not, teleporting too far would just isolate the hero and likely get him killed. Used over short distances it could give some decent combat options and it would make for a fantastic runner if the OL got sloppy about leaving treasure unattended.

With the right balance of stats, this wouldn't be too unbalanced though. I'm thinking a relatively low-armor, melee primary hero. Too squishy to be a proper tank, but his hero ability would let him potentially double as a runner/ranger as long as he was careful. Every time he miscalculated or slipped up it would probably end messy, though. =P

I'd be sure to specify that the hero can only teleport to revealed spaces, though. Just in case. I look forward to hearing reports about how such a hero plays in actual games.

Yeah i agree and antistone's responce is quite weird since he has 4 skills already that are far more potent in his editor and could easily break the quest he said shadow guard, summon, symbiosis, and necrotic traversal. I have come down to probably a cost of 35 or 40 points with the ability being something like.

Shadowdance

Once per turn while no enemy figure has LOS to your space you may spend to 3 MP to move to any empty space of the board that enemy figures has no LOS to. (cannot enter unrevealed areas). I don't know if it expensive for activation or not though.

its no worse than the hero (whos name i cant remember atm) who can move to any space within his own line of site for 5mp. at least your abilty has a check for an enemy figure los before he can use it.