Antistone's Characters on AC

By Drglord, in Descent Home Brews

Since i didn't want to hijack antistones thread on his way cool hero generator i will post here a few of the characters i have made for our group in AC and will add as time goes by. I will give remarks on playtest experience on each ability and wherever it should be nerfed or modified for AC and my thoughts on them.

redarrow.jpg

Really amazing ability that allows you actually play her like ARTILERRY support with the ability to strike anywhere in the dungeon provided you have the neseccesary range boosts. As soon as she got inner fire and the ripper weapon along with our command guy she could strike 8 range easily and her guard action was formidable. We played her TWICE in AC both times we lost before silver but it wasn't because she was bad or something like that. I am guessing as she grows with silver and gold weapons and if she picks precision she can be really daunting for any OL (LT's can't hide from her web attacks) and she will rule dungeons as she will just stand on a glyph and create artillery shots. Really loved her.

manowark.jpg

A guy in our group is crazy about that group so that is why the picture and name. That guy was meant to be a lean mean killing machine even though i had my doubts. So far we are deep in the copper level and even though he has maxed his damage by getting shadowblade & morning star with weapon mastery and the belt of strength giving him an average of 15.8 damage i have yet to see him justify his 5 CT value since at best he will kill 3 monsters with a hit and that under special circumstances. A competent Overlord will just place his monsters as someone would place them to deny mass effect weapons as blasts and breaths. Maybe when he reaches silver and pickups the bonestick a reach 2 would multiply his area of attack maybe then we will see how it goes but for me the sweep sound amazing at start but kinda deflates later. Keep you updated as the campaign is running.

lolth.jpg

That is one crazy damage chick for a ranged variation. Played her in the campaign with Red Arrow and she was a heavy dealing chick getting lucky on her skill making her able to strike ranges up to 9 or 10 and do big damages. The ripper in her hand was a weapon of destruction. She along with the mage managed twice to bring down the demon of the unigue LT of Demon prince but in the end it did not saved us from a Tamalir Rage. Quite expensive ability but as you get more dices it is definetely worth it for heavy hitting.

urden.jpg

I love D&D hence this character. This ability is one of the best i have seen as antistone has said you spend fatigue for MP 90% of the times and this just doubles your fatigue. On a fighter is even better as most fighters have a problem getting in position for their attacks and to do battle more. We lost the campaign though but the guy was awesome with vitality potion he could move 15 SPACES and do battle which is insanse he never proved game breaking but we stopped at the end of copper. I just love movement abilities on fighter as you will see.

darkslayer.jpg

Another character not made by me but at the request of one of the players he wanted a shadowcloack mage that can deal punishment and i said to him try bolt since it COSTs 100 points in antistones so it must be cool. Well it didn't proved that way. You still need fatigue to get in place and for our OL it was even easier to deal with bolt that dealing with a breath weapon since it might be long but it quite restricted in width covering only 2 spaces. Shadowcloack for some reason didn't help him survive and since it costs about 75 points since it removes you 1 armor and costs 15 points it doesn't sound cool if you don't back it up with something else. It could be though that we played him poor. My only thoughts were that if he were to pick up ignore shadowcloack ability he would definetely RULE all LT's encounters destroying everything on sight making him probably unplayble for the OL. We also lost that campaign in late copper but keep in mind that most of our campaigns have been against a crazy lucky OL with dices you would not believe.

belial.jpg

Playing him in our current campaign and he is really awesome. I love a mage who doesn't need spiritwalker to survive and can even be in the front of the lines with 4 armor and immunity to melee attacks. Has been one of the most heavy armored mage i have seen since i always found battlemage quite poor as a mage.

baltazar.jpg

Another mage we played for a full copper level really loved the advance and aim since he was chocking down power potions by the dozen and killing heavy duty monsters and lt's. It could be that we are always unlucky with our rolls (if we battle and not miss we throw parties) to the point of stupidity but i really like the power of aim attack even if it is in advance since you have to move to get in position so i prefer to hit one good power shot than spray around shells misfiring. Really nice ability didn't felt broken rightly priced.

arieltheghost.jpg

The best runner i will probably see in descent. After seeing Drittz in action i just had to made a runner like that. She drew as a starting skill SKILLED and she can do 33 Spaces with a vitality potion making quite QUITE fast. She won't do anything else at all but the ability to sweep through dungeons in a single turn means she will speed up the game alot giving little time for the OL to bog you down. Useless at encounters but you can't have it all ;) Haven't picked up acrobat but she is next in line for that skilled.

alastriel.jpg

Last but not least for sure. A character we are currently playing and the first i disagree against Antistone about being really underpriced. Vigor at a cost of 20 sounds really underpriced when something like varikas ability costs 55 (which i find extreme). This chick has picked up leadership and ghost armor and she effectively has unlimited leadership and regens 4 wounds if needed by her ghost armor and attacks also if you need. I find vigor to be extreme since you always have MP to spare since you won't be moving ALL the time full you speed (unless you are fighter and need the MP). The argument of Antistone was that he has a ability that you didn't lose your order by getting wounds but that is no way compared with this one. Cause you can throw all your fatigue in one attack and then get them back immediately for your ghost armor or anything else you want. And if you are missing 1 or 2 fatigue you would never spend an attack or your whole speed to rest in order to get them back while now i just spend 2 MP and voila i am full. I have yet to end a round where i am not full in fatigue. I really believe this should be alot higher up to 50 or ever more since it is a game changing ability. Would like more feedback on this one.

That will be all for today i guess. This is just a small sample of the character i have made and played.

Would love the feedback.

P.S. Pictures were picked from the web and are used without permission for personal use. If anyone identifies something that he legally owns i would be happy to remove it from my imageshack. Also all credit goes to the artists of each picture sorry i could not identify you.

Drglord said:

(Red Arrow)

We played her TWICE in AC both times we lost before silver but it wasn't because she was bad or something like that. I am guessing as she grows with silver and gold weapons and if she picks precision she can be really daunting for any OL (LT's can't hide from her web attacks) and she will rule dungeons as she will just stand on a glyph and create artillery shots. Really loved her.

Gut instinct is "yikes!" but if you've playtested her and she seems reasonable (if powerful) then that's good to hear. I'm not so sure the Precision would be such a great skill for her, though. It might be handy if there's a long, wide obstacle but I suspect that a lot of things could be dodged around diagonally without adding that much range. The primary problems for her are going to be walls, which Precision does nothing to help with.

Give her Lucky and/or Rapid Shot and see how much pain she could cause without opening herself to counterattack, though =P

Drglord said:

(Manowar)

A guy in our group is crazy about that group so that is why the picture and name. That guy was meant to be a lean mean killing machine even though i had my doubts. So far we are deep in the copper level and even though he has maxed his damage by getting shadowblade & morning star with weapon mastery and the belt of strength giving him an average of 15.8 damage i have yet to see him justify his 5 CT value since at best he will kill 3 monsters with a hit and that under special circumstances.

Interesting. If he's not justifying his 5 CT cost as is, the first thing I'd be inclined to do is remove the -1 damage penalty. Seems kinda tacked on anyway, not sure how much it would do as a balancing factor in general. However, I'd also like to know how often he actually dies, since high CT value is mostly pointless on tanks that don't get killed often and/or ignored by OLs in favour of squishy targets.

The rest of these I kind of glazed over, to be honest. Looks like you're having fun with them, and that's the important part.

Everyone dies on way or the other. Our OL by some miraculous dices (2 missed blocked feats, high damage rolls, wicked luck etc.) Killed him 3 times while he had 5 armor (not a mistype there it is 5) in the start of the campaign.-1 damage gives you 1 surge so it actually raises his damage output as he is always using shadowblade and later on he we will be using only reach weapons where 1 surge actually gives you 1.5 or 2 damage. I actually remember nanuk going with 7 armor against a silver manticore on the Caverns of Thull and managed to get killed since i attacked 6 times and managed 2 hits since i missed 4 times. We kinda quitted there the campaign as it was a slaughter and so far in the whole campaign we had about 60% total hits in attacks (we are always counting them on each side).

Red arrow i am guessing can me a menace with alot of dices rapid fire and lucky as you rightfully said. But as everyone knows the toughest part in AC is getting the right skills since the actions of the OL dictate what you will get and secret training for me is like actually winning 80% of the campaign if you manage to pull it off. Anyway we never saw her through silver and gold and my instinct when i saw her was also yikes and i thought it would be broken but it only looked like it for 1% of the campaign.

I have a total of 72 total new characters based on Antistone's great generator and we are sure having a blast.

Continued feedback from hero ability. Seems that ability that look broken are broken indeed and it's weird that have slipped through antistone since he seems to have made a great job.

ragnortherelentless.jpg

Tireless as i thought is completely unbalanced in cost. Varikas ability costs 55 points and tireless costs 40 :) It's no typo. The players in my group could not stop laughing when they realized that getting 2 FATIGUE per round was offset by not being able to drink vitality potions. After they stopped laughing about half an hour later this ability proved border line ridiculous in cost. Since it is the same as Brother Glyr's Ability maybe even better since you recover fatigue and can use them even for attacks. I believe Brother Glyr's Ability is one of the best in game since it gives amazing mobility in battle situations where the party fighter will be 90% of the time. Rightfully the cost for that is 70 in antistone's ability. But tireless is 40 which is well.... Anyway this ability should really cost at least 60 points or even 70 as it is in fact up to par with that specific ability. I would even lower Varikas ability as i still believe it is overcosted but don't really mind since i have played enough with him and will never bother with that ability again.

nightshade.jpg

Second player drawn now i won't say that anything is miss costed in this case but it seems maybe the whole stealth thing should be revisited since when it is with dodge it becomes ridiculous. Statistically you have 70% of dodging all attacks against you when you have stealth & dodge but sure feels alot more in real game situations. Not to mention you will never be probably attacked since expending attacks on such a character would be a waste.

blackstaff.jpg

This should seriously must be rebalanced really no thought was made considering that ability since it is in par with Tahlia THAT COST's 90 points and this ability costs a meager 30 points really no consistency there. This guy is immortal if played right since he will always get out of moving range of the spawns as he plays in the OL's turn. Seriously back to the board with that cost. Something like 50 or 60 would be more applicable as this allows you to battle in the OL's turn laughing at his face and his meager spawns.

And yes all these 3 were drawn to the same party quite the luck. Anyway it is good we spot them so they can be fixed that is the whole point i guess but these abilities were just monstrously off in their costs and it is weird.

That's hardly fair.

Ragnor the Relentless: You're playing in AC, right? I've already told you a dozen times that I haven't even tried to make the prices correct for AC. In vanilla, there's no limit on the potions you can buy per week; it's entirely plausible that you'll drink one during every turn of every major fight for the entire quest. Being unable to drink them is a meaningful disadvantage.

Nightshade: That's not even a legal combination of abilities in the default version of my editor. There are hundreds of thousands of legal combinations, if you can't find something broken without inventing new ones then your cheese-fu is weak.

Blackstaff: You say it's on par with a 90-BP ability, and then suggest it should cost 50? Your estimates differ from each other by more than your closer one differs from the current price! You clearly have no idea what it's worth.

Tahlia's ability lets you move during the overlord's turn, AND it gives you a free half-action. In my estimation, the free half-action is easily the more valuable of those two effects. Battling during the overlord's turn doesn't let you "laugh at his face and his meager spawns" particularly more than if you and one ally each placed a Guard order. This is a weird ability and it's entirely possible my off-the-cuff guess at it's value is incorrect (especially if you found a synergistic perk), but you're just spouting nonsense.

Since you wanted a legal i have one i just wanted your reaction here is my cheese fu but take note i never said the prices were broken.

zentheimmortal.jpg

She is even worst than nightshade. Probably about 2 times more tough to kill since she also has shadowcloack.

So what you are saying is that ragnor in Vanilla is handicapped because he can't drink vitality potions in CRUCIAL battles? You must be playing some really weird quests against some really weird Overlords.

I have tested in game the opportune moment and if you think i am spouting nosense about being a huge advantage of interrupting the whole turn in OL's turn then you are really not anything like i thought you were. This ability is 10 more times powerful in quests since you adapt your whole turn to the new conditions that continuous spawns of the OL create. I had really expected contructive dialog but your arguments are "well everyone else says no senses and what i say is right".

Saying that a guy with 3 or 4 fatigue gaining 2 fatigue per round is handicaped by not being able to drink vitality potion is something that anyone with experience of 4 hours of descent can tell. Now if that ability was made for 5 and 6 fatigue guys well i guess i don't know what to say.

As much i apreciated all your hard work you are clearly not open that you have made errors and it shows.

Ytriana Zephyrtide's Ability costs 40 points which is laughable. You only get 2 MP for a battle when if you made a 3 fatigue 4 speed fighter and you put the brother glyr ability you get the same cost and you have a guy that is 3 or 4 times better. I have alot of other suggestions and have seen some bad costs but it's clearly not open to conversation.

The alchemist is also kinda ridiculous but i haven't playtested yet. A single fatigue for any potion you want. Either you think that potions mean nothing or i don't know. And if you think that then skills in the potion section become overpowered since stuff like wrath mean that you would be able to make 3 attacks per round every time since you believe that potions fall from sky.

Anyway i am stopping my rambling now but it was caused by some harsh remarks.

P.S You should have just said my abilities are that and if anyone doesn't like them don't use them and don't talk to me about it which would be quite understandable since you spend hundreds of hours i am guessing. But probably you playing enduring evil really your experience hasn't got alot to do with real Descent.

English is not my native by on par i was meaning like tahlia's. But you were quick to insult because you thought you were offended somehow. Talhia awesome power was never the extra half action but the fact she could advance in the OL's turn messing around the best well laid plans. If you had ever player as an OL you would easily have known that. So now you have an ability that gives you more versability since you are no longer restricted to just advancing but can pretty much choose what you can do. The ability to move and attack changing the formation on the party after the spawns have been made was the broken piece about tahlia.

That is facts and arguments made by an adult instead of insulting and diminishing anything that i don't like.

As far as the cheese fu remark i never said that the costs were broken but i don't think you ever bothered reading the whole post.

I said we should rethink the whole stealth on a hero effect since you can always put a dodge order and just making it easier with an ability doesn't make it more broken. Okaluk could be easily the same thing as he can move 6 spaces and dodge when the character i have made can move 8 on a run and dodge.

Nightshade is far less annoying since she must actually place an order that you can deal with cards like pride.

So what i was saying is that i believe the impact of stealth on a hero is huge since the OL cannot counter it while heroes can always play aim and deal with stealth and monsters cannot place orders and dodge so their stealth is very weak. The whole idea stealth on a hero was broken every way you see it. And yes stealth should have been more expensive but that i leave to others for me it is a very random ability that can break the fun of game by adding more and more random effects on a game that already has too many but that is IMHO.