Expansions

By guest122127, in Cosmic Encounter

I am personally looking forward to this edition of Cosmic and am a huge fan.

I don't think the following are in this edition and like to see them in future expansions.

- More Powers

- Kickers

- Lucre

- Moons

- Reinforcements.

Based on the images already shown and the demo played @ GenCon, Reinforcements appear to be in for the initial release.

confirm, reinforcements are already avaiable.

It will be nice to have some of the old expansions reincorporated (and reimagined as well), but I have to say I'm most anxious about the new stuff. Tech will be a welcome addition after more than a decade of nothing officially new added to my CE.

If there's one thing FFG does well (across its entire line of games), it's expansions, so I'm pretty confident that any CE expansions will have all kinds of crunchy stuff for us to chew on.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see some version of moons in the near future, but I'm not going to hold my breath for lucre (or any other set of economic rules).

While I would want to see lucre rules and rules cards at some point. I dont really care if they include actual powers or tokens. lucre is something very few people enjoy so i'm fine with not everyone having to pay for a set of tokens. We curently use heavy poker chips for lucer and find it so much nicer then cardboard.

I hadn't even heard of cosmic encounter before FFG announced it but I am SO looking forward until it comes out.

So looking forward to an FFG version as opposed to that Hasborg mutant version sorpresa.gif

Gallagen said:

I hadn't even heard of cosmic encounter before FFG announced it but I am SO looking forward until it comes out.

i'm in the same situation. very excited to play it. the mechnics of having game-changing alien powers interacting with each other sounds incredibly fun.

spazard1 said:

Gallagen said:

i'm in the same situation. very excited to play it. the mechnics of having game-changing alien powers interacting with each other sounds incredibly fun.

The thing that really sells it is how easy it is to pick up the base aspects of the game. It doesn't advertise itself as a huge brain-draining game, but in the background there's all sorts of planning and scheming going on. You're not required to focus on it at all times, but in the end it rewards you in the ways you want a game to. It would not be hard to break this out at a party and get people playing it, whereas you might have problems with more Euro-style games (and I like those games, more or less). It's the perfect blend of "beer & pretzels" with "wine & cheese", and will end up being as convoluted and crazy as you and your fellow players wish it to be. Its flexibility and laid-back, unserious presentation is what made this game, in my eyes.

FFG's choices for art production and layout / presentation of the game elements makes it even easier to play in situations where a flat, square table is hard to find. Here's hoping my pre-order arrives on time... :)

What exactly is Tech?

Adam said:

What exactly is Tech?

It's new to CE as an official game mechanic, so there's no telling. I've seen some posted "house rules" that include a tech expansion, but I bet it's not going to be exactly like that. It may even only have the name "Tech" in common with those non-official rules. Only the designers and play testers know for sure, and they're not saying.

Adam said:

What exactly is Tech?

It's new. It's good. It's easy to implement, or not if you prefer a simpler game. I'll talk more about how much I really like it as soon as I escape these handcuffs, ropes, and gag.

Adam said:

What exactly is Tech?

The rules are now up. Tech basically seems to be bonuses you can get by investing a certain number of ships. So a Tech card of 5, would require 5 rounds of putting 1 ship on the card. You can put 1 ship on a tech card at the start of each player's turn. It's a gamble to see if you can spare the ships to get a good benifit.