medals

By Maedhros2, in Tide of Iron

It says that a squad with a medal(bronze, silver or Honor) gain +1 cover and ther cover cannot be reduced below 1.

My question is: Does it mean that during an assault (the attacker never as cover) the Medal squad will get 1 die of cover?

Thanks for the help.

Maedhros said:

It says that a squad with a medal(bronze, silver or Honor) gain +1 cover and ther cover cannot be reduced below 1.

My question is: Does it mean that during an assault (the attacker never as cover) the Medal squad will get 1 die of cover?

Thanks for the help.

I sent the same question to FFG and got the answer below.

Question: Normandy: The rules for the campaign specialization tokens state that the +1 cover gained by such units cannot be reduced below 1. Does this also apply if such a unit is the attacker in an assault? I would say it makes sense that it does.
Answer: You are correct as this reflects the experience (tactical and otherwise) of the soldiers.

So, yes, the attacker will have one die of cover.

KlausFritsch said:

Maedhros said:

Thanks for the help.

I sent the same question to FFG and got the answer below.

Question: Normandy: The rules for the campaign specialization tokens state that the +1 cover gained by such units cannot be reduced below 1. Does this also apply if such a unit is the attacker in an assault? I would say it makes sense that it does.
Answer: You are correct as this reflects the experience (tactical and otherwise) of the soldiers.

So, yes, the attacker will have one die of cover.

I would enter in your debate with 2 relevant questions:

Does above mentioned answer cover also these situations:

a) if Bravo unit with (let us say) one star is assaulting -> i.e. it has 1 implicit cover.

b) if Bravo unit is attacked (either at a close range or by an assault) by a flamethrower squad. Does Bravo unit retain its one star cover bonus, while

terrain cover bonus is ignored due to flamethrower specialization?

Their cover bonus due to stars is gained by experience and not provided by terrain.

Artemis said:

I would enter in your debate with 2 relevant questions:

Does above mentioned answer cover also these situations:

a) if Bravo unit with (let us say) one star is assaulting -> i.e. it has 1 implicit cover.

b) if Bravo unit is attacked (either at a close range or by an assault) by a flamethrower squad. Does Bravo unit retain its one star cover bonus, while

terrain cover bonus is ignored due to flamethrower specialization?

Their cover bonus due to stars is gained by experience and not provided by terrain.

For your item A, it doesn't matter cover/defense dice are not rolled for the attacking units in assaults. Cover is only rolled for the defender. I realize this seems to contradict what was stated above in the response from FFG but while the attack with the bronze star, silver star, or MOH do get the +1 cover, there is nothing in the assault rules that provides the attacker defense rolls. The sequence is step 4: attacker rolls their attack (black) dice and the defenders cover (red) dice and determines how many hits are scored less the number of defense successes. Step 5: the defender now rolls black dice equal to his attack strenth.

For your item B, the Bravo Unit does not work like the Bronze Star unit so it's bonus to cover is added to any terrain or improvement bonuses after which the -5 for the flamethrower is applied. The flaming death trait does not cause terrain cover to be ignored, just reduced. Though it would be tough to stack up enough cover outside of a pillbox to provide any cover, it's not impossible.

It does not matter how they get the +1 bonus to their cover since as I pointed out the Bravo Unit specialization is not like the Bronze Star specialization which states that the cover can not be reduced below 1.