encounter deck & number of players

By Gomulan, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Hi everybody,

My friends and I are have not taken a final decision about buying 1 or 2 core sets, at least for trying the game and see if we like it. We will play mostly with 3 players, sometimes 4.

I understand that we need 2 core sets for having enough token and threat trackers, but glass counters and % dice could do just fine just for trying the game. 2 core sets give the possibility to do 50 cards deck, which is interesting but just for trying the game, the preconstruced 30 cards deck are fine. And having 2 of each heroes is not useful, we can`t have the same heroes two times in play.

The only reason I see to buy immediately 2 core sets is the encounter deck. Do the encounter deck change with the number of players ? Do we use 2 encounters sets with 3 or 4 players or only one ? The rulebook don't mention it and I have searched a lot on the Web and nobody seem to know.

And I have the same question about the adventure pack that will come later. Each of the adventure pack will come with it's own encounter set, but 1 adventure pack will provide only about 30 encounter cards, it will do a very short encounter deck.... unless the new scenario that come with each adventure pack demands also one or many encounter set from the core sets.

Can someone know about these things and help me ?

Thank you, see you possibly somewhere on Middle-Earth ;-)

I actually asked myself that same question.

I think - after reading the rules and all I heard so far - that you only need one encounter deck. I base this on the assumption that there are unique enemies (many of them give victory points) and it wouldn't make sense to have them turn up twice. We discussed this issue already in the topic about victory points, but I still believe that enemies that award VP are not put on the regular discard pile for the encounter deck when defeated and thus don't get shuffled in again, once the encounter deck runs out of cards.

Back to your question: Since the encounter deck is reshuffled once it runs out of cards, basically one deck is enough. Question is if its not a bit boring when constantly the same enemies turn up...?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/643193/thoughts-on-the-need-of-buying-multiple-copies-of

Someone give this link in another thread, it answer pretty well all the question we have. I just wonder where he get these info, from assumption or directly from FFG. But given the logic of what you have said faith_star83, I'm almost sure that we don't have to double the number of encounter cards for 3-4 players.

So I will buy just one box to try with my friends and if we like it, we will buy another to go to 50 cards deck. This game seem awesone. The only worry I have is it will become boring always the same 3 scenarios and the same encounter cards, but future packs will fix that ! :-)

Have fun guys (and girls) !

The pseudo FAQ in the bgg thread is derived from the rulebook and limited play experience. Anyhow, most things said in this thread are descriptive facts while speculations are marked as such.

To answer the OP question:

1. You want to play out of the box (preconstructed decks) with up to 4 players: No need for a 2nd copy.

2. You want to start deckbuilding sooner or later: 2nd copy is strongly recommended, 3rd only for the hardcore completist

playernumberone said:

1. You want to play out of the box (preconstructed decks) with up to 4 players: No need for a 2nd copy.

Though will need to simulate the threat dial for players 3 and 4, since CS only comes with dials for two players.

Dam said:

Though will need to simulate the threat dial for players 3 and 4, since CS only comes with dials for two players.

Tough decision: It's either that or paying 40$ for the most expensive pen and paper substitution in the history of boardgaming.

I for one prefer authenticity, I abhor homebrews of any kind (even rules) as much as possible. Those dials looks pretty cool, using dice, pen and paper or whatever just wouldn't feel the same I think. Sure, the dials are kinda pointless in the overall scheme of things, since you can track that stuff through other means easily, but I would still prefer to have the actual dials. I'm as yet undecided on 1 or 2 Core Sets, even though will be playing solo and 2-player. On one hand, I don't really mind playing 30 card starter decks, but on the other, having 2 CS would enable one to fill up the decks to 50+ cards by adding cards that don't come in 3x in one CS. And there is the deck-building benefit as well.

Oh yeah, would first like to see my FLGS get the game enfadado.gif .

Dam said:

Oh yeah, would first like to see my FLGS get the game enfadado.gif .

We have an announcement.April 20th worldwide release date and a release date event at FFG center gran_risa.gif .I hope i can have my copy at April 21.

The world is change...

Release date =/= date stuff arrives at various FLGS around the world. Website for them is still showing ca. 30 April as arrival date.

Dam said:

Release date =/= date stuff arrives at various FLGS around the world. Website for them is still showing ca. 30 April as arrival date.

My copies are chilling in Charlotte, NC at the moment. I should have them tomorrow barring any shipping errors.

qwertyuiop said:

My copies are chilling in Charlotte, NC at the moment. I should have them tomorrow barring any shipping errors.

Doesn't really help my situation, does it gran_risa.gif ? Even if I were to order from overseas, by the time they arrive, FLGS probably has them as well.

Dam said:

qwertyuiop said:

Doesn't really help my situation, does it gran_risa.gif ? Even if I were to order from overseas, by the time they arrive, FLGS probably has them as well.

Come on over and play a round! Also, my FLGS changed ownership and decided to stay closed for a few months. I order where I gotta! (From Amazon)