where do you start

By ClanNatioy2, in Wings of War

If I wanted to get into this game starting with Wings of War in WW1which booster packs go along with the box sets for WW1?

never mind I just read the description of the booster packs and I figured it out. It was easier then I thought. All the products seem pretty intimidating at first to figure out what you need and what not.

If you are thinking about getting the minis per your other post, start with the new Deluxe Set. It will save you quite a bit of money!

Thanks for all the replies HMS Hajj.

I would have gotten the deluxe set but I couldn't find it any where. So I just ordered the famous aces box set and It will be here next week. I'm a little over whelmed by the miniatures. There's 48 or so different ones. That adds up to a lot of money. But I'll probably get some if I like the game enough.

I was wondering do each of the same model planes work exactly the same way? Because there are 3 different paint schemes for every plane but do they play the same way? Do I only need to buy 1 Fokker dr1 and I'm good or do the different pilots work slightly differently? I'm guessing they work the same but they just have different paint schemes so if you wanted to play with 2 or 3 Fokker dr1s you would be able to tell them apart.

Yes, basically all of the same types of planes fly the same. All the DR.Is use maneuver deck D and have 13 hit points and use the A damage deck. In some cases, one or two of the same plane types will use different damage decks. (A or B). This is due to that specific plane historically having a different gun configuration. This is most often the case where a plane was not given the top wing mounted Lewis machinegun.

The way the game is setup is that a plane with twin machineguns (either both mounted on the engine deck or one there and the other on the top wing) uses the A damage deck while a single gun plane would use the B damage deck. Most players will use the A damage deck with a B deck paint scheme unless they are playing a historic mission (so long as that plane type did in fact carry twin guns, most likely determined by another one of the minis being an A damage deck version).

So, you really only need one of each type unless you plan on having friends use your minis as well (which is almost always the case when first starting out). Most of us end up collecting the different minis, so we end up with all of them anyways! In fact, I looked at this wonderful game for probably two years at my local game store before the minis came out. That’s when I decided it was time to pick it up.

If you do decide to start getting the minis, try to pick up the scout (single seat fighter) planes you might want as soon as they come out. There are supply issues when it comes to the minis and certain types can “dry up” for extended periods of time. Most non-collectors buy one of each paint job for the scouts and a single copy of each type of two-seater. You have actually come in to the game at a pretty good time miniature wise. Series IV was just recently released, so most of the planes can still be found pretty easily (Bishop’s SE5 is pretty much gone already though) and the first 3 series are supposed to be re-released this year.