A few questions

By Kombat2, in Runewars

Hello.

So we just finished this game yesterday - but during the game a few question came up.

1. Hero movent/quest and exploration token(dungeon).

We had a player with during sommer moved to an hex where he was suppose to do his quest, on this hex the Dungeon exploration token was revealed - and therefor we began arguing if the player was allowed to do his quest, or if he had to wait until next turn.

My argument was that in the runebook it states that during summer a Hero can either Heal, Train or Move. Under movement in rulebook it states that a hero may move up to 2 areas and then attemt to duel another hero or attemt a quest. And here is the tricky part. He moved into the hex where he was supose to complete his quest, then he turns over the exploration token (a dungoen). Is he then allowed to attemt to complete his quest or does he have to wait until next summer?

My argument is that he have to wait until next summer duo to him turning over a dungeon exploration token witch states that when a hero enters a hex with the dungoen token on it he is not allowed to move any further this turn. Therefor he isnt allowed to complete his quest since's his movement is ended with that dungoen token. (reason beeing that attemt to complete a quest is part of movement)

The player with the hero in question ofcourse means that he is allowed to do his quest in this turn.

2. Routing during battle.

This question is proberly statet in the rulebook, but well we where to busy in an alrady way to long game to look it up. Player X attacks Player Y(defending), durring the battle 3 of player Y's units it routed. Player X wins and Player Y must retreat, what happens with the 3 routed units of player Y? is he allowed to retreat the routed units along with the standing units? or is the routed units destroyed when retreating?

i am pretty sure that the routed units retreating is destroyed - unless you have a tactic card that states otherwise, but it would be nice to be completly sure.

3. Tactic card that says neutral units must retreat (cant remember the tactic cards name)

There is a tactic card that when played the player that plays it chooses 1 area, all neutral units in that area retreats, even if allied to players. The question here is whom retreats those neutral units? If the player chooses an area with only neutral units, then the player that played the card chooses where the units retreats to.

But what if he chooses an enemy's players area containing neutral units? is it the player that owns that area with neutral units that then retreats them? or is it the player that played the tactic card that retreats them?

My argument was that is it the player with owns the neutral units that chooses with area they retreat to, and not the one whom played the card since it is that players units. Or - is it actually the player whom plays the tactic card that retreats the neutral units? meaning he can retreat them to an empty ajecent area and force the player to give up his neutral units.

It would be nice to have some input on question 1 and 3 since we spent a lot of time talking about these 2 question. The routing question we pretty much all agreed eventually.

Thanks in advance.

Wups, almost forgot the last question.

What is a season? a season is that meaning only sprin, summer,autom or winter. or is a season an entire year`?

Meaning for example, if the Spring card games "New requets" i think it is called where every player is allowed to requet according to all resources. It also states that all Requet card this season is considered blank, but that is for spring only right? or does it at apply until next spring?

I wrote a reply but this forum won't let me post it. something to do with you posting again while I was writing.

I can't even copy-paste from there...

Units that were routed before the battle cannot retreat and will be destroyed when they need to retreat.

Units that were routed during the battle can retreat with the rest of the standing units, and then they all become routed in the area they retreated into.

If the neutral units are not allied to anyone, the player to the left of the current player must choose an empty or uncontrolled (can have other neutral units) area for them to retreat into. If no such area exist, they are destroyed.

If they are allied to a player, that player must choose a friendly or empty area for them to retreat into. If no such area exist, they are destroyed. If they were retreated into an empty area they are now not allied with that player.

HealingAura said:

If the neutral units are not allied to anyone, the player to the left of the current player must choose an empty or uncontrolled (can have other neutral units) area for them to retreat into. If no such area exist, they are destroyed.

If they are allied to a player, that player must choose a friendly or empty area for them to retreat into. If no such area exist, they are destroyed. If they were retreated into an empty area they are now not allied with that player.

thanks for the fast response. Well ohh crap then we did it wrong regarding 3 :( we agreed that if an enemy area was chosen, then it was the player that owned the neutral units that must choose where to retreat them to. But well yes, i guess it does make it more interresting when its another player whom chooses where they should retreat to, but ****.. then i got to totally rethink howto use neutral units. i mean that tactic card pretty much **** it up for you if you are using neutral units as an front attacking force (meaning taking hex with them and having alot of empty/neutral ajecent areas after an attack).

But well i guess they are good as a defense then, where you control all the ajecent areas and pretty much don't risk loosing them.

**** i love this game so much for the tactics required :D

I agree with HealingAura about questions 2 and 3.

For question 1, I'm not 100% certain, but I would say he can still do his quest after revealing the dungeon token. Completing a quest happens when you choose a Move action, but it's not movement in and of itself. As long as the hero stays in the hex with the dungeon token, I'd say he can do whatever he likes that his chosen action and/or cards played might allow. If he had been caught in a hex other than the one his quest was for, that'd be different, as he obviously cannot continue moving to get to the hex he wanted.

For question 4, a season is one card. Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter. When a season card states something like "XX cards are blank for this season" it means until the next season card is drawn (for Summer, in the case of your example.) Those effects are pretty brief in game terms, but they can be very important in the right (wrong) circumstances.

Kombat said:

Well ohh crap then we did it wrong regarding 3 :( we agreed that if an enemy area was chosen, then it was the player that owned the neutral units that must choose where to retreat them to.

I think you misunderstand the answer, since what you are saying is exactly what happens:

Neutral units are owned: The owner chooses where to retreat the units to. If available, he must choose a friendly area. Otherwise, he must choose a neutral or empty area (and he loses control of the neutral units). If no friendly or neutral areas are available, the neutral units are destroyed.

Neutral units are not owned: The played to the left of the player playing the tactics cards decides where the neutral units retreat to. He must choose a neutral or empty area. If no neutral areas are available, the neutral units are destroyed.

#1 - Corey has ruled on this; all the Dungeon does is stop you from MOVING any further; it doesn't end that hero's quest phase, so that Hero can indeed do a quest in the area if applicable (or duel another hero)

#2 - As stated above, units routed DURING the battle may retreat (this is a specific exception). Units that were routed BEFORE the battle (ie, defender's units routed in a previous battle) are DESTROYED if they must retreat.
#3 - Again, as stated above, it's been ruled by Corey that if the neutrals are allied, the player who is allied with them controls where they retreat. If they are not allied, the person to the active player's left chooses where they retreat (per regular "neutral control" rules)
#4 - A season is one card, Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter. It begins when the card is drawn, and ends when the next card is drawn. There are no "effects" that last more than one season. For instance, Stormy Weather (a Spring event) only affects Orders 1-4 for SPRING; it won't affect the other three seasons.
If you are interested, over on Boardgamegeek, I've compiled a document of rulings from Corey K., the designer, which can be found in the Files section of the Runewars page.

sigmazero13 said:

#If you are interested, over on Boardgamegeek, I've compiled a document of rulings from Corey K., the designer, which can be found in the Files section of the Runewars page.

Gotta say I love you for that Sigmazero. I printed it off and inserted into my rule book folder. It has proved very valuable in a couple of instances.