The next book?

By crisaron, in Black Crusade

The next 40k setting book will probably be WaaaaghhhhhhhH!!!!

I'm hoping for an Eldar book, the Orks don't particularly interest me.

Seeing as how orks as player characters are already covered in a small degree in Into the Storm, I don't see a whole book for Orks coming anytime soon. Neither do I see one for Eldar either though, or any of the other races. While there is a good amount of stuff that could come out of each of the races in terms of gameplay and the quality of an individual game, I think they are mostly going to be releasing them as supplemental characters for the main core games.

Honestly, how much could you do with Eldar? Sure you could have them adventuring in the craftworld or working on behalf of a farseer. But unless the game is about rangers exploring the wider galaxy, I don't see it as being much different than DeathWatch with aspect warriors instead of space marines.

Same for Orks too. Either it would be Ork Freebooters described in more detail, Orcs rising up the green ranks to warbosses and retinue or Ork nobs slaughtering hordes. Either you fight ork and 'umies, raid 'umie and weaklin' ships, or slaughter 'umies en mass.

Tau I could see some more for, but even then, alot of it would be for the war effort and restricted due to the caste system. Not much room for the individual in that whole society, which is what makes RPGs thrive for the most part. So unless you were crack team of soldiers, or some sort of recon team it would be hard to create a whole game just for them.

Tyranids I would hate and love to see. Hate because it may just destroy the concept of the hive mind. The only way to do it would to have the players be some sort of Synapse creature, such as genestealers infiltrating an imperial world, or Warriors doing a DW game. I could see them getting better, or maybe 'evolving' or mutating but not much else.

For all these reasons I don't see any of the other races having a stand alone game, atleast not for a long time. The amount of time, effort and thought it would take to create it into an unique enough of a game to qualify it as something other than an add-on would cost more than the profit would warrant. While expansions or rules for making characters of these races to play games of the main 3 (well 4) games as either alien allies or games with all the players of the race would be more profitable. Maybe a book of the main xenos races and how to make pcs for the different games' power levels. Have an updated Ork, eldar, tau and maybe a few of the other mentioned races with stats. Give them basic career charts or make them freeform like BC will be.

The only way I can see Tau working as PC's is if the characters are part of the Farsight enclave. It's too restrictive otherwise. And, you gotta admit, the Farsight Tau certainly live in a target-rich environment. happy.gif

Cheers,

- V.

*shrugs* If they can do a PC game focused on Fire Warriors, they could certainly do an RPG as well. Throw in a couple of allied races (Kroot, Vespids, Humans, ...) and call it a day. The good thing about Tau is that despite their rigid caste system they do not seem to be too far removed from our normal way of thinking so people shouldn't have too much of a hard time actually playing them and imagening what their society and their worlds look like.

Eldar I see as much more complex/"alien" and thus problematic, whilst Orks ... I'm sorry, but I can't see Orks to be used for anything other than a somewhat comedic campaign, similar to the Deff Skwadron story, where a bunch of friends have an insane amount of fun in only 1-3 sessions (possibly dying over and over again and rolling new characters all the time). And whilst that can be a feature, it is a niche area that's already sort-of covered by the available material.

Just my two Thrones, of course.

What other stuff I would like to see would be human hive gang warfare a la Necromunda, though I suppose that can already be done with the existing material and some improvisation/houserules (perhaps the announced DH supplement for Arbitrators and Scum will contain new stuff for this angle)...

Orks are basically "standard D&D group PC" The Race. They could certainly fit. Drink, fight, brawl, fight more, get bigger as you get more powerful. Complete with built in splats.

Meanwhile, Eldar have a wonderful Heirarchy that would actually fit the DH through Deathwatch way of doing things MUCH better than any human group does. They're space elves, so have a built in following. And I'm sure lots of artists would love a shot at a book of this sort. Frankly, it's the ONLY thing that makes sense for why they weren't made playable in any way in Into the Storm, as they'd be by far the most playable option for a Rogue Trader (Amongst other things, they'd be able to blend in a lot easier than either Kroot or Ork while amongst humans). So this is my bet for the next one.

Personally, though, I hope after Black Crusade they move to a more open Level and Classless design, and just start releasing the Aliens as 'supplements' instead of new games entirely. But I doubt that will happen.

Lynata said:

*shrugs* If they can do a PC game focused on Fire Warriors, they could certainly do an RPG as well. Throw in a couple of allied races (Kroot, Vespids, Humans, ...) and call it a day. The good thing about Tau is that despite their rigid caste system they do not seem to be too far removed from our normal way of thinking so people shouldn't have too much of a hard time actually playing them and imagening what their society and their worlds look like.

Eldar I see as much more complex/"alien" and thus problematic, whilst Orks ... I'm sorry, but I can't see Orks to be used for anything other than a somewhat comedic campaign, similar to the Deff Skwadron story, where a bunch of friends have an insane amount of fun in only 1-3 sessions (possibly dying over and over again and rolling new characters all the time). And whilst that can be a feature, it is a niche area that's already sort-of covered by the available material.

Just my two Thrones, of course.

What other stuff I would like to see would be human hive gang warfare a la Necromunda, though I suppose that can already be done with the existing material and some improvisation/houserules (perhaps the announced DH supplement for Arbitrators and Scum will contain new stuff for this angle). ..

I agree that such can already be accomplished with the existing game line. I agree to such an extent that I actually have to ask what would actually need house-ruling and improvisation? The only thing I could see/think of could possibly be a few more alt ranks and background packages for additional flavor. Not strictly necessary, but nice to have.

Graver said:

I agree to such an extent that I actually have to ask what would actually need house-ruling and improvisation? The only thing I could see/think of could possibly be a few more alt ranks and background packages for additional flavor. Not strictly necessary, but nice to have.

Just a crazy idea. :P

A book about Necrons would be pretty good, also some more detail on the different alien races would be fun but I feel that one sourcebook could potentially cover a few of them, maybe linking into Rogue Trader

Lynata said:

Graver said:

I agree to such an extent that I actually have to ask what would actually need house-ruling and improvisation? The only thing I could see/think of could possibly be a few more alt ranks and background packages for additional flavor. Not strictly necessary, but nice to have.

Yup, just to offer more character options. My personal wishlist would also include more information/inspiration on (lower/under) hive societies and perhaps some sort of system to run a gang, basically turning the game into some sort of "poor man's Rogue Trader", with the PCs trying to survive from one day to the next, slowly increasing their gang's influence, fighting off rivals and staying clear of trouble with the Arbites. Perhaps such a game could have a planning phase where the players decide on how to use (and hopefully increase) the resources at hand (including the assignment of NPC mobs or expansion of one's base), and one action phase where the player characters set out to deal with something personally ... a bit of "realm management", really.

Just a crazy idea. :P

You could do this with the rogue trader and DH core books quite easily.

DH core book: Use the base classes and change the titles and maybe a few skills for them. Rename the classes to make them more Necromunda/Hive gangish. All of them could be of use with their skills in a Hive gang setting. Psykers are Wyrds, guardsmen are gang heavies/gang soldiers, scum are regular gangers, arbites are heavies, adepts/techs are highly skilled hivers (the implants would be illegal, but you will probably be selling drugs and murdering people for kicks, so does that really matter), assassins are scouts/bountyhunters, clerics are clerics and preachers. Whoever is the strongest/best shot/ highest Fel would be leader rather than having a class for it.

Rogue Trader: Use the PF concept from RT, and make them start with a rating of 1. Over time they can slowly build this up, but for the most part it should be low. Keep endevours, and make them more gang oriented. Start a slag mine, take over a town, set up a bar, make a drug lab/distribute work, take another gang's turf, raid the arbites for supplies, etc.

Maybe figure a way that a PF works out to a monthly or weekly income. Something like 10creds per PF per player or something along those lines. For individual item purchases use creds, while maybe for larger ones use PF to represent not just money but influence and other factors involved in picking up the 10 red dot sights, or 15 rusty blades etc.

Also, if your wanting to do a Necromunda rpg, see if you can find any of the old necromundaRPG material. While the system is no where near as good as the W40RPG system, is contains a good amount of fluff that goes more in depth than anything else out there, even if it is fan made.

Oh, I know I can improvise that with the stuff already released - I said so in the very first post. I'd still appreciate any additional material that would get tossed my way, though.

Let's be honest, we could also improvise and houserule Black Crusade if we'd really want to. We could have done so with Rogue Trader as well, and we certainly could have done so with Deathwatch (in fact, some fans wrote a pretty good Astartes supplement for DH a year or two ago). But of course "proper" books are always something else, if only because you had a dozen or more people working on it for a pretty long time, it'd be playtested and tweaked and have nifty artworks and feel more complete ... in short, it'd be ready for playing the moment you get it, saving you the hassle and most importantly a lot of time that you may not have found to invest in such a project otherwise.

i so want them to make a tau book

Dulahan said:

Meanwhile, Eldar have a wonderful Heirarchy that would actually fit the DH through Deathwatch way of doing things MUCH better than any human group does. They're space elves, so have a built in following. And I'm sure lots of artists would love a shot at a book of this sort. Frankly, it's the ONLY thing that makes sense for why they weren't made playable in any way in Into the Storm, as they'd be by far the most playable option for a Rogue Trader (Amongst other things, they'd be able to blend in a lot easier than either Kroot or Ork while amongst humans). So this is my bet for the next one.

+1

The Necromunda style game should be quite well doable once the Arbites & Scum splat comes out later this year (Isn't it on the slate after the Daemon Hunter one?)

Eldar would be great if it had been backed up with a slew of BL material about them. As it is, there's woefully little material to base characters on, which would lead to everyone basically 'roleplaying' humans with pointy ears.

I don't think an Orc game would be fun. There's only so much enjoyment that can be garnered by playing a bunch of psychotic, sadistic, rage-fuelled morons whose only goal is to kill things.

Siranui said:

I don't think an Orc game would be fun. There's only so much enjoyment that can be garnered by playing a bunch of psychotic, sadistic, rage-fuelled morons whose only goal is to kill things.

Tell that to the average D&D group.

Siranui said:

Which demonstrates a common misconception as to what Orks actually are, while simultaneously describing Khorne Berserkers.

Orks are seldom rage-fuelled (no more so than humans), nor is killing their only or even primary goal.

Orks are a species for whom violence is a natural facet of existence, a species of super-resilient adrenaline junkies whose very nature is designed to thrive in a hostile galaxy. Orks love to fight, yes, but killing is essentially nothing more than a side-effect of that - it's been demonstrated that Orks placed in a situation where violence lacks the accompanying fatalities is actually even more enjoyable for them than the slaughter normally common during warfare. They also love loud noises, driving really fast, and potent pseudo-alcoholic beverages. It would be inaccurate to suggest that Orks wage war out of anger or hatred - Orks in fact cherish and revel in their enemies' strengths and presence, because good enemies are enjoyable and beneficial.

Sooo...Orks are sterotypical southern rednecks?

vastrix said:

Sooo...Orks are sterotypical southern rednecks?

Yep, ya hit right on the nailhead there Bubba! ;)

No. They're more like British football hooligans.

But it's an understandable error for people of American extraction to pick associations they're more familiar with.

It's why some people think that the Space Marines are supposed to be some sort of reference to the Marine Corps, as opposed to the Royal Marines.

Blood Pact said:

No. They're more like British football hooligans.

But it's an understandable error for people of American extraction to pick associations they're more familiar with.

It's why some people think that the Space Marines are supposed to be some sort of reference to the Marine Corps, as opposed to the Royal Marines.

I though *** was beause they were marines in space?

You know, they travel in big ships and disembark to takethe fight to the enemy as infantry. Like, well, marines do.

Never associated them as US Marines (God forbid). But it would explain my natural desire to be Imperial Guard instead of Space Marines!

Peacekeeper_b said:

Never associated them as US Marines (God forbid). But it would explain my natural desire to be Imperial Guard instead of Space Marines!

A perfectly understandable reaction. lol

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Siranui said:

Which demonstrates a common misconception as to what Orks actually are, while simultaneously describing Khorne Berserkers.

Orks are seldom rage-fuelled (no more so than humans), nor is killing their only or even primary goal.

Orks are a species for whom violence is a natural facet of existence, a species of super-resilient adrenaline junkies whose very nature is designed to thrive in a hostile galaxy. Orks love to fight, yes, but killing is essentially nothing more than a side-effect of that - it's been demonstrated that Orks placed in a situation where violence lacks the accompanying fatalities is actually even more enjoyable for them than the slaughter normally common during warfare. They also love loud noises, driving really fast, and potent pseudo-alcoholic beverages. It would be inaccurate to suggest that Orks wage war out of anger or hatred - Orks in fact cherish and revel in their enemies' strengths and presence, because good enemies are enjoyable and beneficial.

Seems like someone else use to play Gorkamorka and read the fluff. Actually a gorkamorka game using w40krp rules (the stuff from ItS) could be alot of fun.

Drace said:

Seems like someone else use to play Gorkamorka and read the fluff. Actually a gorkamorka game using w40krp rules (the stuff from ItS) could be alot of fun.

Only played Gorkamorka twice ever. However, I did my research when it came to writing the Ork rules in Into the Storm (and the Ork sections in Edge of the Abyss and Battlefleet Koronus )

I personally think that the next book will be about humans, just like the previous ones. I could see one being made for either the IG, the Imperial Assassinations or the Adeptus Mechanicus. All of them should be able to provide with diversity enough to make an RPG roll one. I'm kind of skeptical if they'll do a book about some aliens, and if they do, I figure that the Tau or Eldar will be the most probable.