Do you use the additional Commander versions or Promo Commanders in skirmish?

By Locovividus, in Battles of Westeros

(Note - the below question has been posted in BGG, so if you frequent that forum and provided an answer there there is no need to double-post here.... unless for the benefits of others...)

When I received my copy of BOW, I noticed that there wasn't a skirmish card for every version of each commanders provided with the core game. Also, I don't know whether separate Promo Skirmish Cards were provided for the Promo Commanders handed out at the 'Days of Ice and Fire' event.

I'm wondering if and/or how the alternate versions of the Commander cards and Promo commanders can be used for skirmish games.

I'm guessing one could just substitute between commander versions for each specific skirmish commander card on a one for one basis. However, I have the feeling that doing such thing may significantly impact the Value Rating of the skirmish card or balance of the skirmish scenario. Also how would you handle ranks of variant versions of commanders. For example, if one wanted to use Greatjon Umber "Lord of Last Hearth" version in a skirmish, would you just use the Greatjon Umber "The Greatjon" skirmish card, but make the Commander unit a Blue rank Kennelmaster Unit to align with the "Lord of Last Hearth" Greatjon from the pre-set scenarios.

Anyone using these alterane commanders versions for skirmish games? Or are they (as they rules infer) solely for use whenever a pre-set scenario calls for them.

As I don't like being restricted to a specific commander version for skirmishes, I intend to implement some house rules to address this; but want to assess the general consensus and how people may be using these in their own skirmishes first.

Hey, I saw your thread over on BGG, too. I subscribed to it, but I don't feel like I can reply because I still haven't tried the skirmish rules yet. However, I think commander version substitution will work fine. Otherwise, yeah, seems like you'll never get a chance to field those promo commanders. Also, please report back if you find that a different version of a commander should have a higher or lower cost for skirmish play.

Thanks for the reply KenToad.

Like yourself, I haven't yet played skirmish games. My game buddy and I have decided to get through all pre-set scenarios first. I guess I was asking the question in advance for when I get there.

Like you've suggested, I intend to just give the skirmish players the option to use either version of the commander with their respective skirmish card. The only exception to this rule, is that if you choose Greatjon Umber "Lord of Last Hearth" then he is a Blue Kennel Master Unit (as per the errata).

Will let you know if I encounter any balance issues (ie overpowered commanders for their skirmish value), but it may be a while before we get there, as gaming time is restricted due the responsibilities of normal life getting in the way...

Has anyone had experience with commander substitution yet? There seems to be no other way to play with the promo commander cards at all.

Rubinon said:

Has anyone had experience with commander substitution yet? There seems to be no other way to play with the promo commander cards at all.

I've played with them in a skirmish game. Not a real big difference. I think when they gave them out, they said that you could use them durring the campaign as well.