Games, games...and more games

By Grimnirsson, in Living Card Games

Hi folks,

recently we had our annual HFC game meeting and since we also played the FFG LCGs I thought the article on impressions and thoughts about these games/sessions might fit in here. If not I apologize and ask a mod to move it to a more appropriate place...

Operation Red Nose

Happy Gaming!

Grim

Very interesting reviews, thank you. I agree that CoC is the simplest of the games to learn with AGoT being the most immersive and strategic.

I think that most questions that come up are answered in the rulebook and recent FAQ, though sometimes you have to really look at the question from a very stripped down level to understand what rule is applying. Wargame/Minitures are definitely easier to play because of the closed system, but I like the freedom this format has more. In the end I just have more fun with this kind of game.

FFG has been really good about answering questions submitted to them through the "Rules Question" link at the bottom of each page here. If it isn't a weekend you can probably get a response within about 24 hrs. I've gotten them in as fast as five minutes.

Cheers.

Thanks, glad you liked the article :)

You are right that 'wargames' are a more 'closed system' and the many synergies of the cards obviously open Pandora's Box when it comes to questions and problems, but wargame is not always the same as wargame...conflict simulations (consims) like Advanced Squad Leader often have really huge rule books (the ASL RB alone is a large binder with hundreds of pages and costs 80 Dollar and that's just the rules, you don't have any maps, scenarios or counters then which are all needed to play the game) and usually try to answer all possible questions that may come up. I think the general attitude in LCGs/CCGs is a bit more 'free/open' than in consims and that's where these card games are more akin to Miniature wargames than to consims.

Thanks for the tip on the 'Rules Questions' link! I never saw it and frankly...it's hard to see and should not be that hidden if FFG wants to be of help to the players - that should be a BIG button on the front page :)

Grim