Expansions

By Rozy, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Hi, I have played the game couple of times with the first expansion and it seemd I little different then the original game. The good thin was that with one more House (Martell) there was always possible option for 1vs1 for all Houses not letting one House expand to rapidly. But the other machanics disturbed me more tha made me happy. How is the game with the second expansion? Is it worth to buy or does it ruin the original game idea?

I haven't used anything from the first expansion other than ports and the sixth house; and I think that they were both very good additions.

Regarding the second expansion: it is the best. A Game of Thrones was an excellent game, but it had a few flaws. A Storm of Swords fixed all the problems and made the game as close to perfect as it could concievably be.

That is my take on the second expansion.

Did You use all the stuff from the box?

Last time we used (additionally to ports, 6th house adn house cards) also siege engines and fortifications. It was cool...but not the best. There's a real problem with time - playing by the rules (6 settlements to win) it takes only 2 hours at best but with some modifications (7 settlements) it took 8 hours. And this is not the game to play that long. I could play some 18xx series game for two days but I like to keep my Game of Thrones relatively short (about 4-6 hours). I'm not sure how would "6.5 settlement to win" rule work...

As for the Storm of Swords I didn't think much of it before I played it. But since I liked the base game so much I just had to get it. It turned out to be the best game ever. The map works perfectly well and the tactic cards and leaders make things so fun. Ally cards make is all so real-like...

I haven't had a chance to try it all together but I'm not sure if that would be so great idea... But else we'll never know... :)

I quite literally just bought the Game, and was toying around with the idea of buying the expansions, but decided to wait a little before I bought the expansions. But they are worth buying into? And should I buy them in sequence or does it matter?

Storm of Swords is a must have!

Clash of kings does have some interesting mechanics in it, but if you're on the fence about dropping that kind of money, then just don't.

Wow. I picked up Storm of Swords to have the whole collection, but never actually used it. Now I think I'm going to have to crack out the rulebook, as our group enjoys the boardgame alot (even if we've been mostly playing Battlestar galactica to the exclusion of everything else in the last two months).

Hmmm, I saw A Storm of Swords for sale a few days ago. I am now tempted to purchase it.

Ove said:

Last time we used (additionally to ports, 6th house adn house cards) also siege engines and fortifications. It was cool...but not the best. There's a real problem with time - playing by the rules (6 settlements to win) it takes only 2 hours at best but with some modifications (7 settlements) it took 8 hours. And this is not the game to play that long. I could play some 18xx series game for two days but I like to keep my Game of Thrones relatively short (about 4-6 hours). I'm not sure how would "6.5 settlement to win" rule work...

8 hours!?! Even with guys that spend as long as possible trying to cut deals, we've never had a game go longer than 3-4. Did you remember to end the game at 10 turns?!

As for the original question, ASoS is a much better expansion. ACoK gives you a couple of options, but the most improtant thing is the 6th player. Ports seem to unbalance it a bit, siege engines can make it a bit too bloody (fortifications can balance that out, but then can cause it to drag too much), and the house cards are a bit overly complicated. On the other hand, ASoS gives you some great options to play 4 players with the new map (and love the Ally decks and tactics), and a number of the best things carry over to the main game, such as leaders (and therefore the ability to activate on a Raid or CP order as well) and some balanced but restrained house cards--more interesting than the boring 0011223 of the base game, but not so overpowering as the ones with ACoK.