Tank Fight at Prokhorovka Typo?

By DPalmer43, in Tide of Iron

In the Tank Fight at Prokhorovka scenario in Fury of the Bear, the Germans are supposed to start with the Operations Card "Elite Tankers". There is no such card as "Elite Tankers". Do they mean "Elite Tank Crew"?

Bill's already aluded to the fact that there appear to be typos in the Prelude to Breakout scenario. Although what typos exactly, it hasn't been said. I'm assuming Elite Tankers is supposed to be Elite Tank Crew. Do FFG pay anyone to proofread before they go to print?

And as an aside, has anyone played any of the scenarios in FotB (besides me)? I've seen a lot of talk, but not too many people playing.

Scammer said:

"Elite Tankers". Do they mean "Elite Tank Crew"?

And as an aside, has anyone played any of the scenarios in FotB (besides me)? I've seen a lot of talk, but not too many people playing.

I played scenario 5 with Elite Tank Crew,

I have just started scenario 6. Looks good set up, but I do not know how the Germans are going to delay the Russians long enough to prevent them from reaching the objective in time. We'll see.

Scammer said:

In the Tank Fight at Prokhorovka scenario in Fury of the Bear, the Germans are supposed to start with the Operations Card "Elite Tankers". There is no such card as "Elite Tankers". Do they mean "Elite Tank Crew"?

Bill's already aluded to the fact that there appear to be typos in the Prelude to Breakout scenario. Although what typos exactly, it hasn't been said. I'm assuming Elite Tankers is supposed to be Elite Tank Crew. Do FFG pay anyone to proofread before they go to print?

Also in the Tank Fight at Prokhorovka scenario, it says "Ground Attack Air Support Deck 1" Is it supposed to be "Combined Air Support Deck I" or "Ground Support Deck 1"

Scammer said:

Yep its amazing how many issues there are with what FFG puts out for ToI. I do remeber Bill saying there were printed errors with some of the scenarios he was involved in though these errors have not been corrected or even made aware to the community yet (this was some time ago)

I have played half the scenarios in the FotB (they were so.so with minor errors) the others i havent even bothered with as they still need larger corrections (I only have 1 other person I play ToI with so I dont want to spend a game night testing if something should be right or not, that is why I spent money on the game so that I could sit down and enjoy a well play tested scenario)

I have pretty much stopped playing ToI (for now, might get back into it to make my own scenarios, but like i said play testing can be bit of a problem) at the moment I have invested in another game series, where the designer puts so much more support into it and contuines to do so, and it has been out longer than ToI. I have been really enjoying the series and there are still more expansions and games on the horizon for it, so ToI has been gathering dust for now. i may even start to think about selling some of it off.

But as I have said before FotB was my last FFG purchase and will be may last (unless there is a major shift in how the company treats its customers)

I have played all the snow board scenarios in FOTB and the first green board, IE Tank Fight at Prokhorovka.

All snow boards are completely one sided without exception and this green board is an easy win for the Germans every time. The problem with scenarios that have victory points for destroying enemy vehicles is that as soon as one side gets a point in front then all they have to do is hide or retreat to a secure well defended position and wait for the game end.

FOTB is by far the worst expansion so far. I know of two players on here that would be only to happy to provide some scenarios for the next expansion. They would do a better job with their eyes closed than the FOTB scenarios. Come on FFG wake up and smell the coffee.

For example 'the germans starts with 8 infanteri bases, 8 halftracks, 2 tigers, 2 panters and a panzer' The russians starts of with two AT-guns, and 8 infanteri bases. Defensive position: not extermly good. Ok, the russians do get 3 tanks as reinforcements, but who cares. It takes me 5 min and no testplay to see that this is broken.

Personaly I then only have hope for the tow last scenarios. The very last is actually said to be balanced. Thats a plus. I also know that Bill made one extra scenario (see boardgamesgeek battle refference) which is great. But that one is typically not published…

However, when playing proper and good scenarios this game is still good. So I'm waiting for good fan based scenarios for FoB.

Grand Stone said:

For example 'the germans starts with 8 infanteri bases, 8 halftracks, 2 tigers, 2 panters and a panzer' The russians starts of with two AT-guns, and 8 infanteri bases. Defensive position: not extermly good. Ok, the russians do get 3 tanks as reinforcements, but who cares. It takes me 5 min and no testplay to see that this is broken.

Personaly I then only have hope for the tow last scenarios. The very last is actually said to be balanced. Thats a plus. I also know that Bill made one extra scenario (see boardgamesgeek battle refference) which is great. But that one is typically not published…

However, when playing proper and good scenarios this game is still good. So I'm waiting for good fan based scenarios for FoB.

I forget the name of this scenario, but IMO its the one needing the most attention, We played as it is written and its pretty much impossible for the germans too lose, in fact we have never seen the game last to where the russian reinforcements make it to the board. There are many issues with theis scenario (i think even the setup of the command tokens is wrong) Why wont FFG fix their errors, not too much to ask since we all payed money for the game.

Yes, that one is obvius broken. And Yes, I bet there is something wrong in the details. How can anyone play this scenario and find it balanced?

For me personaly, I dont even play scenarios which I dont know apriori is good. There do excist good fun scenarios, and lately I found that a few fan based scenarios are of excelent quality. For furry of the bear my hope shrinks down to 1, or maybe 2, but the second does not include any tanks. The only one I have hopes for is the biggest which takes a LONG time to play, and thus difficult to find the opportunity actually play.

Aussie-Digger, what other game is it you play in the absence of TOI?

I have come across the lock n load system, I have lock n load: band of heroes & lock n load heroes of the blitzkrieg plus all the expansions for them. Its a squad level game, it uses counters not minis but it dosnt bother me as the games are alot more compact, easy to set up and all the parts look amazing.

I have found it deals with alot of rules that I wished had some sort of a part in ToI. It feels alot more detailed (and you have alot more tactical opions open to you because of this) though I found I picked up the concepts and uderstood the rules quicker than I did for ToI.

Every scenario I have played so far has come down to the last turn (Havent found any scenarios that are truly unblanced)

The support for the game is also amazing with the community very quick to respond to any questions on the geek and also the creator being active. There always seems to be a project in the works for the system aswell.