Medicae Mechadendrite & Medikit bonuses...

By Eschin, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I searched the forums, and couldn't find an answer to this question, so apologies if I missed it and it's already been answered somewhere on these boards...

My question is simple; Do the bonuses from Medicae Mechadendrite and Medikits stack? All I can find in the book is "The Role Of Circumstance" which allow for a +/- of 30 on a modifier... which is exactly what the two gear pieces come to.

I would think they stack, but the GM and I are in disagreement... From a flavor standpoint, seems perfectly normal for your mechadendrite to be administering first aide, while your hands are working with the medikit, applying bandages and ointments to the patient... Makes perfect sense to me.

If they don't stack, then it seems like the medicae mechadendrite is sorta "meh" compared to just buying the medikit... especially for the cost/xp the mechadendrite takes to get up and running on your character. Granted, the mechadendrite does other things... but it's other abilities are pretty lack luster.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

You can stack bonuses as much as you want, as long as you don't go over the magic limit. Medicae armmedkit together is a go!

Is there a specific rule in the book that refers to actual equipment bonus stacking, or is the role of circumstance the best we've got?

"The Role of Circumstance" doesn't list min or max values.

The "Combining Dificulties" sidebar does however and the Eratta 3.0 lists that the Combining Difficulties Sidebar should allow a maximum/ Minimum of +60/-60 In Combat. I assume meaning all other checks to have a -30/+30 min/max.

Based on the Description of the two items I'd say they stack. Because the Mechadendrite says "..flexible limb is designed to provide medical and surgical assistance in the field..." I think of it as the Assistance section of playing the game (but not just because the word assistance is in the description). It's reducing the difficulty of of your test by one degree. It's not a medikit, it's another hand with the right tools that frees your hands to do other things. Where as a medikit is just a bunch of tools.

My explination is just a way of wrapping my mind around what it does. It isn't litterally the assistance rule. I'm also not saying that it wasn't how the rules where intended. Noone knows what the hell they where thinking when they wrote this....Arg... the typos...

Now, more Specifically on Equipment bonuses stacking. Unless the description lists it as copying the effects of another peice of equipment I say it stacks up to +30.

Should my filteration plugs not stack with my respirator? my filtration plugs are in my nose, my resperator is over my nose and mouth. Do they stack? trick question, up to 30? yes. but the resperator is +30 and the filtration plugs is +20, so are they redundent? yes. But is it a bad idea? no. if my resperator is ripped off or something I still have my filtration plugs. And should peanlities be applies, the filteration plugs might help negate them. I think this is logical.

I only advocate the stacking of things that are fundamentaly different but both can be used to accomplish a task.

hypothecial: I have an Item called "Banana Kit" Banana Kit functions exactally the same as Medikit. Can I use my Banana Kit and Medikit in the same check? I'd say no.

SEAL YOUR WOUNDS, SERVANT OF THE EMPEROR. TASTE THE SUCCOR OF THE BANANA KIT AND BE RENEWED.

Generally speaking, bonuses stack up to +/- 60, regardless of where they come from. There's no system like in D&D, where there are Luck, Circumstance, Enhancement, etc. bonuses of which you may have only one per type.

Your GM will always be the final arbitrator, however, so if he says that a Medikit and a Medical Mechadendrite are redundant then you're out of luck. I personally think they should stack, since they really cover two completely different scopes in the assistance of Medicae: surgery vs. bandages, injections vs. salves, flesh staples vs. tourniquets.

At Last Forgot said:

SEAL YOUR WOUNDS, SERVANT OF THE EMPEROR. TASTE THE SUCCOR OF THE BANANA KIT AND BE RENEWED.

Generally speaking, bonuses stack up to +/- 60, regardless of where they come from. There's no system like in D&D, where there are Luck, Circumstance, Enhancement, etc. bonuses of which you may have only one per type.

Your GM will always be the final arbitrator, however, so if he says that a Medikit and a Medical Mechadendrite are redundant then you're out of luck. I personally think they should stack, since they really cover two completely different scopes in the assistance of Medicae: surgery vs. bandages, injections vs. salves, flesh staples vs. tourniquets.

Oh well... wish there was a hard and fast rule...

Not sure I'm going to be able to convince the GM. I've already argued all these points... Going to feel severely ripped off if he doesn't change his mind, as medicae mechadendrite just doesn't have the "oompf" medikits do as far as the medicae bonus goes.

I can see it now... my awe inspiring decked out tech priest, running up to an injured comrade... freshly cleaned mechadendrite glistening in the sun; needles, scalpals, and injectors twitching in anxiety ready to administer first aide assistance on the battle field... And I whip out a frigg'n scoobey doo bandaid from my medikit =/

So the GM is a jerk it sounds like, there is nothing in the game that says that bonuses don't stack. hell, does he also not let you stack that medkit with the Medicae +20 skill? or with Talented (Medicae)? or with Master Chirurgeon? He's just not being reasonable. On the other hand, you can get stuff insanely high with the right skills talents and assistance.