Happy Days are Here Again vs The Terrible Experiment

By MrBone, in Reference Materials

So, I bought the AH game recently and am reading the cards and now trying to figure out the rules and such. Got the basics down, but now I'm stuck at the finer details.

There are two Mythos cards, that I'm trying to figure out how they work together. There's the first one, 'Happy Days are Here Again, which is of type Environment (Urban). That means it can only get replaced by another Environment card. It states that terror level can not increase when this card is in play.

The next card is The Terrible Experiment, Rumor, which means, as long as it's in play, no other rumors come to full effect. It says: '(blablabla)... Fail: Raise terror level to 10 and put on board a bunch of monsters'

So, I'm curious as to how these two cards actually work together. They obviously can be in play at the same time, as their types are different. Also, if you fail the 'Experiment' card, you will obviously have to stick in 8 monsters. But what happens with the terror level? Does it go up to 10, or does it stay the same? Is there a general rule for incidents like this (or is this a lonely example)?

Can Happy Days be used to 'safely' fail the Experiment event, or does the experiment sort of cancel the happy days card?

The "official" answer I read a while back - long enough ago that I can't remember where - was that:

- Happy Days stops the immediate terror increase, and the monsters will probably therefore get safely cycled through the outskirts

- As soon as the environment changes, the terror level immediately increases to 10.

This doesn't seem a particularly logical answer, in many respects - and the precedent it sets would react oddly with some of the expansion content which can block terror level increases - so I think "Happy days stops the terror increase. You got lucky." is a better answer. We'll have to wait for the new FAQ - which won't be soon - for a definitive answer.

Epic. Thanks for the answer. I think in the rare chance this actually comes up in a game, I think I'll go with the 'block threat level increase' bit, but force the extra 8 monsters to stay on board, even if they go over the limit.