This or Horus Heresy?

By Tyrichter, in Chaos in the Old World

Hello, I have a question for players that own Chaos in the Old World and even Horus Heresy game. Which game of these two would you recommend and why? I cannot compare game mechanics, because I never played either one, and my only basic information is the themes and number of players, and that´s all.

Never played Horus Heresy (well, the new one anyway), so I can't compare what's in the two boxes. In totally practical terms, one game only supports two players and costs $100, and the other only supports four and costs $50. I recommend whichever one is likely to get you the most play for the monetary investment. happy.gif

It depends also on your game interests!

What do you like to play?

Look at my games list, the answer is: almost everything :)

I prefer W40k, steampunkLovecraft themed games, but what I really appreciate is good game mechanics. I think my range is pretty big, but the thing is, I usually play with at least other 2 players, so Chaos in the Old World gets points for more than two player support (unlike Horus Heresy). But I´d like to know more details about the games.

So yes the initial assessment stated above is correct, but it's also a big one - that is CitOW plays up to 4 while HH only plays 2. But here is a bit more of a general overview of the style of each game:

HORUS HERESY

• a 2 player miniatures war game depicting Horus' final attack on Terra (Warhammer 40k)
  • One player plays Horus, and the other the Emperor
  • game actions revolve around cards: using them, changing them, drawing them
  • combat uses a card system as well, and I find it works pretty well as it causes you to make some serious choices
  • there is an Event deck depending on the scenario that keeps things interesting/ever changing
  • there are a few scenarios to be played (scenario booklet)
  • rely mostly on your wits and strategy (not that much luck)

Chaos in the Old World

• a 2-4 player game depicting the 4 chaos gods fighting over Old World (Warhammer Fantasy)
  • Most folks agree that it works best with 4
  • Asymmetrical balance...everyone has all the options for victory, but each god works differently and have an easier time achieving victory in specific ways
  • Random events happen using the Old World deck and keeps things interesting
  • You get to ruin territories - Take that Kislev!!!
  • Plays somewhat like a Euro game (so say some folks)

Well thats all I could think of for now - both games are great (I own and play both...not as much as I wish though). The # of players is probably the biggest factor in which to purchase.

sorry - i mean CitOW is 3-4 players.

Thanks for the answers. In my point of view, BOTH games look great, so, now I´m not deciding which one to buy, but which one to buy first :)

But I have one more question, and that is about attacking - how does it work? As you described HH, it reminds me of Battlelore (you have some units, but to attack with them, you have to use order cards which are sometimes against you :) ), or is it more like Mansions of Madness (you CHOOSE your units that are going to attack, and where, then you draw a random card that describes which ability you use on the enemy and tells you to test it)? How does the attacking mechanic work in CitOW?

I own both and enjoy both. Would have to say though that I look forward to an evening of Chaos in the Old World with a group of friends more. We generally have more fun when that is played - more laughs, more good times. Multiple paths to victory and all sorts of shennanigans going on on the board - it's a lot of fun.

Heresey is great for the theme and some of the mechanics, but I think there are deeper and more interesting 2 player wargames out there, so it doesn't score quite as highly for me. Chaos in the Old World is more unique in my mind. It will also soon be expanded so that you can have five players! Hope it doesn't ruin the truly excellent balance in the current game, but I'm looking forward to it and will buy it regardless.

Enjoy!

In HH, both sides have two movement and two attack orders as default (ones that when used, instead of going to the discard pile, go to a recycle pile), you pretty much always have access to them, so if you want to attack, it is very, very unlikely that you are unable to from a lack of orders. Only realistic situation would be if you've placed both your default attack cards on the strat map waiting execution, but then, you know where the blame goes lengua.gif .

In CitOW, you summon your warriors or greater daemon and each gives you a certain number of dice. Add up your dice and roll, 4+ hits, all 6s explode, meaning you roll again, 4+ hits again, 6s explode as long as you roll them, tally up hits. Sadly for me, the other active thread of late asks the question for which the answer is: they shouldn't. Only Khorne has any gains toward a victory to be had in combat and even he doesn't get any VP from it (though the previews of the expansion seem to change that), no God gets VPs and only Khorne gets dial tokens from killing. Since Ruination hands out not only most VPs but dial tokens for the other three Gods, there is very little reason to summon anything but Cultists and use your Chaos Cards. Add to that the early part of running away from Khorne and the lack of combat for a Warhammer game featuring four Chaos Gods who hate each other with a vengeance is just shocking. It's not a wargame, but given the theme, it's hard to see that combat has no use unless you're Khorne. To summon warriors or your greater daemon is just lowering your chances of winning in order to get some action going. I hate that I'd have to play suboptimally to get conflict going, using Power Points that would otherwise contribute toward winning.

I have other issues with the game as well, luckily I'm trading it away for a game I'll actually enjoy playing. Gave CitOW 10 plays, but nope, it was just too hippiesque. CitOW for me is too much worker-placement Euro, not enough Ameritrash.

I have both, but have noticed they serve their own purposes.

CitOW is fantastic for a group of players. I've managed to organize regular "boardgame" days with some friends, and CitOW is a favorite.

Horus Heresy though... it's more of a "we have a lot of free time, let's get a game going", with one friend. It takes long to set up, and ultimately the long preperation and game length makes it an awkward inclusion into larger social gatherings - UNLESS you're only intending to spend your time there playing with your one specific friend. It's good for a convention, where you go bring it to spend the day playing with a friend, while being in that social atmosphere. It's not so good when bringing it to a gathering of close friends.

Of course, Chaos in the Old World NEEDS multiple players, so its the other end of the stick. The closer the friends, the juicier the backstabbing :P

HH sets up in max 10 minutes, about 5 min if you have another person shuffling decks. That's Scenario 1, with fixed unit setup. Playtime is generally 45-60 minutes to reach the Spaceport Victory Possible space, at which point the game can end, either at that moment or after any given turn. Not rare to see the game end right there and then. Scenario 4 I've seen end before the first Refresh Phase, due to the special tokens making executing cards cheaper caught Horus napping on the Vengeful Spirit. If the Initiative Track runs to the Imperial Holdout Victory space at the very end, game takes about 2 hours.