Print on Demand

By TheStranger, in Runebound

Does anyone else think that FFG's new Print on Demand expansion approach is good news for Runebound? People always complain that the big box expansion don't have enough cards since the challenge card expansions are not compatible with them. Well, with Print on Demand FFG could put out expansions for the big-box expansions with very little risk to them.

It would work well for Adventure decks, seeing as those are replaced rather than adding cards to existing decks. Market cards, possibly not.

Can anyone point to where POD production was mentioned?

Actually, seeing as RB cards don't have a linen finish, these would probably do okay apart from colour issues.

@JC - News here - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2055

Follow the link in the article to the product page.

JCHendee said:

Can anyone point to where POD production was mentioned?

It was first announced a couple weeks ago for a pair of Death Angel card expansions. Assuming those prove viable, I look forward to a lot more ideas following this business model.

And to answer the OP, I think it would be a great way to add card to big box expansions, although I gather the POD cards for Death Angel don't entirley match up with the original cards (ie: you can tell the difference) but if you're willing to sleeve them there'd be no problem.

Thanks folks. It's certainly an interesting shift. Personally I prefer a non-textured finish; they are easier for me to read, especially on smaller cards.

I've seen the Death Angel cards in person, and they are the same quality and possibly even higher than the Runebound cards.

They are very high-quality, clear, and bright. They are much better quality than Artscow print on demand that many of us use for our own projects.