Black Ears Clan preview!

By DragonWhimsy, in Battles of Westeros

Wow... I'm starting to feel spoiled. Updated FAQ's, 2 new scenarios, all the rule books online, and so many previews! Good job FFG! Hope to see this continue.

They're really making sure the units have a unique feel. I love the collecting ears mechanic background wise though gamewise it seems you have to both conserve them until they get their "ears" and put them at risk to get the ears in the first place. Be intersting to see how that works out in practice. I'm thinking it' s a unit best used by experienced players.

There are some other unknown tokens showed in the original preview with the content image so I imagine those are for the other Clan's special mechanics.

The clansmen keyword is indeed back so that's interesting for use with Tyrion. Mountain Bred is introduced. Seems it is mountain terrain we spotted earlier and the Clansmen will have advantages there. I still wonder what's on the other side of the mountain terrain tokens.

A short but sweet preview. And a promise for another Tribes of the Vale preview at the end of the article. Awesome.

I don't know. I think the ear collecting mechanic sounds contrived, especially in the middle of a pitched battle. It's very video game ... "I just have to eliminate one more unit to power up my EAR COLLECTOR ULTIMATE ABILITY!!!"

I'll wait until the rulebook gets posted, but so far this ear collector mechanic sounds wonky and unfun. Too bad, I was looking forward to the change away from the Noble Houses of Westeros. And I'm interested in having Tyrion lead actual clansmen, rather than Casterly Rock Cavaliers with the keyword clansmen.

It's really cool that you're so enthusiastic about everything Battles of Westeros, though. gran_risa.gif

It seems to represent them growing more bloodthirsty as the heat of battle takes them pretty well if nothing else. It doesn't seem any more video gamey to me than any other wargame convention.

From the Lannister point of view you don't deploy the Clansmen you... unleash them.

The key bit however is what is on the other side of Chella's card.

It's really cool that you're so enthusiastic about everything Battles of Westeros, though.

It pushes a lot of my gamer buttons. If I don't like something I assure you you'll hear of it. Honestly the only real thing I dislike so far is I'd prefer the miniatures to be in hard plastic just because there's so many pikes and lances. As I don't know how much hard plastic would have driven up the price though I can deal with it.

I just think it's a wonderful game. I may be a bit fanboyish over it, but I didn't come here as a fanboy. It had to earn that. lengua.gif