1st Ed - 2nd Ed

By Rashley, in Runebound

I have had the 1st edition for a long time and enjoy playing the game but resisted any expansions because they fit 2nd edition. This left me toying with dumping my old 1st edition and getting a new 2nd edition. The new Essential Chronicles looks a great, relatively cheap way to expand, which has again made me think about the upgrade. It just seems a waste! What I would like to know is, what are the main changes in 2nd edition? I know the map was altered to make the start town in the middle, as I always thought the first player had an advantage of going up the road from town to town. If there are other significant changes, then it looks like I will have to bite the bullet and dump my old set. I can't see anyone buying that version! Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers!

I'm not familiar enough with 1e to properly answer your question, but I have gathered that the changes are significant enough that trying to play 2e expansions with a 1e base set would be difficult.

As far as getting rid of the old edition, you could always try marketing it as spare parts in the DIY forum over at BGG. Won't get a lot of money that way, but might get a little.

There is a "list" of changes in this thread and this one over at BGG from yonks ago with some discussion.

talismanisland said:

There is a "list" of changes in this thread and this one over at BGG from yonks ago with some discussion.

I noticed mention of a special offer to "trade in" your copy of 1e for a discounted price on 2e. I'm sure that offer is long since expired, but it might not hurt to ask FFG anyway.

Thanks for those comments, especially those old threads. It certainly looks like there are a lot of changes and, unless I can find a mug (sorry nice person) to dump (sorry pass) it on to, it looks like the charity shop for my old set. Cheers!

If you are in the UK and other factors are favourable then I might actually be interested...

To talismanisland:- Yes I am in the UK, just north of London. I am getting rid of a lot of my games at ridiculously low prices. If you are interested in the 1st edition Runebound contact me, Richard Ashley on :- [email protected] . Thanks again for all the help with this problem. Cheers!

Email sent. Thanks!