Official Answers from Kevin Wilson

By ColtsFan76, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Gamemaster said:

Cool story bro ;)

A dumb gamemaster... quite uncommon. :) (Kevin Wilson, make us more games pleaaaase !!! ) (just to be not out of topic)

Gamemaster said:

Hmm..not sure why my answer wasn't posted.

Anyway, to investigate a location for rift purposes, you must have an encounter.

Does Cthulu's "Stirs in Slumber" ability remain in effect when he awakens?

rowanalpha said:

Does Cthulu's "Stirs in Slumber" ability remain in effect when he awakens?

Yes. All AO "stirs in slumber" abilities remain when the AO awakens. Additionally, during a "final combat" with Cthulhu caused by the right dual-colored OW card, the investigator's reduced sanity and stamina maximums are permanent (if s/he survives).

you sure? i always thought those abbilities were only on as long as he was "asleep"

Snak said:

you sure? i always thought those abbilities were only on as long as he was "asleep"

Tibs is right. It has been answered several times.

Does Harvey Walters Special also reduce the loss of sanity for reading books? Such like "True Magick"? By that, Harvey would generate a clue token every round for the effective loss of one movement point.

Necrorubi said:

Does Harvey Walters Special also reduce the loss of sanity for reading books? Such like "True Magick"? By that, Harvey would generate a clue token every round for the effective loss of one movement point.

Any Sanity loss, Tomes, Elder Signs, "The Man in Black" Mythos, Horror check failures. Of cours, Harvey reading Tomes means he ain't moving much.

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought that I would render him overpowered, since for Daisy Walker it is stated explicitly that she never loses sanity when reading books. Thanks anyway ...

Their (Daisy vs Harvey) difference is that Daisy can read the Necronomicon (and others with Sanity loss of 2) with no loss, while Harvey still loses 1 Sanity (normally lose 2). Daisy is also faster, can cast Spells more cheaply, etc. Harvey's an alright investigator, Daisy's one of the select OPs. Harvey and Dexter need to pass their PS to get her spell cost reduction demonio.gif .

Also, Daisy has a bonus stat point, for some crazy reason. But, at least she's no Patrice!

I rather like how Patrice has put "overpowered" investigators like Daisy into perspective. No matter what Daisy does these days, I still look at her and think exactly that. At least she's no Patrice, indeed.

Gate Burst Monster Surges

We've got a discussion going in another thread, and I'd like to see about getting input from the man himself. Gate burst rules state:

"Certain mythos cards have their gate location colored red. This red coloring indicates a gate burst. A gate burst works the same as a normal mythos card in all cases except when the listed gate location has an elder sign token on it. When that happens, the gate bursts open, causing the elder sign token to be removed from the board. A gate then opens at that location and a monster appears there as usual, but no doom token is added to the Ancient One’s doom track, nor does this event cause a monster surge.

Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol." (emphasis added for disputed text)

As written, it seems to say that if a gate opens after bursting an elder sign, it does not cause a monster surge. This seems redundant, as there would not have been a monster surge to begin with since there was no gate already open in the location.

My understanding was that if the location of the gate burst already has a gate, there is no monster surge, but there is disagreement based on the phrasing above.

So, is the intention that when a gate burst shows a location containing an already open gate there is or is not a monster surge?

I've responded in your other thread that it does cause a surge, as per the updated FAQ.

Tibs said:

I've responded in your other thread that it does not cause a surge, as per the updated FAQ.

You mean it does, Tibs.

Gate Burst on Location with no Gate: Gate, Monster, Doom Token

Gate Burst on Location with Open Gate: Monster Surge

Gate Burst on Location with Elder Sign: Gate, Monster, remove Elder Sign, no Doom Token.

jgt7771 said:

Tibs said:

I've responded in your other thread that it does not cause a surge, as per the updated FAQ.

You mean it does, Tibs.

Whew yes! Thanks for the catch. Good thing the edit button was still available for my post.

Essentially gate bursts are exactly like regular mythos cards in all aspects except two:

• A seal does not block the gate from opening, rather it is removed and a gate opens there (no doom token)
  • All flying monsters move, regardless of whether the card burst a gate or not.

Chaugnar Faugn reads "Chaugnar Faugn cannot have more than three doom tokens removed from his doom track during a single round of combat - he ignores all further successes." Suppose 3 investigators removed 3 doom tokens and there's still 3 successes left. Do they add up to the next round, or do they reset completely?

kroen said:

he ignores all further successes.

Obv.

Does Finn:

1. Gains 10$ when he gets his Bank Loan.

2. Needs to discard money for his bank loan (the wording on bank loan is "spend" and on finn's abilty it's "discards" so I'm not sure)

kroen said:

Does Finn:

1. Gains 10$ when he gets his Bank Loan.

2. Needs to discard money for his bank loan (the wording on bank loan is "spend" and on finn's abilty it's "discards" so I'm not sure)

1.No.

2.No (but if he doesn't pay his money he has to default on his loan).

And this really isn't a questions thread. You should have just posted that in the main forum.

What? all this thread is nothing but questions.

1. Are you sure? Because the card "Bank Loan" specificly says you gain $10 when you get the card.

Look at the first sentence of this thread.

And yes I'm sure.

Fine. But "I'm sure" isn't very good reasoning. I willl start a new thread.

I haven't found this in the rule book.

When a play moves to a location that has a gate and a monster, which takes precedence, the gate or the monster? Also same question but with a gate and clue token?