Official Answers from Kevin Wilson

By ColtsFan76, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Wolfen Fenrison said:

I haven't found this in the rule book.

When a play moves to a location that has a gate and a monster, which takes precedence, the gate or the monster? Also same question but with a gate and clue token?

The second part is easy to answer. If a gate is on a location, all clue tokens there are destroyed and no clue tokens can be placed there.

As for the first part, I think the ruling is currently, deal with the monster first, then get sucking into the gate (if you're moved there by an encounter— if you go there during the movement phase, it's *definitely* deal with the monster first, since you go into gates during the encounter phase).

First time post, and it's rules pedantry >.<

From page 1 of the thread:

ColtsFan76 said:

Monsters and movement as a result of an encounter (01/02/07)
When moved to another location by an encounter, you don't have to fight/evade monsters in either location. At least, not immediately. Combat as a result of such movement only occurs during the movement phase. During the encounter phase, you only have to worry about monsters popping up to attack you as a result of an encounter.

This rule overides the following FAQ v1.2 entry:

If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?

First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the Gate or No Gate instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

Note (06/03/08 ):
In the Kingsport expansion , this FAQ entry has been reworded and seems to confirm the previous FAQ v1.2 entry. At the moment it is not known which ruling is the correct one and we are awaiting an official answer from the game designers.

Note (06/24/08 ):
I have received an answer from Kevin, and i copy here his answer verbatim:

So his previous ruling, which limits combat with monsters on the board only during the movement phase was the good one. Too bad the Kingsport FAQ reintroduced the error, but at least we have an official ruling.

KevinW wrote:
Hmm, looking at the files, now that I have a chance. It appears that the ruling was changed after FAQ 1.2 and the FAQ stuff that went into Kingsport was simply not updated in that instance. Stick with the combat only occurs during the movement phase ruling. My apologies for the confusion.

-Kevin Wilson

Fantasy Flight Games

Anyhow, hello everyone

*wave*

Thanks, LoneWolfW!

In a game against Ghatanothoa, does Rex Murphy(the cursed reporter) have to flip visage tokens each time he gains 1 Clue token?(since his special ability gives him an extra clue token)

Something I still find unclear. Regarding environments that don't specifically denote Arkham- do these affect other worlds as well? Like, for instance, one that says: ..."no spells may be cast", or another that states: "Cultists and Byakhees have their toughness increased by 1".

Another question: can the spell Astral Travel be cast on the same Arkham Encounters Phase during which you've closed a gate, or does the closing of the gate count as an encounter? (since in the latter case, the spell cannot be cast)

zealot12: This thread is not for questions. You are supposed to ask those questions in other threads. This thread is only for compiled answers to those questions by Kevin Wilson.

-Villain

Q. A blue Other World encounter from the base game that occurs in the "Other" location reads as follows: "You've completed your task, but now you must escape before the portal closes! Pass a Speed (-2) check to return to Arkham. If you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through." The card doesn't specify, but you can still take the gate as a trophy, correct? Also, in situations like this, can you still spend the 5 clue tokens or an Elder Sign to seal the gate?

A. Yes, you still get it as a trophy, and yes, you can still seal it if you have the means.

There is no roll for Martial Law when you are standing on a gate in the Esoteric Order or the Marsh Refinery.

Kevin Wilson
(KevinW)

Re: Martial Law and Returning from Other Worlds
You do not make Martial Law checks on locations with open gates.

Hi all,

the effect of card corruption is also applied to those who find themselves in Other Worlds and who is Lost in Space and Time ?

If yes, and you are Lost in space and Time, and in the Mythos phase trigger the event of "Nightmarish Visions" (Lose 2 Sanity, and gain 2 Clue tokens),

and you go insane, what happens?

Guys, this thread is not for asking questions . It is only for posting answers.

Please ask questions in the main forum.

Being arrested in Innsmouth vs Being arrested in Arkham (Tim Uren official answer):

The dynamics are slightly different. When an investigator is arrested in Arkham:

• He loses half of his money and is delayed.
  • He places his investigator token (on its side, since he's delayed) in the Jail Cell.
  • If this occurred during the Movement Phase, he skips the Arkham Encounter Phase of this turn.
On his next turn
  • He does not get an Upkeep Phase.
  • The only thing he can do during his Movement Phase is stand his investigator token up and move it to the Police Station.
  • He does not get an Arkham Encounter Phase.
After that, he continues play normally.
When an investigator is arrested in Innsmouth
  • He loses half of his money and is delayed.
  • He places his investigator token (on its side, since he's delayed) in the Innsmouth Jail.
  • If he was arrested during the Movement Phase, he must resolve the Jail Break ability on Innsmouth Jail during the Arkham Encounter Phase of this turn.
On his next turn
  • He does get an Upkeep Phase.
  • The only thing he can do during his Movement Phase is stand his investigator token up.
  • During his Arkham Encounters Phase, he must again resolve the Jail Break ability on Innsmouth Jail during the Arkham Encounter Phase of this turn.
When Martial Law is in effect in Innsmouth, an investigator in Innsmouth Jail must make the Evade –1 check at the end of his Movement Phase to avoid being arrested for Martial Law, even if he is delayed. Each time an investigator is arrested in the Innsmouth Jail, he loses half of his money and is delayed.
If he has not been arrested again, he continues play normally afterwards.
Tim Uren
Associate Creative Content Developer
Edited by Julia

This forum collects official answers. To ask for specific answers you should start a new topic.

This forum collects official answers. To ask for specific answers you should start a new topic.

Is this referred to me? Sorry, I don't get your point here

Clarification on how to resolve Zhar's special ability:

Zhar's ability does interrupt the steps of resolving a mythos card. Finish resolving the card once the ability stops adding more mythos cards.

To address some of the specifics, when investigators must open a gate, the doom track advances and then the gate opens. At that point, before a monster appears, roll the two dice for Zhar's ability. If doubles are rolled, start resolving another mythos card. If investigators must open a gate while resolving this card, the doom track advances, the gate opens, and then roll 2 dice for Zhar's ability again. Once you resolve a mythos card without Zhar's ability causing you to resolve another card, finish resolving each of the mythos cards that were drawn. Start with the one most recently drawn and proceed in the order opposite to that in which they were drawn.
When resolving a mythos card that opens two gates, do not advance the doom track, but open the gates one at a time in the order in which they appear on the card. So, it is possible for Zhar's ability to create a string of mythos cards from the first gate and then, after all of the cards in that string have been completely resolved, to create a second string of mythos cards opening the second gate.
The mythos ability of each card is resolved after the gate opens. So, for determining which environment card takes precedence:
The mythos ability of each environment mythos card replaces previous environment cards. (The earliest environment drawn in a string of mythos cards will take precedence over others because it will be the last environment resolved. Hopefully that bit of bookkeeping makes sense.)
For determining which rumor card takes precedence when resolving a string of mythos cards:
Ignore the mythos ability of rumor cards if a rumor is already in play. (So if no rumor was in play before resolving this string of cards, the last rumor card drawn will be the only one put into play since it will be resolved before any other rumors.)
Hopefully that provides a not-too confusing model of how to handle Zhar's ability.
Tim Uren
Associate Creative Content Developer
Edited by Julia

No no... someone posted a question here and that was my response to it. I wonder where it went?

No no... someone posted a question here and that was my response to it. I wonder where it went?

Uh? Mystery... thanks for clarifyin', I was worried I had done something wrong ;)

Sorry, wrong post

Edited by Thamior