Saboteur Question

By none_but_korrok, in Cosmic Encounter

Saboteur's Alien Sheet says "any time ships land on a planet with one of your tokens next to it..."

Does this only refer to instances where the ships land there as a result of an offensive win?

Or does it refer to any instance (ships returning to colonies from the warp or an encounter, etc.) where ships are added?

My friends and I played a game where the latter was in effect and the results were catastrophic, with two players losing their powers fairly early in the game. Ironically, Sadist was also in the game (we were playing with hidden powers, so nobody knew). Luckily, one player was using Glutton and just kept retrieving ships from the warp, preventing Sadist from winning for quite some time.

You played it right; stuff blows up when ships land on a planet for any reason.

Toomai said:

You played it right; stuff blows up when ships land on a planet for any reason.

I think that's open for debate - there is no definition of landing in CE. We've been playing that a ship lands only when it establishes a colony - that's the most intuitive to our group.

I also agree that the power level is ridiculous any other way, and it becomes way to easy for some jjerk to target a specific player. I'll need to see it in official documentation before I play that reinforcing a colony triggers Saboteur.

We sure could use a FAQ update.

ANY time a ship is placed on a planet, it lands there, and triggers a trap.

The Warp said:

ANY time a ship is placed on a planet, it lands there,triggers a trap.

Yeah, Bill's straightened me out on this one at BGG.

The rael question, if they meant 'placed' why did they write 'lands'? We sure could use that FAQ update :(

I would think that any ship that gets put on the planet would trigger the trap how else would he get to the planet magic? he would have to go by the trap if you think about it.