2D6 Combat, Part 1: the Quick[est] & the Dead

By JCHendee, in DungeonQuest

I've finished up a first step in streamlining DQ combat for my group... in the hope of one day getting the back to the table for a game.

This package contains graphics for creating three different forms of 2D6 Combat variants: 2D6 Optimized Grid, 2D6 List Results, and 2D6 Token Dice. They are all evolutionary developments derived from the most commonly played combat variant among players of DQ1. The third is the fastest traditional combat for DQ, any version, bar none. Includes the manual / assembly instructions for component creation as well as a copy of the development article, "the Quick[est] & the Dead," currently on my blog. The package has also been uploaded to the BGG Dungeonquest 3E page and should appear in its file section within a week (if you prefer to wait... really?)

Illo.png

Another interesting analysis JC!

Would you believe I was thinking about making combat dice for DQ over the weekend!?

What I had come up with was pretty simple though. A set of d3 (or d6) Rock, Paper, Scissors dice with two for each combatant. Winner of the heat would score 1 damage, but if the second die matched the winning roll, then 2 damage would be the result.

I think I just like the d3s I saw! gran_risa.gif

D3.jpg

Hee hee... like minds!

I didn't even know the D3 were made these days... though their origin goes back to ancient Mesopotamia. They were one to two hand lengths and tossed like stick-lots. I'll have to look for some of those D3s state-side just for the fun of it.

By your description, your probabilities sound spot on compared to the combat grid. 3x3 for two dice is 9, with 3 matches possible, leads to 33.3% chance of a second wound if a first clean wound (no counter wound) is achieved. But are the dice rolled against the grid ... or rolled for who rolls highest?

The article was partially spurred by two players who wouldn't believe their odds of whacking a monster were the same with dice as with tiles/cards... aside from a first step to get the game back into play.

I was just thinking about how simple chucking a few dice would be, against the new system(s).

I had forgotten about the damage to both sides option, but that would be easy enough if the main die result was the same on both Hero and Monster rolls.

So, my thought - 4d3, preferably RPS dice. Let's say 1 blue and 1 white for Heroes and 1 red and 1 black for dirty, evil Monsters...

The blue and red dice are the combat dice. The white and black dice are for "Mighty Blow" or whatever.

Whoever wins the RPS gives one point of damage.

If the other die matches the winning roll then they give two points of damage.

If it is a draw the both take damage (I guess you could add in if the second die matches that then the damage is increased)

If all four dice match then a wormhole is formed and Dragonfire Castle is sucked into the Abyss... (not a real rule)

That's really as far as I got. I did ponder (briefly) whether d3 or d6 RPS might be better, but I thought the d3s were just cute... gran_risa.gif

It was just an idea to go along with the thousand or other ideas floating around my head at any one time. Like many of them, I am not sure I will follow it through!

Okay, just curious... and I think I kinda got lost on the four colors.

They would only need to be four colours if they were thrown together. Basically, the second die would be your "mighty blow" trigger.

Ah, I get it now, so the same as the token dice but 3 sided. [smacks forehead]