MN Players

By mason240, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Sat nights never seem to work out for me to get to the EC. Does anyone want to meet for a game or two during the week?

Can't make the EC. I have to work my own store on Saturdays, up in Cambridge. Say hi to the people who know me.

I'd be up for some mid-week games - I always seem to have the same problem. (In fact, I won't be able to get there for the next 2 weekends...)

This week is bad overall but maybe sometime next week? For a while, there was a Thursday night thing going on but that stopped for some reason. Maybe we should revive it!

Email me at my username @gmail.com. I'm open to meet almost anytime except for sat nights it seems.

I'm thinking of getting this game and am wondering what kind of player base there is in the Twin Cities. I live in Western WI and was just at Fantasy Flight Games on Saturday and saw this game. Ever since I've been kind of obsessed with it.
Is there a local group?
Are there local tournaments?
Where do people normally get together to play?
Is there player support? Meaning, if you host a tournament, is there prize support from Fantasy Flight or is the tournament director on their own?

Thanks!!

@Waso,

There's a decent sized group that plays regularly on Saturday nights at the FFG EC.

I try to make it there whenever I can, but, being that we're talking about Saturday night here, that's not as often as I'd like. Sometimes some of the locals humor me and show up early on Saturdays so I can at least play for 2-3 hours before I need to leave (thanks guys <smile>).

This weekend, I'll be able to stay for the Saturday (8/20) evening fun, so I'll be trying to recruit as many players as possible. If you're able to, do join us.

As for tournaments, FFG hosts the yearly Regionals and Days of Ice and Fire (coming up in November I think?). I've been to several FFG run events, both in the Twin Cities and at GenCon, and their organizers do a bang up job.

As for prize support, I'm not sure. There's a rumor that FFG obtains their AGoT and W:I tournament prizes out of boxes of Kracker Jacks, but as far as I know that's unsubstantiated.

(Ok, so I took a cheap shot, but I'm not exactly going out on a limb by implying that FFGs prize support for major tournaments is "lackluster". )

@Mason,

Hey Mason, does this mean you can't make it this Saturday? If so, time for Papa Khann to put on the <sad face>.

We should definitely hook up some games at alternate times. I don't know if Sunday afternoons are good for you or not, but that's a time that is often better than Saturday evening is for me. Friday nights are also a possiblity, though there's some rumblings that a W:I group may start up on at least some Friday evenings.

Papa