Difference to LCGs ?

By Bolluxx, in Rune Age

Obviously I don't get it: where is the difference between Rune Age and let's say Invasion ?

Apart from the fact that one of them is listed under LCG and the other one here in the Silver Line....

With an LCG, you'd start with four different decks and just try to beat each other with what you have.

With a deckbuilder, you'd start with four different tiny decks and slowly create your deck while trying to beat each other.

So on the surface they sound the same, eh? But they don't play the same. With the LCG, you're trying to get cards out on the table and playing sneaky things out of your hand. With the deckbuilder, there's probably nothing permanent and you're focused more on building your deck so that you can accomplish a lot every turn.

And with the LCG, it's pretty much the same thing every time. If you're playing House Stark in the AGOT LCG, it's going to mostly aim for the same strategy every time. You can't do that in a deckbuilder because you usually have different cards available every game. Also, everyone else has the same cards to work with so you need to come up with a better plan for those cards and have it happen faster.

Much like the previous post. This is a Deck Building game so rather then showing up with a deck built to play...your trying to build a deck from cards available DURING the game rather then previously to playing.

Bolluxx said:

Obviously I don't get it: where is the difference between Rune Age and let's say Invasion ?

Apart from the fact that one of them is listed under LCG and the other one here in the Silver Line....

LCGs are, to my understanding, basically the same as CCGs, except that the random distribution model is removed. The base game comes out with all the cards from the base set in one box, future expansions each contain all the cards for that expansion in one box. It's the kind of thing I would have loved about ten years ago. I might still love it today, but I have yet to see an LCG game that really grabs my interest (though rest assured, I am watching.)

Rune Age has been compared more directly to Dominion, if you've ever played that. It's a very different experience from something like Magic or Invasion. Imagine playing a game of Magic: the Gathering where you're not only casting spells and summoning monsters from your own deck, but also paying resources to draw new cards from other, communally available decks that get added into your hand of options as the game progresses.

From what I've read, Rune Age differs from Dominion and the like primarily in the fact that Rune Age offers a variety of victory conditions, one of which is picked when the game begins. So in addition to standard goals like racing to meet a given number of victory points or trying to obliterate your opponents, you might also find yourself cooperating with the other players to try and defeat a powerful Dragonlord, and you all win or lose together. I am intrigued, to say the least, although whether or not I actually buy into the game will depend on what I see and hear later, after it's been released. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out before buying.

Thanks for the information.

Based on your explanations I get it that no expansion in the way like the ones for Invasion will be released. If such thing somes it'll add more cards to the common pool - so available for everyone who plays. Right ?

Bolluxx said:

Thanks for the information.

Based on your explanations I get it that no expansion in the way like the ones for Invasion will be released. If such thing somes it'll add more cards to the common pool - so available for everyone who plays. Right ?

We're talking about FFG here, so I think you can count on expansions. :) They wouldn't likely be like Warhammer expansions where you get some cards to customize your deck. As you say, they're more likely to mostly provide more options in the common pool. That said, they could very well offer new factions as well. And the victory conditions are scenario driven as well so they could offer more of those as well. I think the closest model to that are the Runebound Adventure decks.

Bolluxx said:

The way I understand it, an expansion could add new cards to the community decks. There could also be expansions that add new faction-specific cards to existing player decks. And, of course, there's also the possibility of entirely new community decks and/or new factions appearing with whole decks of their own to work with.

I don't know exactly how the varying victory conditions are determined for each game, but I also wouldn't be surprised if an expansion introduced one or two new victory condition "templates" to play with as well.

On the other hand, we are speaking about product of Corey Konieczka, maybe the most busy game-designer of the world. So I believe that expansions will be not so cruely common as in Dominion, for example...

Everybody knows, as I'll start with it, I must have everything:-))