Descent Lieutenants in Runebound?

By talismanisland, in Runebound

After a thought about using Runewars assets in Runebound, I am now thinking about a use for the pewter Lieutenant miniatures that are available for Descent (or not as the case may be!)

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using these as "anti Hero" characters with an agenda that means working against the heroes.

Thoughts? Steve-O, Judd, JC? gran_risa.gif

I might be mistaken, but are not many of them already in Runebound?

I swear the art for Dar Hilzernod is already in there. The Farrow's are in there as well. Maybe the names are different, but the artwork is already used I believe.

Ah okay. I have yet to open all of the boxes I have for Runebound. It was just an idea, though them being included does not actually preclude the use of them as Lieutenants or something similar. Not to worry, on with more projects! gui%C3%B1o.gif

talismanisland said:

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using these as "anti Hero" characters with an agenda that means working against the heroes.

Thoughts? Steve-O, Judd, JC? gran_risa.gif

The card art for most (if not all) of the LTs has already shown up representing different things in RB. The brothers Farrow also exist with different art than was used in Descent as challenge cards in the base RB game.

That said, the idea of using the LTs as roaming challenges with unique cards, either with their tokens or the metal minis to mark their position on the map, is a pretty sweet idea for a variant game. I'd be interested to see anything you came up with, regardless of where or how the images have appeared before.

I caught this topic a little late, as I've been swamped. I haven't played a wandering monster option in any game, but I second Steve on this one. New cards that fit into a game's standard mechanics (unlike a lot of my stuff sonrojado.gif ) are always going to popular among those who use fan made additions. And if they lean on other games from the Terrinoth world, so be it.

My initial thought was as a wandering monster type of thing, but then I did wonder about having them as playable and having the player actively working against the Heroes...

That's about as far as I have got to be honest. I will ponder some more...

talismanisland said:

My initial thought was as a wandering monster type of thing, but then I did wonder about having them as playable and having the player actively working against the Heroes...

That's about as far as I have got to be honest. I will ponder some more...

I'd be more interested in them as persistent (and powerful) monsters that needed to be avoided or defeated by players, rather than an opposing player controlling them. One of the things I like about Runebound is the fact that it's not competitive, so I would be loathe to use a variant that made it so. That's just my personal opinion, though, please don't let my moaning hinder your own creative energies. =)

You'd also need to come up with a new victory condition for the "evil player(s)" who control these LTs. I mean, if they have the same victory condition (to defeat Margath the red challenge) then you may as well stat the LTs up as heroes in RB. Heroes aren't exactly working together as it is. Maybe stat them as heroes who have special abilities that proc off PvP combat to encourage direct conflict with the "regular heroes." Assuming you don't want the LTs to just be "dark heroes" then you'll probably also need to expand on the meaningfulness of hero deaths.

That's a good point about anti-heroes, they might indeed as well be regular heroes, so we should probably skip that.

I think then that it would be better to go with the roaming monster angle. Anyone want to start us off? gran_risa.gif

Don't have first hand experience with roamers, so can't really add anything... but I'm listening and learning.