So what will we be playing???

By Santiago, in Black Crusade

Ancient Defender said:

I, for one, am dying to play a Cognitae trained mastermind in the vein of Zygmunt Molotch.

I think there was an attempt to create a secret training school somewhat similar to the Cognitae in the Radical's Handbook, but the name of it currently escapes me. I think it was a background package.

A true Cognitae character would be cool, though. And the Cognitae are known in the Scarus Sector, which is fairly close to the apparent setting for Black Crusade on the border between the Calixis Sector and the Koronus Expanse.

Lightbringer said:

I think there was an attempt to create a secret training school somewhat similar to the Cognitae in the Radical's Handbook, but the name of it currently escapes me. I think it was a background package.

Didn't know about that, did it work? I imagine that unnatural intelligence plays a part?

I'm really hoping for a game with Ranks 1-16 and various starting points. The GM decides where the game starts and the players make up a character with the appropriate xp and Rank. If the game's set to 5,000 xp/Rank 5 then CSMs are not yet available, but perhaps you can play a warrior that hopes to be selected (so long as you keep taking the needed advancements to qualify for CSM when you hit Rank 9). OTOH, the Cultist that could have been started at Rank 1 can comfortably make himself a newly appointed cult leader at 5,000xp/Rank 5. I want to see a game that allows for good growth all the way through.

I wonder if they are going to try appeal to more "oldschool" dark heresy players, who played the game more like call of cthulhu. You make character, he generally dies by getting his soul sucked out by some mind-flaying horror before his 3rd rank.

No.12 said:

Hi,

Maybe we'll see character creation on a three tiered structure in line with the other 40k titles? Something like CSM on pr with Deathwatch, Chaos Reavers to Rogue Trader and Fallen Servants to Dark Heresy. I can see the appeal on all levels, though some kind of sandbox freestyle bad guy reavers in a dark dark ship haunting the fringes of the Imperium ticks more boxes for me.

Any thoughts on the setting location for Black Crusade? Possibly the far side of the Koronus expanse (IIRC Hazeroth Abyss?).

Agreed with previous posts this reminds me somewhat of old Realm o Chaos. Hopefully with similar art...

I'd like to see them start to fill in the areas of space between Calixis and Terra just because I want them to eventually get to a book that tells about the imperium's heartlands.

HappyDaze said:

I'm really hoping for a game with Ranks 1-16 and various starting points. The GM decides where the game starts and the players make up a character with the appropriate xp and Rank. If the game's set to 5,000 xp/Rank 5 then CSMs are not yet available, but perhaps you can play a warrior that hopes to be selected (so long as you keep taking the needed advancements to qualify for CSM when you hit Rank 9). OTOH, the Cultist that could have been started at Rank 1 can comfortably make himself a newly appointed cult leader at 5,000xp/Rank 5. I want to see a game that allows for good growth all the way through.

Sounds good to me!

Cheddah said:

I'd like to see them start to fill in the areas of space between Calixis and Terra just because I want them to eventually get to a book that tells about the imperium's heartlands.

I wouldn't count on it. The Calixis sector and Jericho Reach exist as FFG's personal playground. I doubt GW would let them go beyond that without a major change in their policy.

I would like to just play normal folks who got on the wrong side of the imperial law for (relatively) minor things and now try to make a living and survive the goons the inquisition throws at them.

• An Adept who lerned a bit Sorcery
  • A Tech-Priest who found or invented something that's considered "dark mechanicus" like a servoskull with true AI
  • An Arbitrator who "failed in his duty" because something he could not have anticipated happened
  • A Guardsman who fought the ruinous powers and doen't see it as just treatment to be executed afterwards for the slight chance to have been corrupted.
  • Someone who has his/her sister taken away by some petty planetary governor to be his sex-slave and kills the man to free the beloved sister
  • Above mentioned sister
  • Mutants
  • A sister of Battle with the denounced and condemned backround who is now consideres a witch.

In fact I'm thinking about GMing a DH game that way.
If the Chars will be all on their own or if someone backs them like it's in DH is not yet decided.

As a further idea: The one backing the team is one of the holy inquisition with his own agenda who uses his inside knowledge to help his team and has them do missions for him.
For example he could send them to where the shattered hope adventure (free downloadable) takes place to have them play the part of the real acolytes and salvage things that could be of use before the real team destroys everything.

ok, so what about probable character classes?

there would probably be similar numbers to the other 40k rpgs.

1. Mutant
  2. Cultist
  3. Psyker/ Sorcerer
  4. Possessed
  5. CSM
  6. Dark Ad. Mech

Any other thoughts?

With this game Im going to quote Captain James T. Kirk "The possibility's are endless."

Personally i want rules on playing fallen inquisitors and CSMs of the legions you actually kinda feel bad about (Word bearers and Thousand Sons, for example).

The Cultist-career needs an illustration of a scantly-clad tanned girl with splintered teeth and lots of tattoos... :P

A fa/tg/uy, eh? gui%C3%B1o.gif

it's not impossible, Ascension featured Love Can Bloom after all.

Agmar_Strick said:

it's not impossible, Ascension featured Love Can Bloom after all.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I'm very glad that non-CSM characters will be possible in BC. Much as I like the idea of Astartes, I find "normal" humans to make more interesting characters. (Merely a personal opinion, of course.)

Oh, and regarding the Bolter discussion, take a look at the Gyrojet gun en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet - Bolters shouldn't have very high recoil compared to their caliber.

I don't know why it took me this long to realize it, but, since the setting of this game is one of the warp storms at the edge of the Koronus Expanse, that means that PCs from there won't be Imperial citizens who have fallen/been seduced by Chaos. In fact, they may have no knowledge of the Imperium at all...

As unlikely as they'd be to team up with Chaos, I know I'd love rules for playing Dark Eldar.

It might help me stave off the need to build an army if they did... :P

Agmar_Strick said:

ok, so what about probable character classes?

there would probably be similar numbers to the other 40k rpgs.

1. Mutant
  2. Cultist
  3. Psyker/ Sorcerer
  4. Possessed
  5. CSM
  6. Dark Ad. Mech

Any other thoughts?

I thought BC would be without classes, but with each talent being devided amongst the chaos gods so that you will end up being alligned with one of them through your talent / skill choices.

One of the previews said they had starting packages based on various archetypes. They could be considered to be classes, in a way.

Though unlike classes they don't determine the path of progress that your character has to take.

TormDK said:

I thought BC would be without classes, but with each talent being devided amongst the chaos gods so that you will end up being alligned with one of them through your talent / skill choices.

I think that's blowing it a tad bit out of proportion. It sounds like the Alignment thing is only if you're devoting too much to one god instead of anything else, not a hard and fast rule. And even then there's rules for slight penalties or your alignment changing instead of rigid paths like the current 3 games.

If my group plays this, I would love to play a Thousand Sons Sorcerer. corazon.gif

Wolffrnd said:

If my group plays this, I would love to play a Thousand Sons Sorcerer. corazon.gif

This.

Cool looking power armour - check. Large and scary weapon - check. Diabolic evil powers - check.

A winner is me.

Undivided all the way, just to see if can be last man standing and reletivly low on corruption and insanity.