Beginners attempt at competitive Dwarf Deck

By coobe, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Hello ! Id like to attend a small tournament and come up with the following dwarf deck. Since im very new to the game i assume im missing so many good stuff :)

javascript:void(0);/*1298375969266*/

Looks like a pretty strong start. Mining Tunnels is one of the best support cards in W:I, you'll probably want to include it, ancient tomb is pretty strong as well.

When building a competitive Dwarf deck, you probably want to start with this:

3 Innovation

3 Warpstone Excavation

3 Contested Village

3 Mining Tunnels

3 Ancestral Tomb

3 Dwarven Cannon Crew

which is 18 cards total and sets up your resource base. After that, you have a bit more room for variants but I don't really see cutting any of those 18. Slayers of Karak Kadrin, Longbeards, Serpent Slayers, Dwarven Ranger, Demolition, Grudge Thrower, Book of Grudges, Master Rune of Spite and Stand Your Ground are all very strong and worth looking at. Lizardmen can also be ok if you want a more anti-creature kind of a deck.

No RtF, Clam partido_risa.gif ?

Clamatius didn't want to sound like a power gamer gran_risa.gif

I didn't mention it because I wanted the guy to still have opponents who wanted to play against him. That card is just straight up dumb. Obviously you run 3x Reclaiming if you want to win and it isn't banned in your play format.

I was discussing it with a friend a while ago and we think that the actual problem with Dwarves is that Master Rune of Spite provides too much anti-creature defense for them. Without that, Skaven are actually very scary again and I'm not sure what the metagame would look like.

If you're running an Order deck (at least), you can run with 3x of DMA to counter RoS though, fairly successfully. That's what I did for GenCon 2010 and it was remarkably successful.

You're out of luck against Rune of Spite if you're running a Destruction deck though, especially so since FFG has yet to provide Destruction with any form of Tactic canceler still. :(