Questions

By Hwij, in Battles of Westeros

Hi. i'm getting to the subject directly.

1) If i don't apply the optional rule coordinated attacks, then what happens if i attack with two or more units the same time to a target? The target takes a flank attack? If yes then why i use the rule of coordinated attack, that actually i'm loosing dice.

2) If i pursue the same unit, the engagement token stays or leaves? If i pursue another unit then must i place a engagement token or no?

3) If i pursue and the target retreat, then can i pursue again without attack?

3) What is the meaning of different engegement tokens? there could be one engegement for all houses.

Thanks.

Hwij said:

1) If i don't apply the optional rule coordinated attacks, then what happens if i attack with two or more units the same time to a target? The target takes a flank attack? If yes then why i use the rule of coordinated attack, that actually i'm loosing dice.

2) If i pursue the same unit, the engagement token stays or leaves? If i pursue another unit then must i place a engagement token or no?

3) What is the meaning of different engegement tokens? there could be one engegement for all houses.

Thanks.

1) Yes they take a flank attack. You do lose dice but it's more valuable to have a single bigger attack rather than two smaller attacks. Especially against commanders. You need a lot of dice or very good luck to take down a commander.

4)It's important I think if the unit is in a building. And there may be other rules that make use of it in further expansions.

I don't have access to my rulebook tonight so I can't answer the other two questions at the moment.

DragonWhimsy said:

Hwij said:

Thanks.

1) Yes they take a flank attack. You do lose dice but it's more valuable to have a single bigger attack rather than two smaller attacks. Especially against commanders. You need a lot of dice or very good luck to take down a commander.

4)It's important I think if the unit is in a building. And there may be other rules that make use of it in further expansions.

I don't have access to my rulebook tonight so I can't answer the other two questions at the moment.

You do not resolve individual attacks simultaneously, so if you want to break through Toughness or Capture a commander, Coordinated Attacks give you much better chances to "take down" or move a powerful unit off an objective hex. To me, the main value of coordinated attacks is increasing your odds of moving stalwart units off objectives, as you need at least two flags.

Your questions for number 2 and 3 are somewhat confusing, but you can only pursue once and only once. An engagement token is placed only after an attack in which neither side was forced to retreat or eliminated. So, if you have the option of pursuit, then there would be no engagement token placed.

To clarify the answer to number 3, if you have a unit in a building hex, they have Cover 1 (identical to Toughness 1), as long as there is no engagement token showing their side. What this means is that a unit in a building is considered out of the building (in the yard) if it has attacked and is engaged with an adjacent enemy unit. As long as the engagement token shows the enemy's side, the unit on the building hex is considered in the building and has Cover 1. This is actually explained in the rulebook in the back section that details terrain effects for buildings.

Thanks for your answers "DragonWhimsy' and 'KenToad'. Are very usefull for the game.

Hi.. One more question.

A kennelmaster uses dogs of war keyword to attack from a forest as red rank unit. It will attack with 4 or 2 (reduce from forest) dice?

Logically in this case should not apply the forest's restriction, cause the attack accomplished from the animals and not from the soldiers.

Hwij said:

Hi.. One more question.

A kennelmaster uses dogs of war keyword to attack from a forest as red rank unit. It will attack with 4 or 2 (reduce from forest) dice?

Logically in this case should not apply the forest's restriction, cause the attack accomplished from the animals and not from the soldiers.

I have to imagine that the dog's would be listed as an exception to the normal forest rule, if that were the case. That being said, I think you could house rule that the dogs can attack from a forest hex with no restriction and it wouldn't break the game.

I don't believe the dogs of war keyword is effected by banner color so they wouldn't get that many dice anyway.

I believe that a Kennelmaster unit fighting a normal melee engagement from a forest would be restricted to 2 dice (plus any other effects like tactics) and not their normal banner colour. However, when you use the Dogs of War ability, they will only be affected by the targets terrain. They have been 'released' from their hex and, remember they roll a die to see at what 'colour' they attack. A green unit could attack with 'Dogs of War' as a red unit, or, vica versa. I am also glad that they changed Greatjons' banner colour to blue in scenario 2. Although slightly less powerful, they can now get into the battle quicker.

Cheers!

Rashley said:

I believe that a Kennelmaster unit fighting a normal melee engagement from a forest would be restricted to 2 dice (plus any other effects like tactics) and not their normal banner colour. However, when you use the Dogs of War ability, they will only be affected by the targets terrain. They have been 'released' from their hex and, remember they roll a die to see at what 'colour' they attack. A green unit could attack with 'Dogs of War' as a red unit, or, vica versa. I am also glad that they changed Greatjons' banner colour to blue in scenario 2. Although slightly less powerful, they can now get into the battle quicker.

Cheers!

I don't think this is the case, as it is just a ranged attack and no other ranged attack is treated this way. Archers "releasing" their arrows from a forest hex are still subject to the forest hex's base dice limitation, no matter the color of their banner.

Maybe someone should email support to get the Official answer. FFG won't answer these questions unless you email them directly.