New Custom Content Challenge. Heraldify Your Guardians.

By Avi_dreader, in Fan Creations

MustardTheTroops said:

avec said:

My mod for Hypnos: While Hypnos is in play, there is a -10 penalty to all skill checks.

My mods for Bast and Nodens: similar

Played with this last night. Hypnos. Lemme just say: it's very difficult. The only strategy I could come up with, once I realized I couldn't pass the gate closing checks without spending lots of clues (with McGlen) was to go to the Newspaper and look for jobs, then head over to the Curiosity Shop to shop for elder signs and sit and shop, or have encounters to let money build once it ran out. I lucked out and got an elder sign right as the doom track was half filled, but the streets were full of low powered yet-unbeatable monsters. I ran out, got through an otherworld (no critical checks required) got back and sealed my first gate. Then I ran into an Elder Thing. 6 Fight + 6 Tommy Gun = 12 -10 = 2 for combat check, and failed my first few, and he ended up eating my tommy gun. He couldn't hurt me, but I couldn't hurt him. Also, I couldn't evade. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just ended my turn. Luckily, a mythos card killed the elder thing for me. (Question: What do you do in that situation?)

Shortly thereafter, on my way back to newspaper (I lost my retainer) the doom track filled. Final combat was a brief affair.

My constructive criticism: The bonus to Hypnos seems rather more than offset by the penalty. Consider adding another benefit, or perhaps decreasing the penalty mod. I'll try again at -9, but I don't think it'll be a significant change.

Thanks for the feedback. I recommend that you play it 10 or 20 more times for the subtle complexity of the herald to sink in.

MustardTheTroops said:

avec said:

My mod for Hypnos: While Hypnos is in play, there is a -10 penalty to all skill checks.

My mods for Bast and Nodens: similar

Played with this last night. Hypnos. Lemme just say: it's very difficult. The only strategy I could come up with, once I realized I couldn't pass the gate closing checks without spending lots of clues (with McGlen) was to go to the Newspaper and look for jobs, then head over to the Curiosity Shop to shop for elder signs and sit and shop, or have encounters to let money build once it ran out. I lucked out and got an elder sign right as the doom track was half filled, but the streets were full of low powered yet-unbeatable monsters. I ran out, got through an otherworld (no critical checks required) got back and sealed my first gate. Then I ran into an Elder Thing. 6 Fight + 6 Tommy Gun = 12 -10 = 2 for combat check, and failed my first few, and he ended up eating my tommy gun. He couldn't hurt me, but I couldn't hurt him. Also, I couldn't evade. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just ended my turn. Luckily, a mythos card killed the elder thing for me. (Question: What do you do in that situation?)

Shortly thereafter, on my way back to newspaper (I lost my retainer) the doom track filled. Final combat was a brief affair.

My constructive criticism: The bonus to Hypnos seems rather more than offset by the penalty. Consider adding another benefit, or perhaps decreasing the penalty mod. I'll try again at -9, but I don't think it'll be a significant change.

Seriously?

Try an extra -2 modifier on all skill checks instead. That should probably do it. Make it -3 if it's too easy. I'm pretty sure it won't be though. I assumed avec was joking when he said a -10 modifier originally ;')

Ha ha ha, sorry. I think I'm funny sometimes.

The idea of someone actually suffering through that made me giggle, so I wrote up a fake report.

I do kinda like the idea of making Hypnos harder, though.

How about each time your investigator is knocked unconscious or driven insane, after you choose either injury/madness or item/clue loss, you must immediately have an encounter in the dreamlands and are delayed? Thematically, it would be something like being trapped in dreams like the protagonists of the Hypnos short story.

Of course, so many dreamlands encounters are good that it might not be that much of a penalty. And who gets knocked out that often?

Maybe on upkeep, the first player must draw and resolve a dreamlands encounter, and if he fails a skill check during that encounter he is delayed?

MustardTheTroops said:

Ha ha ha, sorry. I think I'm funny sometimes.

The idea of someone actually suffering through that made me giggle, so I wrote up a fake report.

I do kinda like the idea of making Hypnos harder, though.

How about each time your investigator is knocked unconscious or driven insane, after you choose either injury/madness or item/clue loss, you must immediately have an encounter in the dreamlands and are delayed? Thematically, it would be something like being trapped in dreams like the protagonists of the Hypnos short story.

Of course, so many dreamlands encounters are good that it might not be that much of a penalty. And who gets knocked out that often?

Maybe on upkeep, the first player must draw and resolve a dreamlands encounter, and if he fails a skill check during that encounter he is delayed?

Hmmm... First player doing a dreamlands encounter during upkeep, all skill checks are at a -1, and this thought just came to me... How about when an investigator would lose sanity, the investigator instead draws an insanity card (remember, spells are a cost, not a loss) and is Lost in Time and Space if in an Other World, or is sent to the asylum and must take an encounter immediately if in Arkham, investigators with insanity cards can't be retired, and if the an insanity card must be drawn, but none are left to draw, the investigators lose the game. This would of course have the theme of dreams becoming nightmares :'D Now I need to have some pleasant nightmares of my own. G'night.

What if, instead of the first player having a dreamlands encounter during upkeep, anyone picking up a clue token in a stable location during movement immediately has a dreamlands encounter (ie the cost of picking up hypnos clues is a dreamlands encounter), It makes things a sight more interesting than just picking up clues and is quite thematic since it is a recurring occurance in Lovecrafts stories for protagonists to gain insight in frightening dreams.

Veet said:

What if, instead of the first player having a dreamlands encounter during upkeep, anyone picking up a clue token in a stable location during movement immediately has a dreamlands encounter (ie the cost of picking up hypnos clues is a dreamlands encounter), It makes things a sight more interesting than just picking up clues and is quite thematic since it is a recurring occurance in Lovecrafts stories for protagonists to gain insight in frightening dreams.

Yeah, that's much better. But the question then becomes, should the encounter specifically be The Dreamlands, or also Other?

My inclination would be for "and other" due to word count.

Well, Avi, when I looked at the subject of this thread, I thought you were thinking of heraldifying the custom guardians that we may have made, so that's what I did. Here is Azrael, an Archangel Herald that is meant to be the counterpoint to Anahera, an Archangel Guardian. I'll repost Anahera in the custom guardians thread because I think her link got lost, in case anyone wants to see what she's about.

secard83332697926033450.jpg

He's pretty rough, so any polish for him would be appreciated. I haven't done this in quite a while, and it can be hard to get back into the swing of things!

Admiral142 said:

Well, Avi, when I looked at the subject of this thread, I thought you were thinking of heraldifying the custom guardians that we may have made, so that's what I did. Here is Azrael, an Archangel Herald that is meant to be the counterpoint to Anahera, an Archangel Guardian. I'll repost Anahera in the custom guardians thread because I think her link got lost, in case anyone wants to see what she's about.

secard83332697926033450.jpg

He's pretty rough, so any polish for him would be appreciated. I haven't done this in quite a while, and it can be hard to get back into the swing of things!

A time to mourn is brutal with the doom gate and the devouring gate. As for A Time to Die, unless there is a penalty for being devoured attached to this, the ability can be exploited. Perhaps raise the terror level by one. Oh, and who in their right mind would spend a clue for a 1/6 chance of getting uncursed? Not cost effective. At the very least, doing this should allow anyone else to reroll (or just ban curse rolls altogether).

Yes, hehe, the time to mourn was meant to be brutal with those gates. I don't actually have access to the Lurker yet, so I'm not sure how many gates have abilities that would be exceptionally painful with this herald power.

I like the idea of raising the terror level when someone is devoured (in this way).

The clue token thing was meant to make rolling for curses effectively a roll of 0 dice, which you can always spend a clue token on, but it is kind of clunky. You like something like, "Upkeep: investigators who are cursed do not roll to remove curses. An investigator may spend 1 clue token to roll to remove their curse. If they do so, any other investigator may also roll to remove their curse." ?

Admiral142 said:

Yes, hehe, the time to mourn was meant to be brutal with those gates. I don't actually have access to the Lurker yet, so I'm not sure how many gates have abilities that would be exceptionally painful with this herald power.

I like the idea of raising the terror level when someone is devoured (in this way).

The clue token thing was meant to make rolling for curses effectively a roll of 0 dice, which you can always spend a clue token on, but it is kind of clunky. You like something like, "Upkeep: investigators who are cursed do not roll to remove curses. An investigator may spend 1 clue token to roll to remove their curse. If they do so, any other investigator may also roll to remove their curse." ?

Or something like "Investigators do not roll for their curses. Upkeep: an investigator may spend one clue token to allow investigators to roll for their curses this turn."