Alternate Battle Sister Requisitioning System

By Lynata, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Ave Imperator, everyone!

Again I turn to you seeking opinions, feedback and constructive criticism. I have recently tried to carry over the Requisitioning system as presented in Deathwatch to the BoM Battle Sister career, for I feel that it would provide a much more accurate and complete progression and gameplay experience somewhat closer to the fluff. I am now more or less satisfied with the items listed in the tables, but would like to have input on what you think about the point cost I have assigned to the various items, or if there's something seriously wrong anywhere.

The most important changes to Requisitioning as per the BoM RAW include:

• Bumped the power armour from Rank 1 to Rank 3, turning Ranks 1-2 into a Novice's final "Trial by Fire" before profession
  • Made grenades, upgrades and gear available for requisitioning
  • Assigned military-grade patterns to most weapons
  • Added the plasma pistol as another iconic Sororitas weapon that was missing from the RAW chart
  • Added some new items
  • Several items will only be available at a later stage than they would be in the RAW, extending up into Ascension ranks

Things that are different from Requisitioning as per DW:

• Characters begin with 10 points to spend, and gain more as they progress
  • Requisitioning is permanent. You are expected to keep everything you acquired, the points spent this way do not regenerate. Consumable items such as grenades are the only exception
  • Requisitioned items may be returned to the armoury where they were acquired from for a 100% refund, provided they are in good condition and have not been altered
  • Items that have been altered or damaged or are returned to a different Imperial armoury than the one they were acquired from only result in a 50% refund

I have directly connected the Requisitioning points / Renown value to career ranks to provide a rough guideline for players and GMs alike and to keep the system as easy as possible. The GM may rule to keep track of a Battle Sister's Renown separately from her level and dependent solely on her conduct or the cell's success/failure, adding or removing Requisitioning points as he sees fit. If the system is used this way, higher tiers of Renown are achieved when the character has accumulated sufficient Requisitioning points; for example, a character with 19 points will ascend to Veteran tier when gaining the next point.

Rewarding Requisitioning points should ideally reflect the character's standing with the Adeptus Ministorum, not the Inquisition. Whilst most of the character's accomplishments would have the same effect on her Renown for both organizations, certain actions (such as delivering a captured xenos artefact to the Orders Pronatus) will likely only affect one of them, or in some cases of conflicting loyalty (such as handing the same artefact over to the Inquisition instead) may even raise her reputation with one whilst lowering it in the eyes of the other.

Furthermore, the passage from a character's Novitiate to full Militant status requires the character to visit her home convent for a duration of no less than a full week to undergo a lengthy period of examination and confirmation as well as profession rituals. As long as this process has not been concluded, the character will not have access to items of the Militant tier or higher. The GM may well use this requirement to "artificially lengthen" a character's novitiate by several levels if the presence of a fully armed and armoured Battle Sister would seriously unbalance the campaign. As Sororitas novices are trained to use a wide array of weapons when required, the GM may allow the Acolyte cell to "loan" the character a weapon more suitable to a particular situation than the versatile lasgun. The novice is, however, still required to return the weapons she was issued to her Order.

Now, here we go ...

armoury.jpg

Looks decent, I will have to play test it a bit before I see any problems.