ASoS without base?

By Lethuin, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Hey All,

I just won the ASoS expansion (someone on eBay thought it was an expansion for the LCG and listed this with the core set for the LCG; I play the LCG and wanted another core set, and got both for $22!). However, I don't think I'll be getting the base game until the reprint (since it's expensive and I'm a little short on cash, this auction was my game purchase for now). I've heard contradictory opinions on this, but can I play ASoS without the base game? I know I'd have to make some components up, but would it be too much? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

How bizarre! I was about to start the same topic. :)

Anyway, from what I've found so far, you'll need pieces for the armies and cavalry, which should be easy to substitute for.

You'll need power tokens which are also easy to do.

You'll need the areas of influence tokens and markers, which are again easy to do.

Finally, you'll need the order tokens... which are not as easy to do. I think you'd have to use some sort of poker chips and stick a picture on one side of them. Not really super-hard, but they'll take more effort than the other pieces.

So any of you AGoT veterans... do I have it right? Does that cover everything?

Oh, and unlike the OP, I don't currently own any of this AGoT stuff. I bought the base game when it came out and quickly saw how broken it was. I know, I know, they fixed all of that with the CoK expansion, but it was too late by then. The game was gone in a trade. If anyone knows someone who's moving any of this at a deal, feel free to me a line here or on BGG.

That's about what I got from reading online and checking out the manuals for the two games, so if no one else weighs in, at least we've got confirmation from independent research.

And I don't know anyone with it, but if you don't mind paying full retail, I believe gohastings.com has some in stock. The Hastings by me has one left (I'm not picking it up til the reprint, since I'll be able to get it for $40 then and don't really have a 5th to play it with anyway), and I think you should be able to order online.