Will FFG take Miskatonic Horror as a basis for expanding all the Runebound expansions

By Frog, in Runebound

You guys always stated you wished FFG would expand all the Runebound expansions rather than making new ones. More cards for all the big-boxes etc. Check out this new Arkham Expansion. It expands every expansion for the game big/small by adding 450 cards. It even expands card only expansions.

Will they do this for Runebound?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Though Runebound has done well (at least well enough to merit a whole bunch of expansions), I think Arkham Horror has sold much better than Runebound. I seem to remember that it (AH) topped a bunch of sale lists for quite a while, there.

So my guess is that an expansion expansion would be a lot less likely for Runebound. You need to sell a lot of expansions before an expansion to them would sell well enough to be worth printing.

One possibility I'm guessing we might see is a character-only expansion. There are now enough games with a Terrinoth background (Runebound, Descent, Runewars, DungeonQuest) that if they included cards for all of them it might well have a big enough audience.

The price to make a bunch of cards for multiple games would mean a price to match for the package. Unless on is playing more than one of those games, it wouldn't be worth it most customers.

I'm not sure how the pricing details would work out. My guess is that the big cost would be for the plastic mold, so selling lots of units would be the main concern. But if the cards are the big cost, then Fantasy Flight wouldn't really save much by grouping together a bunch of cards with the figures.

I think that whether or not FFG is willing to consider "expansion expansions" for any other game line will depend largely on how well MH sells. Right now it's just an experimental sales effort. if it sees significant returns, they'll likely look for other ways to do the same thing, if not, they'll just forget they ever tried it.

As far as the Terrinoth line goes, I'd agree that "hero expansions" containing a few plastic figures and cards to match all the games is probably the most easily profitable idea. An expansions that expands all the RB big boxes would be nifty, but sales will likely depend on how many people already own all the big boxes. Hero expansions, on the other hand, could likely sell to people who only have one of the Terrinoth games, assuming they aren't too expensive.

I'm pretty sure the cost producing the plastic figures will far outweigh the cost of printing a few cards for each hero, so the trick to such a thing is finding a way to package just enough heroes that they can ask a price that covers their bases without making it so expensive that people just go "$20 for two figures?! No way!"