new to grimm advice needed

By talhoffer, in Grimm RPG

So I have been trying to track down Grimm for quite a while now and I finally got a copy. I have been in love with the idea of this game since I first heard about it a few years back. Now the world of the game I love but... I'm not sure about the system. It's been about ten years since I have ran a game but I swore if they ever made a warhammer 40k rpg I would get back in the role playing. So far I've run a few sessions of Dark Heresy and it's gone pretty well. Getting back to Grimm I love the simplicity of the linear d6 system but am a bit over whelmed by some of the rules. Today I sat down and wrote myself a little cheat sheet just to get it all straight (love ffg games but rule books they don't do well). As I've been trying to figure out the system I have read several posts on this forum and it seems some folks feel the need to change some of the rules that they feel don't work (ie- +1 wound for every grade over target instead of 3, omitting weapons combat moves, etc). So my question is does the game work as is or are house rules and changes needed to run the game??? Now I know that is a loaded question but I think I have the perfect group for this game and I want to keep them interested. If at the end of the session they think the game is broken, Grimm will just become another dusty book on my shelf.

Also has anyone made any player/narrator aides they would be willing to share? Storytellers screens and the like :0)

Thanks

That's great! Thanks a lot Laughingmask

T

Okay. Honestly, I think my username is self-explanatory. I've been studying this game for over 4 weeks now, and it seems pretty cool. But there are a few things i need help with. Like going up levels and experiance. How do you do that?! It's mostly that. I'm sure I'll think up other stuff to be confused about in the future, but for now, could somebody please help me with this problem!! preocupado.gif

With regards to the experience and leveling:

Page 6 of the text discusses character advancement. It states: "At the end of each story (a series of thematically linked game sessions that comprise a single adventure), your character will graduate." This, to me, means that at the end of each group gaming session, the players' characters will go up one level. I am also running a campaign over several weeks which will have several meetings since my players enjoy exploring their areas and I like making things up on the fly. Of course, i also prepare a story and setting to give them direction. My friends are really imaginative which keeps me on my toes. lol. Of course, if you are playing a single day campaign, you can have your players' characters level after each segment of a story in order to level the characters quickly.

Several things happen at each level gain:

Each character is granted 8 points to put into their choice of traits. (Remember the Nerd gets 2 extra for study traits only each round).

On even level advancements, the characters gain a new archetype ability.

On odd level advancements, the characters are granted a new general talent.

Again, this is all on page 6 of the book, not sure if the PDF is the same.

I hope this helps and wasn't some rambling. I have the first two "stories" of my "saga" written, which are not in the book. I believe laughing mask has a forum created for idea sharing. I may post it there.

I'd be interested to know if you wound up playing a game of Grimm. If so, what rules mods did you end up using, or did you use any?

Just to be helpful to future seekers—while the GM screen and "Campaign sessions" links are broken, and I couldn't find the latter on the forums when I searched, I did find Useful tips for useless traits.