Useful tips for useless traits.

By Laughmask, in Grimm RPG

http://www.swingandamiss.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46 The folks over at Swing and Miss posted a good list of how to use "useless" traits. It's the second post in read, or you can read it here:

"The certain traits that seem less useful in the Grimm lands can be used thusly:
1. Book Learning, Grammar: allows you to decipher scripts and tomes, possibly magical
2. Book Learning, Math and Science: utterly confounds residents of the Grimm lands, amaze them with your magical use of Gravity, Momentum, or Calculation. Most residents only barely know how to count. (One especially powerful example would be, with the right equipment, taking simple water and making it disappear and reappear. We all know this simply as evaporation and condensation, perhaps through a boiling method, but trust me, unless the Grimm resident is a wizard of the highest order, they will be amazed.)
3. Book Learning, Social Studies: historic knowledge in RL can help you become a leader of troops in GL
4. Gaming: while most known for it's ability to cast spells (game test at twice spell circle) gaming also comes into play whenever a kid wants to recognize a familiar fairy tale story and determine an enemy's soft spot.
5. Home Ec.: most especially used to barter with an enemy, i.e. "If you don't hurt me I'll do all the cooking/cleaning for you. Mother says I'm a good help around the house." and your lvl determines how well you perform.
6. There are situations where one trait is priority but another could fill in, such as painting a portrait of the queen. In this example, country club would take precedence since your actions before the Queen are of most import before you can even begin, but since it utilizes either Imagination for painting a wonderful portrait or Cool for convincing the Queen that it is a lovely painting that all will adore, the average of two traits will be the lvl at which you begin your test.
7. and if all else fails, use Luck. A good luck roll at any time could work in your favor, but don't rely on it all the time, and beware of bad Luck."

I thought this was very interesting and useful to help to start thinking outside of the box as far as trait usage.

I'm starting a new reference table for me to use while I run my campaigns incase my players run off course and I need some quick ideas for different trait tests/plot ideas. I figure I could also let my players use this to get some inspiration for new ideas on how to use their traits.

traitspage1copy.jpg

Basically I'm just going through and breaking up each trait into 3 different categories of usage: diplomacy, combat, and exploration. This is just an example so far of what I have because I want to get everyone's input and ideas to throw in with mine for a giant list of unique tests to pull from for both the Narrator to use for upcoming plot devices and players to use for getting out of situations. I don't really have a specific format for posting - just list the skill, category, grade level and test/effect. Thanks! gran_risa.gif