A couple of decks

By Clamatius, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

It's me again. Played a little bit of WH:I and figured I'd post the current decks I have (except the Empire one, since that's property of Vitamin T).

Dwarf Midrange

Standard test deck. Dwarves are probably the strongest faction right now and if you can beat this consistently you are doing well. There are a lot of different ways to build Dwarf since they have a pretty deep card pool - this is kind of the most obvious one.

3 Innovation
3 Demolition!
2 Master Rune of Spite
3 Stand Your Ground
3 Reclaiming the Fallen

3 Slayers of Karak Kadrin
3 Grudgebearer
3 Dwarf Cannon Crew
3 Dwarf Ranger
3 Longbeards
2 Duregrim Thorgrimson

3 Warpstone Excavation
3 Contested Village
3 Mining Tunnels
3 Ancestral Tomb
2 Grudge Thrower
1 Great Book of Grudges
3 Treasure Vaults

Dark Elf Modern Skaven

Playing Skaven right now has 2 big problems. (1) Master Rune of Spite couldn't suck more, so rushing tends to lose to that and (2) killing all their guys means you lose to Reclaiming the Fallen.

This list is a lot more experimental than the Dwarves - I only really got it working at all today, so YMMV. The idea is more of a tempo-based approach with Seeking New Slaves and Soul Stealer aiming to keep Dwarves out of the discard. Also, less Skaven that die to Master Rune of Spite (no Clan Rats! sad.gif ). You also have enough offensive punch to hit hard in the mid-late game and Caught the Scent to defend somewhat against Judgement combo and Reclaiming the Fallen. Wight Lord, Soul Stealer, Deathmaster and Corsairs provide tempo plays and Slave Pen/Treasure Vaults are your resource engines.

3 Warpstone Excavation
3 Contested Village
3 Har Ganeth
3 Slave Pen
3 Treasure Vaults

3 Walking Sacrifice
3 Dwarf Slaves
3 Clan Moulder's Elite
1 Greyseer Thanquol
3 Jezzail Team
2 Deathmaster Sniktch
3 Seasoned Corsair
1 Rat Ogres
3 Wight Lord

3 Innovation
3 Call the Blood
2 Seeking New Slaves
2 Caught the Scent
3 Soul Stealer

This is the empire deck that he referring to:

3 - Warpstone Excavation

3 - Contested Village

3 - Mining Tunnels

3 - Derricksburg Forge

3 - Runefang of Soland

3 - Innovation

3 - Demolition

3 - Long Winter

3 - Order in Chaos

3 - Will of the Electors

3 - Judgement of Verena

2 - Called Back

3 - Friedrick Hemmler

3 - Knights Panther

3 - Pistoliers

3 - Huntsman

3 - Peasant Militia

It is a Judgement Combo Deck. It is much more consistent that I expected that it would be. This Deck is pretty much all in on clearing out at least two zones with Judgement at some point during the match, frequently it will do this multiple time. Hemmler provides the majority of the damage, backed up by knights panther and sometimes pistoliers with Runefang.

I have been playing a similar dwarf deck. I still have in Burn it Downs and I replaced the Long Beards with Serpent Slayers because of this. I have the burn it downs instead of the treasure vaults.

I do really like the concept of this dark elf deck. I especially like Call the Blood right now as its good against Thorgrimson, Hemmler, and High elf healing or indirect damage decks.

Full disclosure: I haven't actually got round to playing the DE deck vs. the test Dwarf list I have above. I was playing vs. ddm5182's high resource Dwarf variant with Contested Strongholds and no Grudge Thrower / Ranger package. The lack of Grudge Thrower helped the DE side a lot since Soul Stealer was a beating every time. I was winning a lot but I was drawing like I had arranged the cards on my deck (the most ridiculous start being Sacrifice, Slave Pen, develop, Innovate, Slave Pen, sac sacrifice, Warpstone, Warpstone).

Normally, I expect the Dwarves to have a substantial advantage, mostly due to Mining Tunnels and Reclaiming the Fallen. If someone gets a chance to try it out, please post your results.

I was surprised at how good the Empire deck was since every time I've tried the Verena plan it hasn't worked. It still feels inconsistent (if you don't draw Judgement at some point early on you are invariably in trouble) and it's definitely hard to play, but it does have decent odds vs Dwarves.

I am not big on the Serpent Slayers right now just because I feel that Empire is the biggest threat for Dwarves (aside from other Dwarves) and thus developing your battlefield isn't that exciting since you really need to protect K & Q. I guess if you expect to play vs. other Dwarves a lot more than anything else then the Slayers plan is probably strong. They do a phenomenal amount of damage.

BTW, Wake the Mountain is excellent against the Empire deck, for obvious reasons. If you are on the Slayers plan you could try it since a triple battlefield pump is going to be good vs Dwarves and a triple K pump is good vs Empire.

Played a few with DE and Empire vs. the Iseara/Grimgor reanimator control deck (which looooves One Orc's Scrap). The orcs are definitely getting it done vs those guys, although I suspect that Reclaiming the Fallen will crush the orc deck most of the time regardless. I'll probably post the updated reanimator once it's more tuned.

so how about that reanimator list? :)

Kind of moot tbh since I don't think you can beat Reclaim Dwarves with that plan. Sometimes you can pull it out with Grimgor to Kingdom but usually it boils down to them being able to instawin in the mid-late game.