The Maroon Skull- Multipost story.

By matze4, in Fan Fiction

Here is the beginning of my story The Maroon skull. It is my first attempt at writing in English it is not my native language and because of that I hope you can overlook any mistakes i might have made. I will happily accept any criticism that will help me become a better writer.

PART 1

The huge chamber was bustling with activity. Adepts clad in grey and brown robes scurried around in the vast ocean of people. Heralds were scattered around the floor standing on small stages, calling out prize changes of various goods, transportation orders and services in need of someone to perform them. They dealt with the loud crowds of traders, businessmen and nobles, all trying to get their hands on the best deals available. The noise was as deafening as any battlefield, and in a way it was just that. A battlefield of finance nonetheless. The Goldenhand was the very centre of economy and trade in the Calixis sector. The very heart of hive Tarsus, second hive of the sector capital world Scintilla. A scary place for most men, but not to the man standing on one of the many luxurious balconies overlooking the scene. He had in fact been here several times before, but never with the same purpose. He was here to make sure a man met his doom, in the name of the emperor of mankind. And he was watching that man presently.

The man on the balcony was Nihilius Westingkrup, born of noble blood in the neighbouring hive city of Gunmetal. Respected gun slinger and throne agent hired by Inquisitor Julius Verbeek. He was dressed in the latest fashion. He wore black leather boots with pointed toes, grey pantaloons that was oversized and baggy over the thighs. Which just happened to be ideal for concealing a modified pump-action shotgun in a quick draw holster. In the same way his long silk coat with plasteel wire frame was perfect for hiding two modified model-20 Westingkrup revolvers called “Scalp-takers” in torso holsters. He hated the **** coat with its frame that made him look like a fat-chested bird with a waist not unlike that of most avian insects. A broad blue leather belt added to this illusion. Its only practical purpose was for concealing guns. His wide brimmed hat had no practical purpose whatsoever, but at least it was darn good looking.
- Data-slate. he said and turned to his valet for the day. This day former Divisio immoralis arbitrator and throne agent Xander Mirth was his second man during this operation. Dressed in the same way as Nihilius but in black and without hat, he handed over the data-slate.
- Thank you Xander. Nihilius said as he received it.
He plugged it in to his monocular cleverly disguised as an eyeglass and set it to record. The monocular zoomed in on his target about 600 metres away.
The targets name was Cirrus and was the proprietor of an auction house in the hives more prosperous districts. He was a distributor of contraband of all kinds.
Everything from illegal xeno beasts, drugs and similar substances, technology, both xeno and tainted, forbidden literature and weaponry went through his organization. Like the Eldar shuriken catapults Nihilius had bought from him three days earlier.

Now Cirrus was talking to another probable customer, some noble woman in extravagant dress followed by a obscene amount of bodyguards. Cirrus himself was not unguarded, he had three mercenary types standing behind him. They wore heavy carapace armours and was equipped with some rather fancy looking laser handguns. The auctioneer himself looked unarmed but most likely he was not. That fat little man were simply to paranoid not to be armed. His painfully obvious attempts to charm and please the lady was pathetic
“He could just as well crawl on all four panting like a hound.” Nihilius thought, feeling just a little sick to his stomach.

After a few minutes the conversation was over and Cirrus started to move through the crowd.
- Target on the move, direction west. Nihilius informed the others trough the micro-bead in his ear. Two affirmations from his fellow acolytes followed. He handed the data-slate to Xander and took point as they left the balcony.
- Target is moving towards exit B 51. a female voice said through the micro-bead.
-We are en route. Nihilius answered as he paced down the corridor.
Both men breathed heavily as they reached exit B 51. Xander produced a small silver can tine from his coat pocket and took a big gulp of its content.
- Are you drinking on duty? Nihilius asked angrily.
- Yes. Xander answered shamelessly.
-Give me that. Nihilius snatched the canteen from the arbitrator and had himself a mouthful.
-Cheers. He said and handed it back.
-We are in position.
-You should have visual in 30 seconds. The female answered through the bead.
-I have got it already, and of you two also.
Cirrus entourage waded through the ocean of bodies. Behind him two grey robed adepts followed at a distance. One was a short female named Luna Affron. She was an old Cleric with a turbulent past. The other disguised adept was a middle aged man who´s face resembled that of an owl. He was a sanctioned psyker who had the ability to create and manipulate fire and light at will. These odd talents had earned him the nickname “spontaneous” or “taneos” because things had a tendency to self-ignite when he got excited or frightened.
-Disengage and standby in reserve. Nihilius instructed them.
-Understood, Good luck. Emperor protects.
-Emperor protects. Xander said under his breath and had a last sip from his can tine before he tucked it away.

Cirrus went passed them without taking notice of them.
- Master Cirrus, a word if I may. Nihilius said in his most humble voice.
Cirrus flinched and the three mercenaries spun around to face the noble.
-Lord Westingkrup. Cirrus exclaimed and put on a tense smile.
-You gave me quite a startle I must admit, greetings to you. He said and bowed.
-Apologies, it was not my intention.
-How can I be of service my lord?
-Well. Nihilius squeezed between the guards and walked up beside Cirrus.
-I wish to discuss our most recent transactions as it were. You see, I am a trigger happy fellow and.. He was interrupted by increasingly nervous Cirrus.
-With all due respect my lord. This is hardly a subject fit for such public surroundings.
-Calm yourself dear Cirrus. The noble placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. Still he felt like a snake spitting his venom into the man´s face. A sweet feeling indeed.
-I have rented a private negotiation chamber. I would be honoured if you cared to join me there. He went on.
- Already rented a chamber? This encounter do not seem as random as I first thought. Cirrus said suspiciously. If he only knew how right he was.
- I am afraid you flatter yourself in thinking you are the only reason I have come to the Goldenhand. Nihilius lied.
- It´s just our lucky day that is all.
Cirrus glared at him for a couple of long seconds.
-Very well, lead the way then.

The rented chamber was as golden as the rest of the establishment. The golden roof had a huge chandelier hanging down over a Mahogany desk. Eight armchairs was placed around it. The floor was made out of black marble and the walls had been covered with a expensive deep purple fabric. At the far wall stood a rather peculiar looking golden throne that served as a bar cabinet. Nihilius went right up to it and poured himself a nice glass of vintage Amasec.
-A drink perhaps? He offered.
-I do not drink when I work. Cirrus answered abruptly.
-Luckily, this is a delight for me. Nihilius said in a smug tone and emptied his glass.
-As a sign of my trust I will let my valet keep watch outside. He said as he filled it up again.
-Then I will let one of my men join him. Cirrus said and made it sound like he made Nihilius some kind of favour.
The noble nodded at Xander who followed the merc out of the room.
Cirrus sat down in the seat closest to the door as predicted.

Nihilius chose the armchair on the opposite side of the desk.
He put his feet up on the edge of it and started tilting his chair back and forth.
Cirrus turned to one of his bodyguards.
-Search it. He ordered.
The guard produced an auspex and started scanning the room. Special attention was paid to the big ventilation shaft about 2 metres behind Cirrus.
Nihilius sipped from his Amasec and lit a lho-stick. He yawned a few times fake boredom. At last the wait was over and the guard returned to his place beside Cirrus.
-So lord Westingkrup. I trust the Eldar rifles were to your satisfaction.
-Yes. Nihilius emptied his glass. This would be fun.
-In fact my lord was so satisfied with them he insisted I had to give you this.
He handed a rolled-up document over to Cirrus.
-What is it? The auctioneer asked curiously.
-It is the order for your arrest as an enemy of mankind. Nihilius smiled.
Cirrus noticed the stamp on the document. A Maroon skull upon a golden letter I grinned back at him. It was the Rosette, mark of the Inquisition.
Cirrus face got the expression Nihilius had been waiting for.
Chock, terror, sorrow, anger and regret all turned into one that brief moment before panic took control. There was a still moment. Silence before the storm.

To be continued....

P.S Hope you all find it inspiring.

PART 2

Cirrus screamed in terror as the ventilation grate was torn open behind him.
His bodyguards went for there weapons as two smoke grenades fell down through the open shaft.
Nihilius kicked away from the desk and let it become his cover as his armchair fell backwards.
Smoke filled the chamber in an instant hampering the field of vision.
A gasp was heard as a thick liquid hit the marble floor. Cirrus screamed and las-fire ripped through the smoke at an astonishing rate.
Every shot sounded like a whiplash as red beams filled the air above him.
Nihilius aimed his knee towards the muzzle-flash and fired his shotgun from it's holster. Muffled curses was heard.
-Clear. A Wheezy female voice said through the micro-bead.
the door opened and Xander came in dragging the body of the third bodyguard behind him.
Smoke poured out into the corridor behind him. He pulled out a black painted stiletto from the guards neck and wiped it of with a handkerchief.
- One dead merc as ordered. He said to to himself as he whipped out his canteen.
- To the dead. he declared as he knocked back it´s content. A dark figure strode out of the settling smoke to meet him.
- To the dead. it resounded. It´s name was Mortia the Moritat Reaper. An assassin of great skill and renown. Also she was in the service of Inquisitor Verbeek.
She wore a tight bodyglove that accentuated her muscular figure. The mask on her head was tailored from human skin and gave her a fearsome visage.
In her left hand she held a bloodied powersword and in her right she dragged the wounded and whimpering Cirrus.
His left heel string had been severed and one of his hands had been cloven down to his wrist.
- Watch him and call in the others. Mortia ordered. Xander did as instructed as Nihilius stood up from behind the desk.
- Are you trying to get me killed you fool? Mortia yelled as she saw him.
- What? He said in a blank manner as he raised his hands in defence.
- You almost shot my head off!
- I tried to help you that is all. The noble explained in unsympathetic tone.
- I was upon him already! Mortia was outraged.
- I did not know, I could not see anything because of the smoke. Nihilius said in a not so good attempt to rid himself of the blame.
- And that is just the perfect conditions to fire a shotgun is not it! The assassin bellowed in absolute fury.
- Don´t be such a baby. The noble snorted and made a jaunty hand gesture.
- Watch your tongue, brat! Mortia roared.
- I resent you calling me that. Nihilius said baffled. He looked down as if he was in shame.
- Well, it was a pity on my pants. He mumbled as he examined the gunpowder stained hole in his pantaloons.
Both knew it was as close to an apology she was ever going to get from him. Mortia just snorted and shook her head as she she turned from him to pick up her other powersword.
It was buried in the ribcage of a bodyguard. As the body had rolled to the side she had to lean forward to retrieve it.
- Have I ever told you how appealing your rear looks in that bodyglove? Nihilus asked with a rather satisfied smirk on his lips.
The assassin turned and gave him an ice cold glare that seemed to pierce right through his skull. The grip around her bloody swords tightened.
Nihilius turned away and started off towards the bar-throne. Sincerely happy that, apart from most things, Mortia couldn´t kill with her eyes.