Would being the Keeper at a preview event be a bad idea?

By Brine, in Mansions of Madness

My local store is looking for a person to be the Keeper during the preview event, and I was considering it. However, not knowing the replayabilty factor, it occurred to me that running multiple sessions throughout the day might expose a lot of the scenario information to me. In the future I would like to also play as an investigator, so I am a bit concerned. I realize this might be an issue with anyone playing the Keeper repeatedly in normal play, but multiple sessions back to back seems like it would compound the issue.

Anyone have any idea if this might be an issue or not?

Edit - I suppose doing the same scenario all day long is one solution.

Well, it seems there are 5 different scenarios with (I think) 3 different outcomes/goals for the Keeper. The video made it seem that even if you're playing a particular outcome, there are different ways to experience it. This might be done possibly through the use of clue placement. I would suggest sticking with one outcome and changing the Keeper objective. That way, if you have someone who comes back for a repeat game, they'll get a new game out of it as well not knowing what your goals are.

The way I see it, I've played Arkham Horror enough times where I'm not always surprised, but still have a great time with my friends. Hopefully, the people you demo the game to will be decent enough players where you won't get bored.

From what I saw in the video, it sounds like the Keeper player makes a lot of decisions about how the story goes- at one point in the video, when they show you a page from the scenario book, it looked you choose not only what the cult is up to but also where someone (Marie) is imprisoned, plus whatever else you decide that wasn't shown on the page. Also, seeing as it is a preview event, I wouldn't be surprised if they had you play one scenario anyway, like a video game demo. Either way, I think it wouldn't be a bad role- someone's got to do it, and from what the video said, it's doesn't sound like a boring role...

Also, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to play your first few games as the Keeper so you know what to expect later on. Just a thought.

I hope you said yes.

Last night our group of volunteers play-tested the game to get ready for this weekend. Yes, some of the scenarios will be easier to know the location of the end-game, but that will only help you with one strategy when there are multiple ways the scenario can lead. Going directly for the end locations to determine which one is the winner could actually hurt you. And there are multiple ways the items necessary for each scenario can be setup. So I don't see how having played a Keeper can make you enjoy the game any less when playing as an Investigator.