New player questions

By Papipo, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi,

I plan to start playing AGoT lcg, but I have several doubts:

Are the old ccg cards compatible with the new lcg ones?
Will all the cards be playable in tournaments or are they going to rotate out as in Five rings or MTG's standard format?
Is the LCG a kind of reprint of the old ccg cards (I think so, since the border is the typical reprint white one)?
In such case, are all the old ccg cards going to be reprinted?

I'm usually a hardcore gamer, so I guess that I will need to buy 3 of each core set, and chapter packs in order to be able to build any kind of deck, right?

It would be nice if somebody could answer this but applied to the Call of Cthulhu lcg too, since I'm probably playing that one as well.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

all the cards are compatible, just the new cards have different borders (white instead of black) and are not so shiny, that is all. With the new LCG came also new rules like counting unspent gold towards dominance and taxation phase, but these are very minor changes so you dont have to worry.

There are officialy now 2 kinds of way to play the game. LCG - just with the new cards and Legacy - with the old as well. And it depends a lot on the meta what kind of game are you going to play. In our small meta we dicieded to play Standart which now includes blocks ITE, 5KE and new LCG stuff.

The LCG reprints only some of the cards. Some of them gets changed a little and some of them are reprinted word by word, but all together there is a lot more cards that are completely new.

Buying all those CP and Core 3 times seems good, you would be able to build decks with all Houses without problems, but not all of us could afford that amount of money, so you can check the article somewhere here about what to buy, but it all depends on you. Personally I thing that noone needs to buy everything 3 times. And there is alway a posibillity of trades. You could share the stuff with someone and divide the cards.

Hope this helps you a little.

Thanks for your input.

That clarifies some points. I guess that the best idea would be to play just with the new LCG cards, since I don't have any of the old ones, and there are a lot of them, hehe. Is that the official/most supported way of plating officially?

What I wouldn't like, are rotating formats. I'm used to Vampire CCG, and there you can play with all the cards, all the time. That demonstrates how well the game is designed, since there is no unstoppable combo.

Papipo said:

Thanks for your input.

That clarifies some points. I guess that the best idea would be to play just with the new LCG cards, since I don't have any of the old ones, and there are a lot of them, hehe. Is that the official/most supported way of plating officially?

What I wouldn't like, are rotating formats. I'm used to Vampire CCG, and there you can play with all the cards, all the time. That demonstrates how well the game is designed, since there is no unstoppable combo.

Welcome!!!

The LCG environment will be the first format, in any sense.

Probably the Highlander format (you can build up an Highlander deck just bying some singles, if you focus on a couple of house, without spending a lot of money) will be a "side" one.

If you can, follow Rozy's advice: buy 3x Core Set and 1x Chapter packs, then, if you need, you can buy some singles too.

They didn't say anything about rotation. I don't know if it'll come. But, IMHO, it'll be very slow.

Chapter packs are released in six months cicles (six chapter pack - one cicle). The only rotation I can imagine is a cicle every two years, if they follow the old standard rythm. So, if you buy all the stuff now, you'll have at least a couple of year of play with the cards becoming available month after month.

Nothing's sure about it, but that's what I did.

Then, if you're not interested in organized play, just don't care of it.

DB

Papipo said:

As DB said I dont see any point in rotating LCG format now, BUT in a future it might come from a single reason. Same as with the CCG if you started to play 6 years ago you would have a lot of cards you could use, you could build a deck with a lot of rares from old cards an you would win most of the games, and the only option for the new players would be to buy some very old cards too, just to be able to play with you a dont loose in 2 plots. So I cas see a point in rotation. Also the card changes in time some of the older cards would be much more powerfull now than it was. For example the Boarding party had an ability to make the current millitary challange SPECIALIZED (where character with more then one icon didnt count their str) and they had stealth, renown and 5 STR, so the onyl way to stop the was to have a lot of one iconed chars or at least 2 with STR 6 and higher. But in the future the didnt support this strategy so there vere only a very few one-icon chars and even Stark (best millitary House) had problems to defend it, at least I had :(

So imagine, when you start playing now and then in 4 or 5 years you friend would wanted to start play, but he would have no access to the old cards. He would lose almost every game against your deck you could build in 5 years, I think that would let him stop playing the game.

So I dont know about the Vampires CCG anything, but it is not probably only about the good design.

one trend that ffg has used to keep their previous rotation policy (again no clue about future rotation) from being too heavey handed has been the use of reprints of key non-overpowered cards.