Tracking based on intelligence?

By Sanguinary Priest, in Deathwatch House Rules

Maybe its just other systems' rules creeping in but it seems strange to me that tracking defaults to the attribute used to measure raw brain power as opposed to defaulting to perception. My reasoning is that tracking is less about raw computation and analysis than it is about noticing the fine details that mark a target(s)'s passage through an area. Anyone see a problem or complication with changing the default attribute for tracking to perception?

Sanguinary Priest said:

Maybe its just other systems' rules creeping in but it seems strange to me that tracking defaults to the attribute used to measure raw brain power as opposed to defaulting to perception. My reasoning is that tracking is less about raw computation and analysis than it is about noticing the fine details that mark a target(s)'s passage through an area. Anyone see a problem or complication with changing the default attribute for tracking to perception?

One way I have addressed this in the past was to require an awareness(perception) test to notice a track, then a tracking(intelligence) test to determine more specifics, like how fresh, which direction what creature ect.

There are a few examples of other skills that float between associated Characteristics. With looking closely, I know that there are varied Characteristics associated with Intimidate and Security, and there may be others.

If you do change it to Perception, be aware that Space Wolves will become the super-trackers. Not that I consider this a bad thing, but it is something to consider.

It doesn't matter how perceptive you are unless you know what to look for. I've done it the way Nimon describes. The player will first have to succeed on a search or awareness test and then roll for tracking if they succeed in finding the trail.

the same can be said for other perception based skills including lipreading but they're perception based. i can see the reasoning of adding the perception roll but that adds another level of possible failure to the a test that usually requires multiple rolls to be successful.

If you really think the issue is strong enough to change something I would just take the average (or would it be the mean?) of Int and Per as base for tracking.

Umbranus said:

If you really think the issue is strong enough to change something I would just take the average (or would it be the mean?) of Int and Per as base for tracking.

Ya that could work or perhaps just add the perception bonus to the int roll or vice versa, wont be a huge increase like +4 or 5%, but still make having both stats worth while.