new full-color maps for free downloads (new ffg article) and question about rumors

By Dominik6, in Mutant Chronicles

[...]

There is one final product that really brings this idea of scalability full circle, and that is new Mutant Chronicles terrain maps. A series of new full-color maps and terrain overlays that will allow Mutant Chronicles to be played on a completely customizable battlefield will be available for free download from the FFG website beginning January 12 . These maps can be organized and re-organized in any possible configuration, and they also work extremely well with the game's scalability. Use two boards side by side for a quick skirmish game, or set up 6-10 boards for a tournament game, or use dozens of them for an epic confrontation. In Mutant Chronicles, the army, the battlefield, and the size and scope of the confrontation is completely under your control, and every purchase can be made with the knowledge that you are getting exactly what you need to play the game of your choice.

[...]

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=336

I´m not sure about this. Are these free maps the same maps, as in the first announced "map pack: mars"? And does this mean, that there will bei no "map pack: mars" anymore (i was hoping for some "boardgame like" map pieces and overlays). Or are these new maps just a gift in addition to the first "real" map pack?

And what ist the best way, to print these new maps out? Just with my black and white laser printer on a piece of paper? preocupado.gif Or do in need someone with a nice color laserprinter, wo can print the map tiles on some kind of cardboard?

Nice article at all, but i´m a little bit confused about it.

I´ve also read some "rumors" about the future of the game on an austria website:

http://w28.nets.at/forum/index.php/topic,84.msg563/topicseen.html#msg563

there, they say, that it is already decided to stop the game after the first complete set of miniatures, because of contract with another company about an other game. Part of the contract is, to stop mutant chronicles, because it could be a rival for the new game from this "other" company.

That sounds really weird to me, and i dont think that it is true. But maybe, someone from FFG can clear this "rumor" mess up for us? happy.gif

Well, if they don't release the map pack, but make it a downloadable file instead, I think the signal wil be clear...

I'm agree with you , Paptimus. But isn't fair! llorando.gif

Well, now we can only wait and hope. How hard is the life of the Mutant Chronicles fan!

Yup, destiny hasn't shown much mercy for us MC fans... Still, I'm glad we got this funny little game... I still intend to collect it till the end...

Paptimus said:

I still intend to collect it till the end...

No doubt about it, of course. Did someone know any 2 inches minis that resembles Blood Berets, or Mishima Hatamotos? If the game can't continue, we can make some "house rules" about it, don't you think? gui%C3%B1o.gif

(but, for now, we have to wait, in consideration for the FFG staff)

This rumor may be born in june 2008 when FFG announced the abandonment of the collectible purchase. This made Mutant Chronicles closer from AT-43 line of product (two prepainted science-fi miniatures games in the same catalog !). And the question each player was wondering is what if FFG choose to retain only one game line product ?

There is some points to plead in favor of MC game line:

1. Mutant Chronicles is a product 100% FFG. This means that FFG had heavily invested in this product and will not delete the game after only its first set releasing (its investment will be returned only after some extensions like any other miniature game business plan). So the MC adventure will continue for a while regarding FFG.
  2. AT-43 is a product from a french company, Rackham, which has gone under into the French equivalent of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection between september 2007 to february 2008 (they sell their AT-43 minis well in US but very poorly in France due to very high price). So this game line, only distributed by FFG, is not so solid in a medium term future.

I know that AT-43 minis are selling far better than Mutant Chronicles ones today, but will FFG choose to sacrifiate in a short term future one of its own games (the first set is not yet released) for another product only distributed ? I think no concerning the 2009 year and I think FFG will let MC the time to find its fan base before any cut. This is only at the end of the year, when FFG will know if MC has found its public or not, with few extensions and investment returned, that the decision, if any, will be made to continue this adventure or not.

I'm not optimistic or pessimistic but I don't think the decision is ever made.

In fact, as of today, FFG is not distributing AT-43 anymore (due to Rackham cancelling their agreement with FFG, since they made a deal with Asmodee after becoming Rackham entertainment). I'm not telling the game is doomed (in fact, I still hope it is not, because I believe in its potential), but the game is still suffering from its poor launch. I was just saying that canceling the map pack would be a bad move IMHO, and a bad signal... It'd be cool if we could have the word of some FFG's official on this, but we know they don't usually post on those boards...

My guesses and speculations:

I think these free map packs will be more of a bonus, generating more interest in the game. And that we'll still get the cardboard map packs. We will definitely see releases all the way to April/May as planned. Next christmas we'll see how the game fareth and what FFG decides to do with it.

And as Paptimus said. I too will collect and support this game till the very end...

Nighthawk said:

My guesses and speculations:

I think these free map packs will be more of a bonus, generating more interest in the game. And that we'll still get the cardboard map packs. We will definitely see releases all the way to April/May as planned. Next christmas we'll see how the game fareth and what FFG decides to do with it.

And as Paptimus said. I too will collect and support this game till the very end...

You are correct Paptimus, and I agree Nighthawk and CoralB -- MC Minis is (most likely) 100% FFG's deal at this point, and with the amount of time they have put into it, I certainly hope they give it a go through 2009.

Considering the financial state of the US, I would certainly hope they do not look at the progress of the game with too much disheartenment. It is amazing anything is selling right now.

I encourage new players and interested parties reading this to enjoy the game and give FFG cause to continue giving us what we enjoy.

Dont get me wrong, i also want to support this game until to end.

Sellings in my store are okay at the moment. i sell about 3 to 4 packs from each new warpack. also, i´ve sold about 10 starter sets until now from the beginning. i think this is okay for single store (here in germany).

"Free is a very good price" as my uncle always used to say. I'd rather have new figures than new maps either way. But then again, I use Heroscape terrain to make my maps 3d anyway, so your mileage may vary. I guess what I'm saying is that even if the free downloads take the place of the purchasable map packs, at least it will be available in some fashion.

For those without sufficient printing capablities at home, there is likely a kinko's or similar print shop in town. If you live in a small town, check out your local newspaper, they might have a small scale printing operation as well.

As for the rumors...I'm going with the groupthink that this particular rumor seems to have more to do with the MC vs. Rackham lines issue, which is now moot as others have pointed out. I think the true test will be when the movie finally comes out...that will either buoy this game quite a bit, or make it even harder to market if the film is a flop.

which movie do you mean? the mutant chronicles movie from simon hunter? the dvd is already released here in germany.

it´s a cool sci-fi b-movie, but is has more or less nothing to do with the setting of the game.

Dominik said:

it´s a cool sci-fi b-movie, but is has more or less nothing to do with the setting of the game.

Ah...details details. :)

Consider that a movie like the Dark Knight likely buoyed toy sales across the DC lines. Name recognition alone is a big factor for the larger market...a feature film is sure to bring some new players into the game.

I don't know exactly what details you need or the degree of knowledge about the movie you have. But here is the informations sources :

Movie site (official trailer)

http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

IMDB site (numerous reviews with very different opinions)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490181/

Concerning theater releasing, the movie has been released in august 2008 in Russia, will be released in january 2009 in Italy, and be released soon in England (the director is english).

Concerning direct-DVD releasing, the movie has been or will be released in North-America and other countries (althought the productor has searched distributors as announced at the Comic Con at the end of jully 2008).

Else, a ripped version circulate on internet since jully 2008 (officially not the final version).

Concerning MC license, it is easily forgetable (just my opinion).

I'm pretty up to date on the film info...it's scheduled for limited release here in the states (probably similar to an art house film), but even that will help lift the brand profile. It's getting coverage on shows like Attack of the Show on G4. Even though the movie and the game don't share the exact same storyline, well, neither did the X-Men movie and the X-Men comics, or the Transformers movie and the cartoon for example. But the title is the same and the themes are similar enough...I have to imagine that anyone that first sees the movie and then sees the game will find them similar enough.

You can download the new map tiles now and they look nice, i think (i like the "more open terrain" ones)... the only problem is, that the hexes are too big if you print them... i try to fix that problem...

This is the automatic scaling from the printer. You must desactivate it ( fit to the border to none) in order to have the right dimension (just smaller than A4 format).

There is only two boards (two sides for each of them) so the Mars : Map pack with six boards and tiles is still relevant. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I always tried that, but nothing happened serio.gif

Ok, so those are really bonus maps ? Great news ! I find them a little bit small (well, they have to fit on A4 sheets...), but it's a nice move from FFG nonetheless !

Nice maps. I´m not sure, how i will print them out in color (maybe a printing shop in town?). If i print them out with my brother hl-2030 laser printer, the hexes are to large. Putting of the boardes or scaling in my adobe reader, doesn´t work.

I printed them scaled to 81%, then it fits...

Thanks for the info Sevyd!

Although "for Free" is always nice, i am really looking forward to the Mars Map Pack.

That recall me the old Blood Berets cardboards (cavern side/jungle side).

There are four new free maps in the support area on the MC Homepage. I would have missed them, if a friend hadn't told me to look for them.

I wonder why FFG Staff don't post a few lines to let us all know there is something new. However i think the new ones are really good, there are more walls and terrain on them than the last maps.

Whoa. Thanks man. Didn't know of them either. gui%C3%B1o.gif