Lovecraft Collection DVDs

By PearlJamaholic, in The World of H. P. Lovecraft

has anyone watched any of these? i got the first two and while nothing great they are kinda neat.

vol 1 is pretty true to the stories but the acting never gets above ok. and the narration in the hound is so fast it pretty much ruins any suspense/horror. its like a kid thats super excited and just tells the story at a million words a minute.

vol 2 is meh at best. the acting is better with this collection but the main story is just dumb in my opinion. something about a re-emergence of cthulhu cults. they completely ruined the terrible old man, but it probably has the best acting of the series so far. terrible old man is more an old guy with some a skin rash and a sword rather than an old anicent monster of sorts. maybe i mistook this part of the story

"horribly slashed as with many cutlasses, and horribly mangled as by the tread of many cruel boot-heels"

as being a monster that ripped them to shreds rather than a guy with a sword, but oh well.

well ill check out the others in the series sometime and see how they are. i just hope they are alot better than vol 2.........

Volume 3 is the best IMO. It has a Canadian Lovecraft shortstory that is quite good. It's about an hour long and acutally has the character of Lovecraft in it.

And "The Hapless Antiquarian" is one of my favorite shorts. It's a good tribute to Edward Gorey.

Overall I've enjoyed the Lovecraft Collections (I've seen all but Volume 5). They are sort of "greatest hits" from short films shown at the HP Lovecraft Film Festival here in Portland. I definitely agree that the main feature on volume 2 is weak, which is sad because it was one of the few made by supposed professionals (it was a pilot for a British TV series that never got off the ground).

I thought the adaptation of Cool Air on volume one was quite good.

You have to take the collections for what they are, amateur productions made by dedicated fans.

Hi

Have any of you seen the silent version of CALL OF CTHULHU? It's a new adaptation, quite faithful to the original. I think it was made in 2003 or 2005, somewhere in there. It is "silent" with an original score and it is done in the style of the silent era. Cthulhu is stop-action animation and really pretty good considering the budget for this film was probably $500. I think this film is a wonderful tribute to the silent era AND to HPL. I have watched my copy several time and always fine new things in it. The same production company is supposed to be working on a second Lovecraft film, sorry, I forget which on. Check it out!

I saw that on Netflix a couple weeks ago! Cthulhu was...interesting to say the least. All the same, I kind of believe that a truly convincing CGI representation would have felt inappropriate, given the film's otherwise exceedingly '20s-style expression. I liked it. ^_^

Ive been wanting those collections, I might have a different opinion on them as I am interested in short films, and so Im not as critical on thier execution, or lack there of, Ive made fan films/short films and it aint easy