Just a few questions before buying

By Pevs86, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Hi guys,

I recently bought the AGoT LCG, as a fan of the books I loved it... but much to my amazement so did my friends who had never read the books, which was a result :D

Anyway, pressure was on for a board game and obviously I came straight here for some advice.

Firstly, how playable is it with 3 players? I want to get my moneys worth (cheapest I've found in the UK is £50, after delivery) and obviously it's much easier to gather 2 friends than 4.

Secondly, is it fine to play without the expansion packs? I've read several posts about adapted rules that make the game more interesting, but from what I gather most require one of the expansion packs. *If* I can get my friends playing frequently, obviously I'll pick one or both of the expansions up, but I just want to make sure that the standard game is going to intoxicate them :P

Lastly, relating to tweaked rules, is there some resource website with these listed? Or are they in the manual/FAQ? I haven't looked very hard yet as I obviously don't know how the standard game works, but I'd like to be able to meet and complaints with "Ah, but we can always use "X" rules!"

Any help appreciated, cheers!

1 - the game works fine with three players in my opinion. some of the intensity is lost because there is more room to move around without conflict, but it's still fun.

2 - you can absolutely play without the expansions. in fact, i would recommend not using the expansions for your first 5 plays or so. there is enough to remember without the extra rules. i played 5 or 6 games before i bought one of the expansion. since i got the expansion i am slowly incorporating the new rules one or two at a time. but like i said, they are not at all necessary, they just add some new angles to the game.

3 - i'm not really familiar with the rule changes you're talking about. it'll take you a few plays before you understand the mechanics of the regular game, so you won't have to worry about modified rules for a little while.

as long as you have a few friends to play with i highly recommend this game, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers Grafik, I have just ordered it! Not many places have it in the UK it seems... which is a shame.

Also read that PBEM is an option, which is great!

Hey there Pevs86, where have you been able to order it in the UK and is it confirmed as in stock?

I've been looking for almost 2 months for a copy of the game, but bar 1 copy that I found on ebay (and missed out on) I've not seen it anywhere else that actually has it in stock.

Would love to have a version of the game prior to the premiere of the HBO series coming up in April

ezeqiel said:

Hey there Pevs86, where have you been able to order it in the UK and is it confirmed as in stock?

I've been looking for almost 2 months for a copy of the game, but bar 1 copy that I found on ebay (and missed out on) I've not seen it anywhere else that actually has it in stock.

Would love to have a version of the game prior to the premiere of the HBO series coming up in April

Hi Ezeqiel! It did take some searching, but I ended up getting it from Blue Boar Games - looks like they have stock :)

I saw a copy on eBay for $431.00, which I assumed was a typo but still...!

Hey Pevs86,

Did you contact Blue Boar Games and confirm that they have a copy (or more!) in stock?

I found a couple of online retailers who each list the game as in stock and available on the website, but when contacted directly they've advised me that they did not have the item in stock but that the way they worked was that they would take the order, source it from elsewhere (probably a suppliers) and then send it on to me.

This method would obviously be open to any delays applicable to sourcing the game in question... for games still in production/print any delay is probably quite minor, but for what I've so far found to be a notoriously hard to come by game, would expect A Game of Thrones BG delays to be quite lenghty!

I wasn't prepared to place an order and pay for something that may end up never being sourced - I'm not sure Blue Boar Games was one of the companies I contacted, as I deleted all my responses in frustration!

If you have any more luck than me, then let me know as I have long been after a copy of this game.

I'm hopeful that FFG will use their heads and coincide a reprint & release cin and around the HBO show airing this year, it makes sense right?

i can understand you totally, for i have the same experience before

regards,

wow gold

ezeqiel said:

Hey Pevs86,

Did you contact Blue Boar Games and confirm that they have a copy (or more!) in stock?

I found a couple of online retailers who each list the game as in stock and available on the website, but when contacted directly they've advised me that they did not have the item in stock but that the way they worked was that they would take the order, source it from elsewhere (probably a suppliers) and then send it on to me.

This method would obviously be open to any delays applicable to sourcing the game in question... for games still in production/print any delay is probably quite minor, but for what I've so far found to be a notoriously hard to come by game, would expect A Game of Thrones BG delays to be quite lenghty!

I wasn't prepared to place an order and pay for something that may end up never being sourced - I'm not sure Blue Boar Games was one of the companies I contacted, as I deleted all my responses in frustration!

If you have any more luck than me, then let me know as I have long been after a copy of this game.

I'm hopeful that FFG will use their heads and coincide a reprint & release cin and around the HBO show airing this year, it makes sense right?

I'd hope and pray they have it out before HBO start airing the show, it'd be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't!

I haven't received my copy yet, so I'm guessing the website was lying :( I was emailed yesterday saying my order was "now being processed" - so maybe they've gotten their hands on one from somewhere JUST to accomodate my order, or gotten a new shipment in I don't know - but it may be worth emailing them sooner rather than later, just incase!

I hope you guys get lucky and find a copy. In my experience most shops who claim to have the game in stock actually don't. They enthusiastically tell me they will order it for me. However, with the game currently being out of print, none of them actually manage to get hold of a copy and I now have 7 game stores informing me that they preordered and will let me know when it comes in...which can be months from now.

Unfortunately I can't find a reliable date as to when the reprint is scheduled for. FFG oftentimes states that they're reprinting when in fact they don't even have an official deadline for the reprint yet. Anyone know more?

I emailed customer service about it this afternoon, they were good enough to tell me that a reprint is scheduled, and it will hopefully be soon because of the resurging interest in the title. However they didn't specify a date.

They did mention that with some of the older games they have to rotate what's in production and what isn't, because their warehouse is pretty much at capacity now, though if the demand keeps increasing like this I think somewhere to put the games will be the least of FFG's worries!

matt486 said:

I emailed customer service about it this afternoon, they were good enough to tell me that a reprint is scheduled, and it will hopefully be soon because of the resurging interest in the title. However they didn't specify a date.

I just heard back from FFG customer support today that the game is scheduled for a reprint but nobody knows when it'll be coming in. Sound familiar? I'm beginning to think somebody managed a major screw up on the reprint order and now they're beating each other over the head because the HBO series is generating major interest in the franchise, books are out there to buy in several binds and versions but no board game; and even the card game will be another 4-6 weeks, I'm told. I mean, really?!

Luckily some places online still have copies (in theory). I just snagged one off Amazon from some seller; hoping it turns out to actually be the game and not a mistake on their part in the form of the LCG starter :) .