Custom Avatars

By Hahnarama, in Support

Guys,

PLEASE give us the option to upload/link to our own avatrs. IMO its weak that within a few weeks eveyone will look like a clone.

I agree... Hopefully this is an oversight and not a downgrade...

There's over a hundred avatars already available, and they're going to be uploading more.

Better than some other company websites that don't let you have any avatar at all.

I do not like the fact that we get a small selection of Avatars. Does anyone designing this website ever use forums with Avatars? They are there to allow quick visual reference as to who is in the thread's conversation. Having the same Avatar for multiple members throws that out the window and just gets plain creepy.

Or, should I just add this to every post ...

TannhauserMalechi.gif

I have a custom avatar that I use at everye other site. i would like to see them here as well.

ColtsFan76 said:

I have a custom avatar that I use at everye other site. i would like to see them here as well.

I belive they have already said they will look at adding Custom Avatars soon.

Adding?

They make it seem like it's not a commonplace concept.

As long as we don't have to deal with images in the signature file I'll be fairly happy. Hell, add a stetson to my current avatar and you've practically got my previous one.

Apologies in advance for a little thread hijacking, but with you guys all posting in here, I thought I had logged into hereoscapers.com. gran_risa.gif

Back on topic, I agree about the Avatars. A nice range here for thos who don't have their customs, but the opportunity to use our own would be much appreciated.

Another vote for Avatars.

I like the actual system. So the website has one style. With everyone uploading his own things, there would be chaos.

Another Vote for Avatars on our own, the jester is cool but already taken by too many other people!

Did FFG design the new page on his own? Looks a lot lik,e the one from ubik and Edge Enterteinment! www.edgeent.com/

It looks like copy&paste, but good.

jogo said:

I like the actual system. So the website has one style. With everyone uploading his own things, there would be chaos.

I hardly think that is true. It would just mean that they have a few megabytes of small files that people have uploaded, while the forum members will get their own little representation. I, like others, use the same name and the same avatar on all the forums that I frequent. It allows people to read, or ignore, what I write with little effort other than a quick glance. Admittedly, the name also helps, but there we go. gran_risa.gif With everyone having the same picture...?

No, I don't think that introducing custom avatars would add any chaos whatsoever. Distinctiveness for posters, maybe, but not chaos.

Thus I too have another vote for custom avatars, and hope that jadrax is correct that they will be adding these sometime in the near future.

Kage

Malechi said:

I do not like the fact that we get a small selection of Avatars. Does anyone designing this website ever use forums with Avatars? They are there to allow quick visual reference as to who is in the thread's conversation. Having the same Avatar for multiple members throws that out the window and just gets plain creepy.

Or, should I just add this to every post ...

TannhauserMalechi.gif

AMEN!

854d6fae5ee42911677c739ee1734486.png

jogo said:

This is a joke right?

jogo said:

But you have people all using the same Avatars. Avatars are there to identify people. If multiple people have the same one, then there is chaos. There is a thread in the StarCraft forum where the first four posts all have the same Avatar. People would have to read all the names to make sure they are following the conversation correctly.

I dont think it would be a bad idea, but they just got this site up so give them a chance to flesh out the default ones first then move on to getting extra space for us to upload custom ones.

Kage2020 said:

jogo said:

I hardly think that is true. It would just mean that they have a few megabytes of small files that people have uploaded, while the forum members will get their own little representation. I, like others, use the same name and the same avatar on all the forums that I frequent. It allows people to read, or ignore, what I write with little effort other than a quick glance. Admittedly, the name also helps, but there we go. gran_risa.gif With everyone having the same picture...?

No, I don't think that introducing custom avatars would add any chaos whatsoever. Distinctiveness for posters, maybe, but not chaos.

Thus I too have another vote for custom avatars, and hope that jadrax is correct that they will be adding these sometime in the near future.

Kage

Actually, avatars needn't take up any server space beyond the adress to an off site image hosting such as photobucket.

That's the way I always do it anyway, if possible. I have an off site script that cykles avatars on every load between about 8-9 avatars with very similar style.

Graspar said:

Actually, avatars needn't take up any server space beyond the adress to an off site image hosting such as photobucket.

That's the way I always do it anyway, if possible. I have an off site script that cykles avatars on every load between about 8-9 avatars with very similar style.

While that's true, I always host it on the local server. As above, it doesn't take a huge amount of space even if you're dealing with thousands of avatars. After all, what's the limit on most decent virtual servers out there? 30 Gb or so?

As you note, though, there are multiple ways of doing it.

Kage

Maybe once a member gains a sufficient amount of those "Points" they should be allowed to upload their own custom avatar.

That would be pretty boss.

Necrozius said:

Maybe once a member gains a sufficient amount of those "Points" they should be allowed to upload their own custom avatar.

That would be pretty boss.

Yeah. At around 250 points would be grand. :P

Luftwaffe Flak said:

..... but they just got this site up so give them a chance to flesh out the default ones first then move on to getting extra space for us to upload custom ones.

Yes the site is new but it should have been TESTED thoroughly before going live to the masses. My frsutration level os to the point where I am not finding anything new/usuful over here and just trying to catch up is a task.

jadrax said:

I belive they have already said they will look at adding Custom Avatars soon.

Citation? 'They' said... who are ' they' and when and where was this said. Hearsay I say! Hearsay! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Also what is up with these points things, its bloody confusing to me seems kind of arbitrary, I went from 5 to 10 to like 30 I think then 90... ? Some people seems stuck in th 70s other have 150+ - 250+

But yes all for the Custom Avatars (although I might just keep this Masjid, not often you find a siite with a preloaded masjid avatar.)