On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, New Arcadia Expansion

By Lostintransit, in Fan Creations

Hello all,

I have had the idea for a penny arcade style Arkham Horror expansion ever since playing the XBLA games. The themes within these games, while comedic, have a similar style and tone to the mythos.

Now I couldn't find any reference to this concept, so I would like to present this expansion idea to the veteran forum members (and everyone else!).

The concept, as it is in the games, was that there is an ancient prophecy regarding the 4 remaining ancient ones, who attempt to gain entrance into the mortal realm. So my idea was simple (so to speak...) a style of game where there are 3 ancient ones in play at once (!), following the themes from the games.

I have made some progress with the cards rules text and various concept ideas, using the wonderful eon program (such a useful tool!), and I will attempt to show the fruits of this labour here in this post.

Any thoughts, feedback, ideas, etc are all welcome.

I will attempt to keep this first post up to date so that it is easy to reference at any given time.

Regards

Cards to follow:

Yog-Kathak: The 2nd ancient one in the set. There are 8 cards in the robot parts deck. You can draw them when you defeat a fruit f*cker

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/nessieintransit/Arkham%20Horror/Yog-Kathak-Front-Face.jpg

EDIT: If someone can explain how to get the image up without the need for links it would be alot easier to browse!

Good luck with your expansion! I shall be very interested to see your progress.

Okay complete lemon moment for me but how do you edit a post?

Regards

EDIT: ah so it's on a timer to stop rapid edits, fair enough.

Oh, anyone know how to upload the images into a post, normally a copy/paste from photobucket works but I seem to be having issues.... :-(

Lostintransit said:

Okay complete lemon moment for me but how do you edit a post?

Regards

EDIT: ah so it's on a timer to stop rapid edits, fair enough.

Oh, anyone know how to upload the images into a post, normally a copy/paste from photobucket works but I seem to be having issues.... :-(

I think you have to click the icon showing the picture with the mountains on the toolbar to upload pictures.

Ant then you have to copy & paste the URL where the picture you want to instert is. After this, you have to click on the "preview" box in lower right corner of the "image window" in order to make the picture be visible.

Okay,

Thanks for all the help, I will now attempt to upload all 3 of the ancient ones, the guardian and the herald along with their decks/cards.

Still to come is the board/location events/Ancient one plots/misc!

Also: SPOILERS AHEAD!

So as you can see, these three in conjunction prove a fair old challenge, but there is a few rules that should be explained that I have yet to write up in full:

1) That as all 3 Ancient ones are being fought, you can choose whether or not to fight a ancient one when he wakes up. (they will appear in locations on the new board) moving the investigators who choose to fight to the location. Anyone who doesn't carries on as normal as the game will continue (basically the turn sequence is followed, but the 'ancient one battle attacks' take place in the Arkham encounter phase. This means mythos happens etc.

2) If a wake up is caused by anything other than filling the doom track, only 1 ancient one awakens at a time (Sethis first, then Kathak, then Modaigh) This gives the investigators who choose not to fight a chance to change the situation (spending tokens, closing gates etc) meaning the other ancient ones don't wake up.

3) If the ancient one doom track fills while the investigators are fighting another ancient one, then the new ancient one does wake up, and if no investigators go to fight it, then they lose. (this is the only time an investigator can leave a fight with an ancient one)

4) players still lose if the investigators fighting the ancient ones are killed (so sending just 1 guy to hold off the ancient one won't work! well most of the time) Players can also 'join the fight' by moving to the location the ancient one is at. Once they are fighting the ancient one though they can't leave!

5) If the players manage to seal with enough elder signs but an ancient one (or more!) are awake, the ancient ones must be defeated before the victory is counted. However no more ancient ones can awaken due to the signs strength, also as per the herald, if all 3 ancient ones are defeated then the investigators lose, regardless of the elder signs on the board.

Most of the rules above are to cover the oddities of having more than 1 ancient one awaken! :D

First Up: Yog-Sethis, the first Ancient one that attempts to break through. (the picture isn't great but I couldn't find a better picture, they all have the stupid flag!)

Yog-Sethis-Front-Face.jpg

His worshipers: The Cultist Mimes

Cultist-Mime2.jpg

Now the 2nd Ancient One: Yog-Kathak, you need to defeat his minions to get enough robot parts to take him down.

Yog-Kathak-Front-Face.jpg

His minions: The Fruit F*ckers, for those who know penny arcade humour they need no introduction :D

Fruit-Fucker.jpg

And the various robot part cards: These are a deck of 8 cards that has 1x Golden bolt, 1x Truck engine, 1x Molecule of Energite, 5x Spider Silk.

The idea behind this was to represent the game where you need the parts to assemble a robot to fight the god at the end!

Golden-Bolt.jpg

Truck-Engine.jpg

Molecule-of-Energite.jpg

Spider-Silk.jpg

Now the final ancient one: Yog-Modaigh: He is pretty simple really, perhaps even suitable for a regular game.

Yog-Modaigh-Front-Face.jpg

The Herald: This is the Brahe family curse/work that brings about the end of mankind, so defeating all the ancient ones is a big no!

TheQuartet-Front-Face.jpg

An now for the guardian; very useful, helps out, but the players have to work fast to make sure you can keep it in play.

The-Startling-Developments-Detective-Age

First up, the Necrowombicon, this card can easily remove the help you will get, so smart thinking is required.

Necrowombicon.jpg

Here are the 8 cards which make up the helpful deck

Level-Up2.jpg

Level-Up1.jpg

Level-Up3.jpg

Jim.jpg

Tycho-Erasmus-Brahe.jpg

T-Kemper.jpg

Jonathan-Gabe-Gabriel.jpg

Anne-Claire.jpg

So thoughts and feedback?

Regards

As promised,

Here is the expansion board and the mythos cards for it!

Still to come: plots for the Ancient ones, location encounters + ancient one location tokens!

The mythos section on the board says to add 10 hobo monsters to the cup, and draw a new arcadia mythos card in addition to a regular mythos card.

so first up the hobo monster

Hobo-1.jpg

And here is the board, I have broken it into 2 sections so it is easier to read: Section 1A

New-Arcadia-1A.jpg

And section 1B:

New-Arcadia-1B.jpg

There are 30 cards in the New Arcadia Mythos deck, they are designed to open up gates in arcadia + small benefits/penalties:

Lucky-for-Some.jpg

Throne-of-the-Ancient-King.jpg

Theory-of-Man-Proven.jpg

Strengthen-the-Seals.jpg

Stranger-Request.jpg

Strange-Request.jpg

Silent-Pope-Sighted.jpg

Robot-Rumble.jpg

Robot-Monkey-Rampage.jpg

Odd-Signs.jpg

Night-at-the-Museum.jpg

New-Science.jpg

New-Art-Exhibition.jpg

Lost-and-Found.jpg

Lightning-Storm.jpg

Home-away-from-Home.jpg

Hobo-Roundup.jpg

Heavy-Rain.jpg

Gathering-of-Minds.jpg

Free-Arcade.jpg

Economic-Boost.jpg

Deadly-Quiet.jpg

Cultists-Slaughtered.jpg

Couples-found-Dead.jpg

Building-for-Sale.jpg

Arkham-Buyout.jpg

A-Past-Resolved.jpg

Angry-Petition.jpg

Wild-Party.jpg

All-is-Quiet2.jpg

So there we go, more still to come but some thoughts would be nice! :D

Regards

Niiiiiice...a little sillier than most stuff for Arkham, but a little humor doesn't hurt.

Hadanelith said:

Niiiiiice...a little sillier than most stuff for Arkham, but a little humor doesn't hurt.

Why thank you! :D

The hope is that while it might be silly and a little fun, it is fair and still enjoyable to play. I understand that arkham is supposed to be very horror driven, which to an extent the games are as well, but they take a more light, fight the gods where possible, approach.

I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this. I was aiming for balance, but still fighting 3 ancient ones at once is tricky!

Here are the Location encounters:

Riverbrook-5.jpg

Riverbrook-4.jpg

Riverbrook-3.jpg

Riverbrook-2.jpg

Riverbrook-1.jpg

Pelican-Bay-Boardwalk-5.jpg

Pelican-Bay-Boardwalk-4.jpg

Pelican-Bay-Boardwalk-3.jpg

Pelican-Bay-Boardwalk-2.jpg

Pelican-Bay-Boardwalk-1.jpg

Geralds-Park-5.jpg

Geralds-Park-4.jpg

Geralds-Park-3.jpg

Geralds-Park-2.jpg

Geralds-Park-1.jpg

Desperation-Street-5.jpg

Desperation-Street-4.jpg

Desperation-Street-3.jpg

Desperation-Street-2.jpg

Desperation-Street-1.jpg

Gah!

Put up the wrong plating encounter in the Riverbrook Parks Estates!

Ignore the first encounter card above, this is the proper wording!

Riverbrook-5edit.jpg

Here are the last missing pieces:

3 plots for each ancient one, their token to place on the board when they awaken, and the new ally.

Any feedback at all from anyone? A fair few people have looked......

New ally Dr Jonathan Crazoir:

Dr-Jonathan-Crazoir.jpg

Yog-Sethis token:

Yog-Sethis-Token.jpg

Yog-Kathak Token:

Yog-Kathak-Token.jpg

Yog-modaigh token:

Yog-Modiagh-Token.jpg

Yog-sethis Plots:

Yog-Sethisplot3.jpg

Yog-Sethisplot1.jpg

Yog-Sethisplo2.jpg

Yog-kathak plots:

Yog-Kathak3.jpg

Yog-Kathak2.jpg

Yog-Kathak1.jpg

Yog-modaigh plots:

Yog-Modaigh3.jpg

Yog-Modaigh2.jpg

Yog-Modaigh1.jpg

Okay,

So I thought I would keep everyone up to date with the testing.

Having played a 3 player and a 6 players game, I can say it flows as expected. The first Ancient one wakes up, with the 2nd following unless the players are smart or lucky. The additional monster room from the guardian helps as do the power ups, but the threat of losing them via the necrowombicion makes the players act hasty.

Overall a fun, if lengthy, addition.

Anyone else given it a try?

Regards