Banned Cards

By Mr. K, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Does antone know the reasoning behind banning of certain cards? For example. I see that Aspiring Artist is banned, and I wonder what the problem is with it. Any elucidation on the others would be welcomed as well!

Regards

Kxx

Aspiring Artist is not as broken as some of the more recently banned cards. But it is easy to use it as a draw engine with Victoria's Protege, for example. I figure the concern was that it became too cheap to draw cards.

I find the idea of 'broken' cards somehow amusing! But I get it, because of it's zero cost it could keep getting played. Actually that's a new concept for me, I thought you could bring cards into play from your hand only during your Operations phase.

So what was the deal with Endless Interrogation? Oh, was it the zero cost thing again?

Kxx

The Hastur faction is not known for card draw. That is one of the main strengths of Miskatonic University. When a card does something better than what a specific faction is generally known for, and for a much cheaper price along with combo possibilities...it has to be addressed.

Thats not to say that there isn't crossover, but if Hastur is going to get card draw, it should cost more and have more drawbacks, not be one of the best card draw mechanics in the game.

Endless Interrogation was broken because it cost nothing, allowed you to discard two of your opponents cards from their hand and allowed you to bring it back to hand for 1. If you succeeded at three stories in the first turn you could challenge a story at, then the oppoent basically discards their hand. For an early game...this is not able to be effectively countered.

Doing this early game was quite easy when Magah Birds along with the Seventy Steps of Lighter Slumber were in play.

It basically worked out that the magah/steps/interrogation/sledge dogs player got more of his characters out before you did, yours were exhausted when they finally did come in, and then you discard your hand.

Seventy Steps likely just barely missed being banned. In conjunction with slower cards, its not that powerful. It's a good card, but not 'Magah Birds combo good'.

Magah was also likely banned for fuuture interactions with silver twilight as well. Lots of sac emchanics in that faction and when you are getting three characters that you can sac for big bonuses all while thinning the deck (which helps in drawing crucial cards), magah would have been a pretty sick card to keep around.

So you see, in some ways these cards were broken. Personally, I think some sort of an errata would have sufficed (like Magah go into 'Hand', not into 'Play'), but I can see where it's not always possible.