Defense lasers, order/combat card precedence...

By artemis8, in Horus Heresy

Hello, following 2 problems arose in our last game:

1) Do defense lasers shoot at Chaos forces that fly FROM a spaceport TO Vengeful Spirit? Rules cover a situation for INBOUND units, which I understand as a direction FROM Vengeful Spirit TO a spaceport. But taken logicaly they should be able to shoot on both types (directions) of transports.

2) When there is a contradiction between a combat card and an order card, which takes precedence?

a) Order card Frenzied assault vs. combat card Strategic withdrawal . RA says that units that rout or retreat are instead killed, while SW enables you to withdraw, but also specifies that this move is not supposed neither a retreat nor a rout, so it is clear.

b) Another example: Again Frenzied assault vs. the combat card Know no fear , that enables Space marines, instead of their killing, to move them to an adjacent area with 2 wounds. Does RA effect kill them or not ? Similar situation is with a combat card Buy time .

What do you think about it? Thanks for your feedback.

1) No, they don't. It might be more realistic if they did, but the rules don't allow it, and I think it's for the better. It is more interesting and cool to shoot at troops incoming from above.
Note that that would be a reason for traitors to man Defence Lasers (to shoot down the Emperor's forces when he tries to board Vengeful Spirit; I know they are not allowed to).

2)
a) This one is clear, as you said.
b) This one is clear as well. Know no Fear says "place" not rout or retreat. So Frenzied Assault has no influence on this effect. Buy Time says "move" which signifies the same: No influence of Frenzied Assault on this effect.
As you see, Frenzied Assault can only influence effects that use the words "rout" or "retreat".

redsimon said:

2)
a) This one is clear, as you said.
b) This one is clear as well. Know no Fear says "place" not rout or retreat. So Frenzied Assault has no influence on this effect. Buy Time says "move" which signifies the same: No influence of Frenzied Assault on this effect.
As you see, Frenzied Assault can only influence effects that use the words "rout" or "retreat".

What a pity sad.gif !

Thus Imperial boys have still enough possibilities (cards, mentioned above) how to escape from a neatly woven web of Chaos forces.

Let them escape, you don't need to kill them (if you do, it's a welcome bonus of course), you just need the four Spaceports gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Also there is no escape from a well-aimed orbital bombardment. cool.gif

OR EVEN A POORLY AIMED WITH THE LUCK MY PLAY PARTNER HAS WITH reckless bombardments :P