Please don't misspell Lann the Clever

By radiskull, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

In the most recent Storylines announcement, players may vote on whether to print a card for some legendary character in AGoT history. One of those is "Lan the Clever".

It's LANN the Clever (two Ns, not one!). Every time I see a character's name misspelled in this game it irks me more and more. I know it's only an article, but I believe it shows a lack of care with the source material. (It's not that hard to look it up.) Were a card to be actually PRINTED with this misspelling... well, that's an order of magnitude worse.

Just a heads-up to any copy editors who are reading. Thanks!

(It's also Balerion the Black Dread, not Balerion the Black. I think he might eat you for that.)

Although I appreciate your passion for the material...there are worse things to complain about.

maybe not so much with AGoT LCG, but c'mon! Is it really that disturbing to you?

I don't know. I'd be pretty upset if I saw a John Snow in the game.

Also bear in mind that the OP program is being organized by Paul, who may or may not have read the books, so some of his typos might just be misunderstandings of words spoken to him.

Well, there's enough difference in the two examples stated to put these arguements far apart, imo.

John Snow would be ridiculous. He is a main character, referenced hundreds of times.

Lann is a backround character, not important to the crux of the story at all, as far as we know. cool.gif

I am not saying it's a non-issue, it just makes me wonder why people get sooo upset over the little things.

Sure, I'd be ticked if Edward Stark just gave my poor tax collector the beat-down, but it wouldn't change how great and strategic this game is.

Not arguing, just saying...

Yeah, well, one of the towering strengths of GRRM's work is the attention to detail. Misspelling a name from the books, no matter how minor or peripheral the name may be, is understandably irksome to people and fans of GRRM's world because it shows a certain disregard for the source material - not to mention lax quality control over at FFG. And for many people, it is those irksome little details that make it hard to be truly immersed in the game as an extension of the Westerosi world. It's not that dropping an "n" from Lann the Clever is a problem for mechanics or at the level of playing the game, but it can create some dissonance for the player trying to enjoy the game at a more complete, dare I say "literary," level.

I mean, it's not like the naming mistake stops me from playing Myrcella Lannister , but I roll my eyes every time I do.

If you're going to have a licensed product, get the license right, you know?

Exactly, Ktom. (And it's not like GRRM doesn't put a giant index of characters in the back of every one of his books...) If it seems nitpicky to you, then by all means, disregard the post. But I think there's a saying.. something about anything worth doing being worth doing right.

ktom said:

I mean, it's not like the naming mistake stops me from playing Myrcella Lannister , but I roll my eyes every time I do.

Same with me playing an Alliance Shaman in World of Warcraft: the Board Game . It's Naaru , not "Naruu". *sigh* Considering that my board game hobby began with 'Magic Sword", a ripoff of Talisman with an enormous number of typos (at least two per card), it's not much, but still, proofreading is not all about spellchecking (and spellchecking is not all about Microsoft Word ).